65” recommendations

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Just my two cents on this:
1. Burn in is real, it does occur.
2. Knowing about burn-in and being aware that it may occur is the best way to ensure that it will NEVER occur.

I had a plasma for years. Both a Pioneer and a Samsung, and I played some video games on them. But, after about a 4 hour run, I would turn it off and watch TV for the rest of the day. I could do this forever and I never had any burn-in issues. Why? Because I mixed up the content and was aware of what I was doing.

If I were to buy it exclusively for gaming, it might be another issue entirely.

Yes, OLED rocks. Period. It's the best looking display... period. But, it isn't perfect. Both brightness and burn-in are some real concerns. The black levels are second to none. The pixel response time is faster than LCD, but not as fast as plasma was. Oh, and it's a bit pricey.

But, at the end of the day, LCD often wins out because it really is quite nice looking and a fair bit less costly to get 90% of that image quality which OLED delivers.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I’m definitely worried about burn in from OLED. My 2009 54in Panasonic plasma has burn in on the corner from all those TV station logos. It’s light, but it’s there.

I’ll hopefully be in the market for a 75in TV at Christmas time.

T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
Screen burn in is real but I feel for most people unlikely.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Burn in is possible, but (as @TLS Guy put it) if you are aware of it, it can be avoided.

I used a 42" plasma as my PC monitor for years and never had an issue.

I game on my current 65" plasma and haven't had any issues.

Burn in typically occurs when a static image is on the screen for a significant amount of time. Don't do that and you should be good.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Burn in is possible, but (as @TLS Guy put it) if you are aware of it, it can be avoided.

I used a 42" plasma as my PC monitor for years and never had an issue.

I game on my current 65" plasma and haven't had any issues.

Burn in typically occurs when a static image is on the screen for a significant amount of time. Don't do that and you should be good.
I agree, fear of burn in is NOT a good reason for me to avoid OLED.

Other users may have a different set of priorities and a different set of biases. But I'm not going to forego the best image quality for something that can be avoided.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I agree, fear of burn in is NOT a good reason for me to avoid OLED.

Other users may have a different set of priorities and a different set of biases. But I'm not going to forego the best image quality for something that can be avoided.
Agreed. If you are aware of a potential issue it's easier to avoid. I do remember reading that the burn in for OLED is pretty much gone at this point since panels have matured.

I was so excited about OLED TVs coming out and then they decided to go through the same growing pains plasma did by having image retention and burn in. By the time I purchased my first plasma they had all but eliminated the issue (Panasonic anyway, samsung, not so much).

If OLED ends up the same as Plasma then I'd gladly buy one and use it for a decade like my plasmas.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Agreed. If you are aware of a potential issue it's easier to avoid. I do remember reading that the burn in for OLED is pretty much gone at this point since panels have matured.

I was so excited about OLED TVs coming out and then they decided to go through the same growing pains plasma did by having image retention and burn in. By the time I purchased my first plasma they had all but eliminated the issue (Panasonic anyway, samsung, not so much).

If OLED ends up the same as Plasma then I'd gladly buy one and use it for a decade like my plasmas.
I'm still running my 12 year old Sammy LCD, 52". Granted it is now in my man-cave/media room, as it was replaced by a 65" LG OLED in the Living Room. Newer would also be lighter and slimmer.

It is old, and I could certainly get better image quality on a new TV at 30% of what I paid for it back then. But, it is still a very good image and I plan to run it until the wheels fall off.

About the only place that I could really complain is fast motion panning during sports, but I'm not a huge sports fan anyway.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I'm still running my 12 year old Sammy LCD, 52". Granted it is now in my man-cave/media room, as it was replaced by a 65" LG OLED in the Living Room. Newer would also be lighter and slimmer.

It is old, and I could certainly get better image quality on a new TV at 30% of what I paid for it back then. But, it is still a very good image and I plan to run it until the wheels fall off.

About the only place that I could really complain is fast motion panning during sports, but I'm not a huge sports fan anyway.
Same with my 65" panasonic. I use it often and don't plan to replace until it dies.

The 42" panasonic is great, but it's just sitting waiting to be used. Still works great and is one of the few 1080p models in that size.

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General

I really think people should pay more attention to consumers who have experienced burn-in instead of reports from review sites like Rtings. To the people that spent their hard on money on OLED only to experience burn-in warnings should not be dismissed.

I have owned a plasma that had burn in, Panasonic VT60 and plasma that did not, Pioneer Kuro.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I really think people should pay more attention to consumers who have experienced burn-in instead of reports from review sites like Rtings. To the people that spent their hard on money on OLED only to experience burn-in warnings should not be dismissed.

I have owned a plasma that had burn in, Panasonic VT60 and plasma that did not, Pioneer Kuro.
I would agree, but if that customer base that has burn in is only 1 out of 100 TVs sold, then I don't think their experience should pull more weight just because it's negative.

Sorry about your VT60, but mine has been solid it's whole life, and that includes a silly amount of hours gaming without any OSD burn in at all, in any way.

If you watch CNN for 5 hours a day, or any channel that has constant static images, don't buy a TV that could burn in. Simple as that.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
If you watch CNN for 5 hours a day, or any channel that has constant static images, don't buy a TV that could burn in. Simple as that.
To put it another way......Always use the right tool for the job!

And, if you use the wrong tool for the job, don't complain when you break your tools.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I have owned a plasma that had burn in
So, my first question would be: How did it get burn in?

This is often something people complain about, but then they don't really talk about how they got the burn in. Since it is avoidable for most typical users, I often wonder why people seem so mum about what exactly is burned in.

"After four weeks of watching CNN at maximum brightness for ten hours a day, the damn TV has burn in!!!!"
Wait.... WUT?
Or, similar for video games with static display and heavy usage.

It's all about the right tool for the job, but reviewers that complain, and don't put out details, really are FAR more meaningless than controlled setups designed for real world testing.

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
I would agree, but if that customer base that has burn in is only 1 out of 100 TVs sold, then I don't think their experience should pull more weight just because it's negative.

Sorry about your VT60, but mine has been solid it's whole life, and that includes a silly amount of hours gaming without any OSD burn in at all, in any way.

I think its more like 10% out of 100 sets sold will experience some burn-in.

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
So, my first question would be: How did it get burn in?

This is often something people complain about, but then they don't really talk about how they got the burn in. Since it is avoidable for most typical users, I often wonder why people seem so mum about what exactly is burned in.

"After four weeks of watching CNN at maximum brightness for ten hours a day, the damn TV has burn in!!!!"
Wait.... WUT?
Or, similar for video games with static display and heavy usage.

It's all about the right tool for the job, but reviewers that complain, and don't put out details, really are FAR more meaningless than controlled setups designed for real world testing.
Its was said at the time that those TV's were incapable of burn-in. I had my TV on the THX mode which was supposed to safe from burn-in.

T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
Its was said at the time that those TV's were incapable of burn-in. I had my TV on the THX mode which was supposed to safe from burn-in.
It was said by who? Was it said by you with personal first hand experience? Was it said by the local salesman trying to sell you a new TV? Was it said to you by a friend with personal first hand knowledge that you can quote? Lastly, was it said on some random forum you read on the internet and can you link the source? Context is important

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
That was the only thing that Plasma HD TVs had a issue with was burn in. I miss my Plasma

Andon

Andon

Audioholic
Most burn in on an OLED is temporary if it occurs at all. They all have smart timers, screen savers etc... you really need to be stupid to do it but I guess all those warning labels were written for someone.
Ok, I did not mean burn in, I know what burn in is and how to avoid it ( not that gumb) what I mean is DISCOLORATION. To bether explain it : When on back ground I have a really bright colts lake yellow or orange, blue'ish or green'ish spot ( blurb) is visible. Hope the picture will give you better understanding.

Attachments

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Ok, I did not mean burn in, I know what burn in is and how to avoid it ( not that gumb) what I mean is DISCOLORATION. To bether explain it : When on back ground I have a really bright colts lake yellow or orange, blue'ish or green'ish spot ( blurb) is visible. Hope the picture will give you better understanding.
That looks like burn in to me.

In the plasma days, it was called "uneven phosphor wear", now it is just uneven wear. Pretty much the same thing. You somehow had a color that was overly used and is under bright. Looks like red. So, on a yellow background, you end up with sections that are more green than other sections.

You can go through your screen refresher, if you haven't already, and see if that helps. If it doesn't, then the question is what you may have viewed which really used up the RED brightness or if it was all due to a manufacturer defect. Yep, I could see a class action if this was a common event. Certainly worth calling LG about.

If it is in the shape of a specific logo or channel name, or game's heads up display, then it's really on you.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis