7.1.4 Setup For Around $7.5-9K

KING DRANZER

KING DRANZER

Audioholic
What is the best possible 7.1.4 Dolby Atmos Setup for $7.5-9K.

This is what I am looking at:

Receiver: Denon AVR-X3700H
Subwoofer: Rythmik FV18

Setup 1:
Klipsch RP-504C x 1
Klipsch RP-8000F x 2
Klipsch RP-60000F x 4
Klipsch RP-400M x 4

Setup 2:
KEF Q650C x 1
KEF Q750 x 2
KEF Q350 x 4
KEF Q150 x 4

Setup 3:
JBL Studio 580 x 1 (Center)
JBL Studio 590 x 2
JBL Studio 580 x 4
JBL Studio 530 x 4

Setup 4:
Paradigm Premier 600C x 1
Paradigm Premier 800F x 2
Paradigm Premier 200B x 4
Paradigm Monitor SE Atom x 4

Setup 5:
SVS Ultra Center x 1
SVS Ultra Tower x 2
SVS Ultra Bookshelf x 4
SVS Prime Satellite x 4

Last edited:
S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I like the Klipsch RP-8000F, but it wouldn't really be my choice for a surround sound system because it is saddled with what is likely a mediocre center speaker. The center speaker is the most important channel in a surround sound system. If I were you, I would be looking at center speakers first and foremost, and then let that dictate the rest of the speaker line. Some better center speakers are the Paradigm Premier centers, Polk Legend, Monoprice Monolith, Arendal 1723. Any line that has an actual halfway-decent center is likely to have very good floor-standers and stand-mount speakers.

Those particular Rythmik subs don't look like especially great performers. It stuffs their budget driver in a large enclosure and gives it a deep tuning frequency. That isn't a recipe for greatness, and you can do much better for $1k per sub. The Hsu VTF-3 mk5 and Monoprice Monolith 12" THX Ultra will easily outperform that thing for around the same pricing. If I were going with Rythmik, I wouldn't get anything that uses a lesser driver than the DS1510 drivers.

The Denon AVR should be very good (assuming you can get one), but my concern is that you are spreading its power supply too thin by using all 9 channels. At the very least, I would power ALL the surround and atmos speakers with outboard amplification. Also, make sure the AVR has good ventilation in a cool area.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Why not use external amplification for the three front channels rather than on all the surround and Atmos speakers? The front channels require a lot more power than any of the other channels. The AVR would easily drive the other speakers.

KING DRANZER

KING DRANZER

Audioholic
Why not use external amplification for the three front channels rather than on all the surround and Atmos speakers? The front channels require a lot more power than any of the other channels. The AVR would easily drive the other speakers.
Any good 3-channel amplifiers for cheap.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Any good 3-channel amplifiers for cheap.
For the amplifiers on your three front channels, I would suggest the Monolith 3 or 3 Outlaw 2220 Monoblocks. At present, the main problem is the supply of electronics caused by the shortage of semiconductors. Some products are out of stock and you might have to be patient. However, the Monoblocks are selling at a good discount now ($300 instead of $399).

If you can find the AVR-X3700H, don't hesitate and grab it as there are not that many left. You could use it while waiting for the external amps.

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
For the amplifiers on your three front channels, I would suggest the Monolith 3 or 3 Outlaw 2200 Monoblocks. At present, the main problem is the supply of electronics caused by the shortage of semiconductors. Those products are out of stock and you might have to be patient.

If you can find the AVR-X3700H, don't hesitate and grab it as there are not that many left. You could use it while waiting for the external amps.
I agree with the idea of powering the front 3 with a more powerful amp, but cost wise might be cheaper to get a smaller, less expensive multi channel amp for the surrounds?

KING DRANZER

KING DRANZER

Audioholic
I like the Klipsch RP-8000F, but it wouldn't really be my choice for a surround sound system because it is saddled with what is likely a mediocre center speaker. The center speaker is the most important channel in a surround sound system. If I were you, I would be looking at center speakers first and foremost, and then let that dictate the rest of the speaker line. Some better center speakers are the Paradigm Premier centers, Polk Legend, Monoprice Monolith, Arendal 1723. Any line that has an actual halfway-decent center is likely to have very good floor-standers and stand-mount speakers.

Those particular Rythmik subs don't look like especially great performers. It stuffs their budget driver in a large enclosure and gives it a deep tuning frequency. That isn't a recipe for greatness, and you can do much better for $1k per sub. The Hsu VTF-3 mk5 and Monoprice Monolith 12" THX Ultra will easily outperform that thing for around the same pricing. If I were going with Rythmik, I wouldn't get anything that uses a lesser driver than the DS1510 drivers.

The Denon AVR should be very good (assuming you can get one), but my concern is that you are spreading its power supply too thin by using all 9 channels. At the very least, I would power ALL the surround and atmos speakers with outboard amplification. Also, make sure the AVR has good ventilation in a cool area.
That Setup is clearly way above the Budget. Is it really worth $2.5-3K extra.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
I agree with the idea of powering the front 3 with a more powerful amp, but cost wise might be cheaper to get a smaller, less expensive multi channel amp for the surrounds?
Do you know of any affordable 6 channel amp that would cost less than a Monolith 3 or the Monoblocks? The front channels demand a lot more power than all the surround channels combined. I don't see much advantage in external amplification for the surround speakers.

Last edited:
Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
How about one Monoprice Monolith 12" THX Ultra which Shady recommends instead? The OP could get a second one later.

As for the HSU, I wouldn't go for that product as it uses a less efficient Class AB amp which might not last long in a small box. The Monolith uses a cooler Class D amp which is a wise decision.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
How about one Monoprice Monolith 12" THX Ultra which Shady recommends instead? The OP could get a second one later.

As for the HSU, I wouldn't go for that product as it uses a less efficient Class AB amp which might not last long in a small box. The Monolith uses a cooler Class D amp which is a wise decision.
I do really like the Mono subs and agree with the recommendation.

I will add however, I do have a pair of HSUs, love my bass and have never felt the plate amps on the backs get any more than lukewarm. Even after a spirited afternoon in the sub candy thread. Never felt them get hot and I'm coming up on 5 years with them now. Oh I should add too, I also have a third big ported sub in the room so between the 3 of them I don't have to run them hard to fill the room with bass so that's a factor too.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord

If this was for me…
I saw the OP posted in another forum, and iirc the room was pretty large. The fv18 is a much better subwoofer and would handle the volume better. Monoprice has a good stable of subs, so I’m not knocking them.

KING DRANZER

KING DRANZER

Audioholic
If this was for me…
I saw the OP posted in another forum, and iirc the room was pretty large. The fv18 is a much better subwoofer and would handle the volume better. Monoprice has a good stable of subs, so I’m not knocking them.
Yes I am going for Rythmik FV18. One for now. If feel like adding second one. Will do so over time. For now budget allows only one.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Yes I am going for Rythmik FV18. One for now. If feel like adding second one. Will do so over time. For now budget allows only one.
I think that’s a great choice. How many seats are you cover? If only one MAIN seat I see no problem with your plan. If multiple seats are in the equation, too bad…lol

KING DRANZER

KING DRANZER

Audioholic
I think that’s a great choice. How many seats are you cover? If only one MAIN seat I see no problem with your plan. If multiple seats are in the equation, too bad…lol
One Main Couch 3 seater. As there is only one Subwoofer I will probably place it in horizontal orientation under the Center Chanel(center channel not gonna sit on the subwoofer it will be 9-10" above it)

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
I guess you missed the point of me asking for "Cheap" 3-channel Amplifier(not amplifiers).
You don't need to be sarcastic! We are just trying to help you.

Then for one 3 amplifier chassis, I'm afraid you're going to have to wait to find a good cheap 3 channel amplifier. For example, the Monoprice Monolith 3 lists at $1299 and it's out of stock as so many other electronics, for the reasons which I stated in one of my previous posts.

Last edited:
KING DRANZER

KING DRANZER

Audioholic
You don't need to be sarcastic! We are just trying to help you.

Then for one 3 amplifier chassis, I'm afraid you're going to have to wait to find a good cheap 3 channel amplifier. For example, the Monoprice Monolith 3 lists at $1299 and it's out of stock as so many other electronics, for the reasons which I stated in one of my previous posts.
I guess I will settle for Emotiva Basx A3.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis