S

smoke68_61

Junior Audioholic
ok I have $600-$800 to spend on a subwoofer, I would like some recommendations if you guys don't mind.... Im wanting bass that I can really feel and superior sound quality. I may be hoping for to much considering my budget???

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
That's why I asked room size :) You will want to be looking for something pretty hefty, but I think those two will probably be adequate. The XV-15 is probably going to be a better choice for a big room.

theJman

theJman

Audioholic Chief
its about 25X30 maybe a little bigger
I'm afraid there's not an $800 subwoofer in the world that will put a dent in a room that size. Even if the ceilings are only 8' that gives you 6000 ft^3, which is a huge amount of space. While most of the subwoofers suggested thus far are very nice units, they'll all be completely overwhelmed by that room.

R

ratm

Audioholic
Man thats a huge room (6000cf with an 8 foot ceiling). Shady is right, the XV15 is going to give you the best output for that price. Is DIY an option?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
If your placement for the sub is restricted to the corner or somewhere like that, yeah, you are going to need a massive sub for a room of that size, and even then it will not equal the kind of pressures you feel in a good car subwoofer. If you can handle near-field placement, which is placing the sub very close to the listening position, then you do not need an extremely powerful subwoofer for a good bass sound. Plus, near-field placement will make the bass feel more like you are used to with car audio since you are usually in closer proximity to the woofer in a car (even here though it still want match a powerful sub in a car cabin). Typical near-field placements are end-table placement next to the seat, or right behind the seat.

If you don't feel like spending to the upper ranges of your budget, here are two subs closer to 600 than 800 which would do well in a near-field configuration: Hsu VTF2 mk4 and Outlaw Audio LFM-1 Plus. Both are down-firing, and the with the LFM you can get a wireless signal transmitter at a discount in case running wire is a problem. They are both about the same size and shape of a normal end table. The VTF3 makes for a great endtable sub to, if slightly larger than a typical endtable, you can have the side-firing driver blast right into the seat for a real punch.

I think the XV15 would be better behind the seat, as it is a bit tall for an end table, however what might work great with that one is place it behind the seat with the port facing the listening position. That way you get hit almost directly by the low frequency producer at a relatively short distance, I imagine this would have a visceral feeling. I should add that you would not want to place the port right next to the seat, that would mute the port and nullify its low frequency output- you would want to give that port about the same distance of space as the diameter of its vent, in this case 4". This placement ought to also work well with the VTF2 as its ports are rear firing like like the XV15, but you wouldn't need as much distance from the seat since the port diameter is not as large (something like 2" or 2.5").

S

smoke68_61

Junior Audioholic
Awesome thanks shady I may reconsider some things then I was about to Pull the tigger on the svs pb12 nsd because I just hear so much about how good the sound quality is but I also am thinking about the xv15 because its a larger driver and power... Shoot I don't know lol I may consider DIY too because I have experience with building boxes for car audio but I'm kinda wanting it now lol

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
I was about to Pull the tigger on the svs pb12 nsd because I just hear so much about how good the sound quality is but I also am thinking about the xv15 because its a larger driver and power...
The PB12-NSD is a fine sub no doubt, but in your case where you want to squeeze as much output as possible for your money, the XV-15 has a big advantage:

I XV15 CEA2010 CHART.PNG Full Screen Image — Reviews and News from Audioholics
PB12-NSD CEA2010 CHART.PNG Full Screen Image — Reviews and News from Audioholics

From 32Hz-80Hz, the PSA holds an average of a 6dB output edge over the SVS, which equates to a 2-1 advantage.

S

smoke68_61

Junior Audioholic
Wow a 2-1 advantage on dbs? Well I'd say the xv15 will be the one for me :) thanks Steve

T

Tom V.

Audioholic
Room size is mainly relevant only when other variables are known. For example, a common room layout(regardless of size) is to have the seating positions 12-15ft away from the wall with the screen(video). The subwoofer will often be placed in/near the front corner closest to the key seating. Let's say 5 meters from the seats on average. At this point, the room size almost becomes a non factor. You have a couple of considerations though.

a) PVG (room gain). The smaller the effective room area the more you get. But even larger rooms will show a bit unless you get into auditorium sizes. It may seem counter intuitive to some but if the 6000 cu-ft is somewhat enclosed I'd bet you'll still see a little PVG starting around 35hz. 1-2dB by 30, 2-3dB by 25hz, 3-4dB by 20hz, etc.

b)in a smaller room the seating positions could be up against a boundary/wall. In a 6000 cu-ft room, unlikely unless the system was oriented "sideways". Seats against the wall have pro/con. The pro is you'll tend to get more overall bass volume. The con is you will also tend to have more room induced variations in the frequency response.

But otherwise, the subwoofer is going to provide fairly similar performance to the seating positions regardless if the room is 3000,6000,9000 cu-ft.

There is a very good article on this site about subwoofer room size ratings and how they formulate it. There's not too many variables to consider here(starting with the outside 2m CEA stuff). Boundary effect(is it corner loaded?), distance between sub and key seats(remember the inverse-sq won't apply in room), and PVG(expected room gain).

This isn't to say room size is completely irrelevant of course, it is one of my first questions when someone email/phones in with a "what should I get" inquiry. With a smaller(say 2000 cu-ft or less) room the subwoofer will be close to the seats(within 3-4 meters) barring some very unusual room dimensions. In a 6000 cu-ft or larger room the subwoofer-to-listener distance may still be similar to that. Or, it may be MUCH further. This is really the key. Then just find out how low/loud is required and you're finished..:)

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

S

smoke68_61

Junior Audioholic
Well thank you very much Tom for all your useful information:) sounds like placement of the subwoofer is a big factor and ill be doing a lot of moving of furniture for awhile lol

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I've heard an older SVS cylinder in a very large room ~25x40 with high vaulted ceilings, but the listening position was somewhat close to the sub and corner loaded and I thought it sounded great. My house has an almost completely open floor plan and because of the layout where I have the system (2nd system), I actually don't need that much sub to fill that room adequately.

This isn't to say room size is completely irrelevant of course, it is one of my first questions when someone email/phones in with a "what should I get" inquiry. With a smaller(say 2000 cu-ft or less) room the subwoofer will be close to the seats(within 3-4 meters) barring some very unusual room dimensions. In a 6000 cu-ft or larger room the subwoofer-to-listener distance may still be similar to that. Or, it may be MUCH further. This is really the key. Then just find out how low/loud is required and you're finished..

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
One question/comment I have about this then I guess is the opposite of that - it is definitely possible to have not enough sub for a large room, but in this case I don't think that will be a problem with the subs recommended right? Taking these factors into consideration, how does one know when it is not enough sub to expect "average" output in a large room?

Some of us like and expect exceptional bass, perhaps more than the "typical" user, so recommendations here often tend toward a beefier sub because that's what AH'ers are used to IMO.

Room size rating: http://www.audioholics.com/education/loudspeaker-basics/subwoofer-room-size

Last edited:
lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I'd say the typical person is easily satisfied with any of these subs. But truly great subs really help a theater.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis