7.1.4 Setup For Around $7.5-9K

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
You are getting DISCOUNTS, right?

No matter WHAT brand you end up buying, definitely get discounts.

No matter which brands I've bought in the past, I've almost gotten discounts. Like when I bought the B&W 802D2, I got a 25% discount. When I bought the Revel Salon2, I got a 36% discount. Same goes for Focal, Dynaudio and every single Brick and Mortar brand.

Discount is one HUGE difference between Direct Internet brands vs. Brick & Mortar brands.
B&W and Salon2 are much higher $$$ which probably means that they have more margin built in to discount. That beging said, 25% does not sound unrealisitic for the speakers you are looking at, 36% might be a stretch

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
That was the listing off all the speakers I considered thanks to you guys and the community.

But now the competition is between Salk vs Paradigm vs JTR
You said he was looking for sound quality over surround aspect. Not sure what that means. Hence my confusion.

As far as music vs movies… A good speaker is a good speaker. Period. Imaging, dynamics, sound quality, and all that smooth chocolaty shitt people flap about…it’s all there, in movies AND music. Some people think that HT speakers are somehow a dumbed down version of high quality audiophile upper echelon audio nirvana inducing blah blah blah…
What does your friend want?
Salk vs paradigm vs JTR I so subjective. I think @Pogre mentioned, in the price bracket you guys are in the similarities are greater than the differences. That means you have to listen to speakers with your own ears. People telling you what’s “better” only means that’s better to them. Hell, your friend might not even like what you do! You might get him to buy a system that he hates! Lol. The three you’ve narrowed down to make very fine speakers indeed. But I’m afraid you’ve written off some just because they cost less.

KING DRANZER

KING DRANZER

Audioholic
You said he was looking for sound quality over surround aspect. Not sure what that means. Hence my confusion.

As far as music vs movies… A good speaker is a good speaker. Period. Imaging, dynamics, sound quality, and all that smooth chocolaty shitt people flap about…it’s all there, in movies AND music. Some people think that HT speakers are somehow a dumbed down version of high quality audiophile upper echelon audio nirvana inducing blah blah blah…
What does your friend want?
Salk vs paradigm vs JTR I so subjective. I think @Pogre mentioned, in the price bracket you guys are in the similarities are greater than the differences. That means you have to listen to speakers with your own ears. People telling you what’s “better” only means that’s better to them. Hell, your friend might not even like what you do! You might get him to buy a system that he hates! Lol. The three you’ve narrowed down to make very fine speakers indeed. But I’m afraid you’ve written off some just because they cost less.
I would have looked at Arendal which many are considering to be really good. But as I said the center channel in that is only 2-way so that is why we excluded it. He wants all speakers besides SUB timber-matched.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
He's willing to spend the 5.1 budget on higher quality 3.1 to start and add surround speakers later, instead of getting them all at once.

And yes, no one is going to be able to tell someone what's objectively better because it's not so objective once you narrow it down to a couple of great choices like op has. I might prefer the Founders, @ryanosaur the Salks and you might prefer the Arendals. Neither of us would be "wrong", it just reflects a preference, and besides, most of us will not have heard all the choices.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I'll add too, the new budget puts the 3 way Sierra ribbon towers with the 3 way Horizon ribbon center channel back in the mix. They're great speakers with high sensitivity, can handle lots of power and sound awesome doing it.

KING DRANZER

KING DRANZER

Audioholic
He's willing to spend the 5.1 budget on higher quality 3.1 to start and add surround speakers later, instead of getting them all at once.

And yes, no one is going to be able to tell someone what's objectively better because it's not so objective once you narrow it down to a couple of great choices like op has. I might prefer the Founders, @ryanosaur the Salks and you might prefer the Arendals. Neither of us would be "wrong", it just reflects a preference, and besides, most of us will not have heard all the choices.
Currently it is Paradigm Founder Series vs Salk Song 3 vs JTR Noesis 212 HTR. Arendal got ciked out of competition as it was lacking 3-way center channel. He needs all speakers besides SUB timber-matched.

KING DRANZER

KING DRANZER

Audioholic
I'll add too, the new budget puts the 3 way Sierra ribbon towers with the 3 way Horizon ribbon center channel back in the mix. They're great speakers with high sensitivity, can handle lots of power and sound awesome doing it.
Yes will take that into that consideration. Yes I think some one else also recommended that.

KING DRANZER

KING DRANZER

Audioholic
Whoever that was must be a genius...

:p
I don't know if you had any experience with JTR Speakers. But if you got a chance to listen to them please let me know how they were. Was JTR any good for Music and Movies.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I don't know if you had any experience with JTR Speakers. But if you got a chance to listen to them please let me know how they were. Was JTR any good for Music and Movies.
JTR has a great rep and are known for their sensitivity and power handling = superb dynamics. I'm assuming they perform equally well for music and ht.

We've been trying to get through to you, if a speaker is good for music it's good for movies too. This is a distinction I don't think needs much consideration at this level of speaker.

KING DRANZER

KING DRANZER

Audioholic
JTR has a great rep and are known for their sensitivity and power handling = superb dynamics. I'm assuming they perform equally well for music and ht.

We've been trying to get through to you, if a speaker is good for music it's good for movies too. This is a distinction I don't think needs much consideration at this level of speaker.
Yes Sir. But am just making sure to get that point checked. Because I heave heard that some speakers even though having extremely high detail and clarity and even good imaging lack sound-stage which is a fine compromise for Music but for Movies Sound-stage is really important.

KING DRANZER

KING DRANZER

Audioholic

And also that is the reason I am trying to find a speaker which is really good For Music. It needs to be highly detailed, neutral and with perfect imaging and for Movies and even for Music good Sound-stage is very important. I know how good JTR is for sound-stage and imaging but don't know if it is more detailed and clear than Paradigm or Salk or will he be compromised in that area.

Paradigm Founder Series I heard that it is bit harsh on high end with a small dip in higher mid range. That is what I have heard. While Salk is absolutely flat but have heard nothing much of its sound-stage. Am torn between the three.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
This is a bizarre list of finalists to choose from. These speakers are all very different. JTR and Salk have very different objectives. JTR is geared for huge dynamics whereas Salk is geared for tonal balance and a wide soundstage but more for a two-channel system. If your friend is planning to rock the house, JTR is the way to go, but if your friend is more concerned about getting the most out of stereo recordings, Salk is a great solution. To be sure, Salk is decent for dynamic range for most people, and JTR has very good tonality and soundstage as well. Paradigm's Founder series seems almost a meeting point between the two, although I have not heard the Founder's series yet.

KING DRANZER

KING DRANZER

Audioholic
This is a bizarre list of finalists to choose from. These speakers are all very different. JTR and Salk have very different objectives. JTR is geared for huge dynamics whereas Salk is geared for tonal balance and a wide soundstage but more for a two-channel system. If your friend is planning to rock the house, JTR is the way to go, but if your friend is more concerned about getting the most out of stereo recordings, Salk is a great solution. To be sure, Salk is decent for dynamic range for most people, and JTR has very good tonality and soundstage as well. Paradigm's Founder series seems almost a meeting point between the two, although I have not heard the Founder's series yet.
Sir I was waiting for your reply. How do JTR compare to Salk. Is it really lacking in tonal balance like which part of JTR is forward or recessed compared to Salk. How is JTR for Detail and Clarity in comparison to Salk. I though JTR was close to being Neutral. Yes sir and we are waiting for Paradigm review hopefully in coming month or two.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Sir I was waiting for your reply. How do JTR compare to Salk. Is it really lacking in tonal balance like which part of JTR is forward or recessed compared to Salk. How is JTR for Detail and Clarity in comparison to Salk. I though JTR was close to being Neutral. Yes sir and we are waiting for Paradigm review hopefully in coming month or two.
I have heard a lot of Salk and a lot of JTR. JTR aims for a neutral voicing, but they just aren't going to be able to match Salk for that. Many of Salk's speakers have a ruler-flat response. On the other hand, Salk speakers have nowhere near the dynamic range of JTR speakers. Salk speakers have decent dynamic range for a living room setup, but they wouldn't be my first choice for a THX Reference level home theater in a dedicated room. I take it your friend doesn't care about how the speakers look? Because Salk speakers are designed with appearance as a consideration, while JTR speakers don't give many concessions to aesthetic considerations.

As for Paradigm Founders review, don't hold your breath. While we were supposed to do a Founder's review, I haven't received the review samples yet, so I don't know when that is going to happen.

KING DRANZER

KING DRANZER

Audioholic
I have heard a lot of Salk and a lot of JTR. JTR aims for a neutral voicing, but they just aren't going to be able to match Salk for that. Many of Salk's speakers have a ruler-flat response. On the other hand, Salk speakers have nowhere near the dynamic range of JTR speakers. Salk speakers have decent dynamic range for a living room setup, but they wouldn't be my first choice for a THX Reference level home theater in a dedicated room. I take it your friend doesn't care about how the speakers look? Because Salk speakers are designed with appearance as a consideration, while JTR speakers don't give many concessions to aesthetic considerations.

As for Paradigm Founders review, don't hold your breath. While we were supposed to do a Founder's review, I haven't received the review samples yet, so I don't know when that is going to happen.
Yes Sir. He doesn't care for the looks. He need performance.
Will discuss this further further with my friend and let you know what he needs specifically. Thank you very much sir. This is what I was looking for.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Yes Sir. He doesn't care for the looks. He need performance.
Will discuss this further further with my friend and let you know what he needs specifically. Thank you very much sir. This is what I was looking for.
One of our reviewers here Mathew reviewed with measurements JTR speakers. The review is at the site @audionirvana He said they were some of the best speakers he's ever listened to and he ranked them up there with his forever speakers he currently owns

I seriously love horn loaded speakers if they are done correctly they have dynamics that are just hard for other designs to match. And there imaging Soundstage all the qualities you look for in a speaker are just great as well. Plus the wave guides that control dispersion help in setting them up in controlling reflections from the speakers with the room which helps with room treatments and with room eq

JTR speakers are considered by many to be some of the best horn loaded speakers out there. They were a top contender for my room but I needed something that looked as good as it performed hence my decision to go with RBH speakers

RBH is another brand I highly recommend they ARE my forever speakers and they hold up well with everything on your list

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I think of Salk as a high dollar luxury car with a leather interior and JTR more like a top fuel racing car. Both of them are top performers with advanced engineering and design, but have different goals. If THX HT is a focus I'd lean toward JTR. They have ridiculous dynamics and you're not paying for aesthetics. Every dollar is going into performance. I haven't heard them but I can't imagine them being "bad" for music. @William Lemmerhirt might have some input on JTR.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I think of Salk as a high dollar luxury car with a leather interior and JTR more like a top fuel racing car. Both of them are top performers with advanced engineering and design, but have different goals. If THX HT is a focus I'd lean toward JTR. They have ridiculous dynamics and you're not paying for aesthetics. Every dollar is going into performance. I haven't heard them but I can't imagine them being "bad" for music. @William Lemmerhirt might have some input on JTR.
@Pogre! Sup homes. Thanks for the translation earlier in the thread. I read it as a dis towards JBL and SVS. Should work on my compression skills maybe lol.

As far as JTR, no. I haven’t any direct experience with them. But have experienced similar types of speakers. For instance, my friends theater uses HTM12’s for LCR and htm10’s for surrounds. Insane dynamics!!! Imaging didn’t suffer either, and the stupid amount of subs in there helped a lot.
I’m struggling to offer much here since it seems a little foggy as to the goal.(my interpretation skills? Lol)
At some point they’re gonna have to just pull the trigger on something. Personally I like the Arendal towers, and am not convinced the two way center is enough to cross it off based on that alone. I think I would seriously be looking at the HDI3800 from JBL, or even something from Revel. A couple guys mentioned RBH. Great option there too. Is my kind is swimming even more…lmao.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
@Pogre! Sup homes. Thanks for the translation earlier in the thread. I read it as a dis towards JBL and SVS. Should work on my compression skills maybe lol.

As far as JTR, no. I haven’t any direct experience with them. But have experienced similar types of speakers. For instance, my friends theater uses HTM12’s for LCR and htm10’s for surrounds. Insane dynamics!!! Imaging didn’t suffer either, and the stupid amount of subs in there helped a lot.
I’m struggling to offer much here since it seems a little foggy as to the goal.(my interpretation skills? Lol)
At some point they’re gonna have to just pull the trigger on something. Personally I like the Arendal towers, and am not convinced the two way center is enough to cross it off based on that alone. I think I would seriously be looking at the HDI3800 from JBL, or even something from Revel. A couple guys mentioned RBH. Great option there too. Is my kind is swimming even more…lmao.
Oh yeah the JBL HDI line great idea bro didn't think of that one good call

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis