7.1.4 Setup For Around $7.5-9K

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
The Atlantic Technology 8200e looks really interesting. WMTMW design and the base is actually separate from the closed box speaker. While it's $5400 for a complete pair, the speakers without matching base are only $4000. Seems an odd price point though with stands. With the 8600e at $5700 why choose the 8200e unless it has to do with the THX Ultra certification.

FYI, looks like Arendal will be increasing their prices Nov.1/21. Probably going to see a lot of that in the next couple of months.

KING DRANZER

KING DRANZER

Audioholic
I am getting some cool recommendations from you guys. But what I wanna know is how they compare to JTR Noesis 212HTR. @Pogre @shadyJ how does JBL HDI compare to JTR Noesis.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
JBL HDI series is a 2 1/2 way center. I don’t know if Shady reviewed that one. There is a 3 way JBL 880 in another series. Not sure if they are a perfect match.

Not sure what center you are doing with the JTR Noasis unless you are doing 3 of the towers. Earlier you said that would be an issue and that you needed a center.

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
JBL HDI series is a 2 1/2 way center. I don’t know if Shady reviewed that one. There is a 3 way JBL 880 in another series. Not sure if they are a perfect match.

Not sure what center you are doing with the JTR Noasis unless you are doing 3 of the towers. Earlier you said that would be an issue and that you needed a center.
I believe they share the same compression driver tech but the 880 is a true 3 way with bigger drivers .

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord

Oh the damned center channel again! I would like to say that while it's true a 3 way center with the tweet over the mid is the better design with better dispersion, I do think it's a problem that is overblown. At 8-10 feet away you'd have to be pretty far off center before there's an issue. I am sorta on the 3 way center channel bandwagon, but I believe I'd make an exception for the HDI series. Or at least consider the 880 Array center with it. I'll bet they're a good timbre match.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Oh the damned center channel again! I would like to say that while it's true a 3 way center with the tweet over the mid is the better design with better dispersion, I do think it's a problem that is overblown. At 8-10 feet away you'd have to be pretty far off center before there's an issue. I am sorta on the 3 way center channel bandwagon, but I believe I'd make an exception for the HDI series. Or at least consider the 880 Array center with it. I'll bet they're a good timbre match.
Yes.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I am getting some cool recommendations from you guys. But what I wanna know is how they compare to JTR Noesis 212HTR. @Pogre @shadyJ how does JBL HDI compare to JTR Noesis.
The HDI speakers are a bit mellower than the JTR speakers that I have heard. The thing is, after system calibration, that probably won't be as much the case anymore after running something like Audyssey or Dirac. The JTR speakers will have an advantage in dynamic range, so they will play louder, although the JBLs can play pretty loud.

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
I agree in my room the off side seats left and right are I’d probably guess are 20 degrees off center in a 17 foot wide room at 12 feet from the center itself. The center image is firmly locked in at the center of the screen . Although the HDI uses different bass driver compositions in material the compression tweeter and wave guide is derived from the same synthesis family and I’d say would be a very good match . It’s a very neutral sounding center and even blends with my older towers very well .

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord

Just for the record...
Oh the damned center channel again!
That's not directed at all at you, lol. More facepalming myself for not checking on what type of center it was before suggesting it. Still tho, I do think it's an overblown issue and I think the HDI series offers the best of both worlds in accuracy and power for op. They're very good speakers.

KING DRANZER

KING DRANZER

Audioholic
Well then if JTR end up going over budget he will purchase JBL setup.

KING DRANZER

KING DRANZER

Audioholic
Plan to use JTR 212 HTR as center in Horizontal orientation. It should be fine right.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Plan to use JTR 212 HTR as center in Horizontal orientation. It should be fine right.
Dam that speaker is a beast , tell us how it goes . I don’t even have space for a center speaker that big Anywhere. I can only dream of a 3.5k speaker so expensive… $$$
Not that expensive for endgame gear , but front 3 for 10k woah . The volume level there capable of I’d never even touch 1/10 haha . How large is the room ?

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Love the Legacy stuff too. When you start getting into that price range there are lots of great options. Revel PerformaBe would be on my list too, like the F226Be (F328Be would be over budget). Probably not helping by bringing more brands into the mix. :D Any of the JTR, Paradigm Founder or Arendal setups would be killer.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Love the Legacy stuff too. When you start getting into that price range there are lots of great options. Revel PerformaBe would be on my list too, like the F226Be (F328Be would be over budget). Probably not helping by bringing more brands into the mix. :D Any of the JTR, Paradigm Founder or Arendal setups would be killer.
Yeah, I thought about that after I hit reply. But I’ve always been interested in Legacy, and promised myself a pair of whispers a long time ago. Still don’t have them daMnit!!!
Totally agree. Any of these setups would be great. I still think the HDI would win the day for me, but a full JTR setup with a pair of cap 4000’s!!! Holy balls. Pretty sure that would rock. PT(porcupine tree) at -5mv? Like sitting in the front row. Tickets would be a lot cheaper though lol

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Yeah, I thought about that after I hit reply. But I’ve always been interested in Legacy, and promised myself a pair of whispers a long time ago. Still don’t have them daMnit!!!
Totally agree. Any of these setups would be great. I still think the HDI would win the day for me, but a full JTR setup with a pair of cap 4000’s!!! Holy balls. Pretty sure that would rock. PT(porcupine tree) at -5mv? Like sitting in the front row. Tickets would be a lot cheaper though lol
Yeah, I forgot to list the JBLs. They've been around for so long that I have the bad tendency to think of them as old school, but the Synthesis line is pretty impressive. I grew up on horn midranges and tweeters and know how good they can sound when implemented properly, and super efficient.

KING DRANZER

KING DRANZER

Audioholic
Dam that speaker is a beast , tell us how it goes . I don’t even have space for a center speaker that big Anywhere. I can only dream of a 3.5k speaker so expensive… $$$
Not that expensive for endgame gear , but front 3 for 10k woah . The volume level there capable of I’d never even touch 1/10 haha . How large is the room ?
Currently 2000cft but will be moving into larger space of around 4000-5000cft or even more so yeah this gonna be perfect.

KING DRANZER

KING DRANZER

Audioholic
Yeah, I forgot to list the JBLs. They've been around for so long that I have the bad tendency to think of them as old school, but the Synthesis line is pretty impressive. I grew up on horn midranges and tweeters and know how good they can sound when implemented properly, and super efficient.
Do JBL HDI series go on similar sale like JBL Studio series which fall down to half the price. Like 40-50% discount. Just asking.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I wonder what they recommend at JTR for a center. Maybe the Noasis 210RM would work better horizontally than a 212HTR.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis