6 of the Best Flagship AV Receivers Compared for 2018!

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Is AV controller the best such app for yamaha? Or there are 3rd party apps too?
I like that one better than the MusicCast one. You might want to download it as well. Not sure about 3rd party.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
DEQ still accomplishes what it does by a loudness algorithm based on frequency and volume....

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
That's great to hear! Check out the "midrange compensation" option. You can switch that on or off for each channel pair. I've got mine all set to off.
Thank you, but it seems that in my room I don't have such dip. I disabled it regardless.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I can tell you that the app didn't work at all on my OnePlus 5. It kept losing connection to the receiver after a few min. Got a refund and am hoping that they've fixed the issues. I know that @Pogre had tons of issues with the app so if you are having success it may be time for me to try it again.
I was very dissatisfied with the results when I tried to use it. I would get fairly drastically different results when I went through the app to do the room measurements as opposed to going through just the receiver. I could hear and measure the difference. I finally gave up and got my money back.

I didn't know you had it and had problems too. How did it misbehave for you? Android version?

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I was very dissatisfied with the results when I tried to use it. I would get fairly drastically different results when I went through the app to do the room measurements as opposed to going through just the receiver. I could hear and measure the difference. I finally gave up and got my money back.

I didn't know you had it and had problems too. How did it misbehave for you? Android version?
I tried it around the same time you did. I think my phone was 7.1.1 at that time. I gave it about 10 min to behave and then uninstalled and asked for a refund.

@PENG has another thread where he's testing it. He seems to be having better luck than we did. Maybe they fixed something. I couldn't even get mine to stay connected to my receiver.

Grunt66

Grunt66

Audioholic Intern
I have to add the Arcam AVR-850 to the list. I have a Pioneer SC-LX901 in my main listening area. Over the past couple of months I had the Arcam AVR-550 (open box from Best Buy but returned due to issues with the setup of DIRAC). Then I purchased a Anthem AVM-60 (HDMI hand shake issue returned) then I purchased a Denon 4400 and returned because of 2 channel audio quality.

I then went back to Best But Design center and auditioned the Marantz, Pioneer, Denon, and Arcam. I was looking for the best 2 channel music listening experience with the ability to watch movies. The bottom line the Arcam won hands down against the others. This is my opinion and while it does not have all the bells and whistles of the Marantz and Denon for 2 channel listening the Arcam is truly the top dog.

D

dmor2900

Audiophyte
Very nice list of receivers but I don't understand how you could leave the Anthem MRX-1120 off that list particularly with it's ARC room correction software. I have owned Yamaha, Denon and Pioneer over the years. They are good receivers, but the Anthem is special. Please consider it in your next review.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Very nice list of receivers but I don't understand how you could leave the Anthem MRX-1120 off that list particularly with it's ARC room correction software. I have owned Yamaha, Denon and Pioneer over the years. They are good receivers, but the Anthem is special. Please consider it in your next review.
The article is focused solely on NEW 2018 models.

R

Roman Lewandowski

Audiophyte
Great lineup of Recivers I have been a Yamaha man for the last 25 years from the early Prologic recivers to my first Dolby Digital A1. we went from the A1 to the RXA 2000, RXA 3020, RXA 3050, RXA 3060 and RXA 3070. I was disappointed in the sound from the 3070 the 3060 was better, so I took a chance on the new Marantz SR8012 wow! Love the sound. Hopefully the reliability is as good as the Yamaha’s has been.

A

alex30

Enthusiast
I would love to be able to listen to these receivers in my room. I have recently stopped using a Marantz 7010 because I found it could sound harsh with music and struggled to play some Atmos movies well. I put the latter down to a difficult room. It is an attic room with sloping ceilings that meet above the screen and my chair. Far from ideal for Atmos. I mounted bookshelf speakers on these ceilings to give me a 7.2.4 and used a stereo amp with the Marantz.
Some Atmos tracks would get congested and muddled, probably due to the upper speakers being just six feet from the ground. It was sometimes worthwhile but at other times not very immersive and I became frustrated.

I upgraded to an Arcam AVR 850 coupled with an Arcam FMJ P7. All I can say is that the improvement for music was substantial but the improvement for movies was unbelievable, way beyond expectations. Now I know what immersive sound really is. I get a very precise soundstage all around and above me with more detail than I had before and coupled with extensive dynamics.

The 850 comes with Dirac Live which is a great weapon to have in the kit bag and not too difficult to get to grips with once you have done some needed research.
I always liked Audyssey XT32 for bass management but not so much for the other frequencies. I find Dirac Live to be great across the whole range and love the tweakable graphs it produces. The only niggle I would have is that the 850 only allows two different crossovers. One for the floor speakers and a second for all the uppers. Each speaker (or pair) should have it's own crossover options.

The upgrade cost me more that I ever thought I would spend to get great Atmos/music and I was concerned that I may not hear any significant improvements. I actually got much more than expected and the extra enjoyment I get is priceless . Knowing what I know now I would absolutely do it again.

R

Roman Lewandowski

Audiophyte
I would love to be able to listen to these receivers in my room. I have recently stopped using a Marantz 7010 because I found it could sound harsh with music and struggled to play some Atmos movies well. I put the latter down to a difficult room. It is an attic room with sloping ceilings that meet above the screen and my chair. Far from ideal for Atmos. I mounted bookshelf speakers on these ceilings to give me a 7.2.4 and used a stereo amp with the Marantz.
Some Atmos tracks would get congested and muddled, probably due to the upper speakers being just six feet from the ground. It was sometimes worthwhile but at other times not very immersive and I became frustrated.

I upgraded to an Arcam AVR 850 coupled with an Arcam FMJ P7. All I can say is that the improvement for music was substantial but the improvement for movies was unbelievable, way beyond expectations. Now I know what immersive sound really is. I get a very precise soundstage all around and above me with more detail than I had before and coupled with extensive dynamics.

The 850 comes with Dirac Live which is a great weapon to have in the kit bag and not too difficult to get to grips with once you have done some needed research.
I always liked Audyssey XT32 for bass management but not so much for the other frequencies. I find Dirac Live to be great across the whole range and love the tweakable graphs it produces. The only niggle I would have is that the 850 only allows two different crossovers. One for the floor speakers and a second for all the uppers. Each speaker (or pair) should have it's own crossover options.

The upgrade cost me more that I ever thought I would spend to get great Atmos/music and I was concerned that I may not hear any significant improvements. I actually got much more than expected and the extra enjoyment I get is priceless . Knowing what I know now I would absolutely do it again.
Great to hear you have got what you wanted first go I have had 7 flagship receivers from the A1 to RXA 3070 and finally the SR8012 from Marantz. It is a same we unable to try all the receivers in your home.

I

ichigo

Full Audioholic
Meh, guess we'll have to wait until 2019 models for HDMI 2.1.

B

BRIAN_PDX

Enthusiast
I have had terrible luck with Denon receivers and also wonder why Rotel did not make the list. Excellent equipment.

R

Roman Lewandowski

Audiophyte
This one’s for Gene every salesperson that I’ve spoken to has said you’re better off driving the main speakers of our 7.2.4 system with a separate amplifier, now I have the SR 8012 is this still the case? as I have a anthem PVA 4 which is 125w into 8 omes all channels driven, what decides the quality of the sound the Marantz or the anthem when playing stereo as I find the sound for music sounds better coming from the Marantz on its one. And what does 125 W continuous mean. I would appreciate your advise

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
This one’s for Gene every salesperson that I’ve spoken to has said you’re better off driving the main speakers of our 7.2.4 system with a separate amplifier, now I have the SR 8012 is this still the case? as I have a anthem PVA 4 which is 125w into 8 omes all channels driven, what decides the quality of the sound the Marantz or the anthem when playing stereo as I find the sound for music sounds better coming from the Marantz on its one. And what does 125 W continuous mean. I would appreciate your advise
It depends on better off in what sense. There is obviously benefits in using a separate amp in terms of lesser net heat accumulation inside the receiver. other than that, depending on your room dimensions, sitting distance, how loud you listen to, external amp will give you additional power if you purchase one that is more powerful than the receiver. For lowering the operating temperature, you can achieve the same by simply adding a $15 quiet Infinity fan on top of the enclosure, providing the unit more room to breathe, or both.

That Anthem amp won't give any meaningful additional output compared to the SR8012. To make some meaningful difference you will need something like the MCA525, or the MCA225 if you just want to make some gains in Stereo.

"Continuous" is not well defined in amps and receivers power output rating, other than it seems obvious that most of the time they don't not mean continuous literally. It could simply mean average power output based on a "continuous" sine wave for a minute, 2 minute, 5, 10 or 15 minute duration. You can email Marantz, but their customer service will not likely give you a credible answer, unless you can somehow talk to the guy in charge of the engineering/design department. Sometimes they tell you if they follow certain rules such as FTC, DIN, IEC's etc.

Last edited:
R

Roman Lewandowski

Audiophyte
It depends on better off in what sense. There is obviously benefits in using a separate amp in terms of lesser net heat accumulation inside the receiver. other than that, depending on your room dimensions, sitting distance, how loud you listen to, external amp will give you additional power if you purchase one that is more powerful than the receiver. For lowering the operating temperature, you can achieve the same by simply adding a $15 quiet Infinity fan on top of the enclosure, providing the unit more room to breathe, or both.

That Anthem amp won't give any meaningful additional output compared to the SR8012. To make some meaningful difference you will need something like the MCA525, or the MCA225 if you just want to make some gains in Stereo.

"Continuous" is not well defined in amps and receivers power output rating, other than it seems obvious that most of the time they don't not mean continuous literally. It could simply mean average power output based on a "continuous" sine wave for a minute, 2 minute, 5, 10 or 15 minute duration. You can email Marantz, but their customer service will not likely give you a credible answer, unless you can somehow talk to the guy in charge of the engineering/design department. Sometimes they tell you if they follow certain rules such as FTC, DIN, IEC's etc.

Thank you for your response it clears up a few things for me much appreciated. I am running a full Klipsch reference RP 280f series fronts RP 450 centre ,RP250s sides RP 150 rears rears CDT3650-c11 elevation speakers and two clips 12 inch subs they are very efficient speakers so I wouldn’t think I need more power in room that is 16 feet by 20 ‘9 feet ceilings it does open into a kitchen at one end and opens into sitting room at the other end. Thanks again

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General

What you experienced is what they call the "expectation effect".

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis