$6,500 Home Theater System - Great Looks & Performance

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
What I personally take away from the article, is the impression that anyone who has $6-7 grand to burn and wants to get just about everything mentioned in the article, and who goes looking for an article like this to tell them what they should get probably isn't interested in an SPL meter or anything beyond what comes right inside the AVR for their calibration needs. OR they would probably spend the extra $$ and get someone else to calibrate it for them.
I suppose that is true since exerting ones brain seems to be the lowest priority for the most people these days. There is always the "more money than time" argument, corresponding with paying someone else to do the calibration. ISF calibration for the TV adds $300-500 per input. Audio calibration adds another $250-500 minimum. IMHO, pro calibration is not cost effective until you get into the $10,000+ range.

That said, someone looking at the article as a starting point will be blissfully ignorant of the benefits of room treatments and/or the benefits of using some room response visualization tool to optimize speaker/sub placement and avoid room mode pitfalls. Even a passing reference will generate enough interest for those that care, but, no reference at all is kinda like sweeping the issue under the rug.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I suppose that is true since exerting ones brain seems to be the lowest priority for the most people these days. There is always the "more money than time" argument, corresponding with paying someone else to do the calibration. ISF calibration for the TV adds $300-500 per input. Audio calibration adds another $250-500 minimum. IMHO, pro calibration is not cost effective until you get into the $10,000+ range.

That said, someone looking at the article as a starting point will be blissfully ignorant of the benefits of room treatments and/or the benefits of using some room response visualization tool to optimize speaker/sub placement and avoid room mode pitfalls. Even a passing reference will generate enough interest for those that care, but, no reference at all is kinda like sweeping the issue under the rug.
Well I think that first part may be a bit unfair. Just because others may want great sound, but don't have the time or interest to take it as far as others, is no reason to say they have interest in exerting their brains. To each his or her own and wanting one thing without feeling the need to delve as deep as others is fine. I think you may just be looking at the situation through only a single lens and not really seeing it from the other side. However, that being said I don't necessarily disagree with your statement :D

As to the second part, I think that by mentioning room treatments in the actual article may be getting ahead of the issue in some regards, and as Gene has already said, a response to previous comments. Gene is trying to balance the input he gets and put together the best articles he can that he thinks will most helpful to the most people. He takes into account input he receives, but it's a balancing act for him.

From my personal point of view, I think that room treatments and calibration are part of the big picture, and all are important in their own regard. However, I still come at this article from point of view that it was not written for the audiophile, but more of the beginner to intermediate audio enthusiast. In which case things need to be chunked together to make everything easier to digest.

As you mention above, people sometimes tend to not want to exercise their brains and therefore throwing too many references to, too many things may overwhelm them (if those choose to research all of those things).

From what I've been reading around these parts (again only my personal impressions) people tend to group choosing speakers in one group, getting the electronics (AVR, amp etc) into the next, followed by calibration, room treatments, and so on for those starting out.

In any case, I think we agree more than we disagree (which may not be at all?) :)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Acoustic treatments are important but what's funny is the last time we incorporated them into a system, we got bashed b/c it ate up budget.

This article was intended to recommend a system for a normal family room where acoustic treatments are usually NOT an option. A throw rug, massive couches and curtains are the best solutions in such situations.
I'm shocked and outraged, Gene!:eek:

I think room treatment is the most important thing in any home theater system.:eek::D

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
Acoustic treatments are important but what's funny is the last time we incorporated them into a system, we got bashed b/c it ate up budget.
Maybe, you can include a "Recommended essentials" section and move things like calibration discs, power conditioners, room treatments, SPL meters, cables, measurement software, etc. into it. Heck, you can write a stand alone editorial and boiler plate it on all recommend system articles :D.

Coult_45

Coult_45

Junior Audioholic
Why the canare 4s11?

I have canare 4S11 because I use to have my speakers bi-amped. I have changed speakers and can't bi-amp my newer speakers but still like the cables. Even though I think it is a great speaker cable I am not sure why they are suggested over the Belden 5T00UP (Gray jacket, 10 AWG) which is cheaper.

I think I just don't understand what the AWG of the canare 4S11 is when not used for bi-amping. For some reason, I am not sure why, I thought it was similar to 11 AWG which wouldn't be as good as 10 AWG.

B

bitterwaste

Audiophyte
Blue Jean

Thanks Gene for the great article you wrote and you sold me on doing this, tonight I went ahead and got step one with the EMP E55ti speakers and I will build the rest of it as time goes, and I have a head start with a Marantz SR6006 and a Samsung 55” TV already but I want to know more about the Blue Jean speaker wire and what one you went with exactly? I need to order 2 of them that are 10 feet in length with banana plugs I guess. Any help here would be great!

Also a bit old school and still love to listen to CD’s, any CD player you can suggest for this setup would also help, maybe get an Oppo BDP-95 for both blu-ray’s and CDs or would it be better to get a stand alone? But this article helps the basic audio person out like me that doesn't need to go to crazy with there first 5.1 setup, maybe in the future I can look more at treatments and other Audio adds to help my system out.
Thanks!

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
Well, the Phil1 is only 41.5" high. I think placing the LCD 42" above the floor would not be too bad from 15ft away.:D
Sure, if you like to watch TV with a pair of binoculars.:D

I'm shocked and outraged, Gene!

I think room treatment is the most important thing in any home theater system.
Funny guy.:rolleyes::D

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I have canare 4S11 because I use to have my speakers bi-amped. I have changed speakers and can't bi-amp my newer speakers but still like the cables. Even though I think it is a great speaker cable I am not sure why they are suggested over the Belden 5T00UP (Gray jacket, 10 AWG) which is cheaper.

I think I just don't understand what the AWG of the canare 4S11 is when not used for bi-amping. For some reason, I am not sure why, I thought it was similar to 11 AWG which wouldn't be as good as 10 AWG.
14/4 has an effective gauge of 11AWG when using all 4 conductors to single wire a speaker. It is easier to terminate and more flexible than 10AWG. I use 10AWG all throughout my house and it's a pain in the A55 especially when trying to terminate it to a VC or in-wall speaker.

A

ack_bak

Audioholic
I'm shocked and outraged, Gene!:eek:

I think room treatment is the most important thing in any home theater system.:eek::D
Nah, just throw more expensive speakers and amplifiers at the problem, that will fix everything :eek::D:D

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
My recommendation:
Speakers: 5 Philharmonic-1 towers = $4,000
Phil1 = $1600/2 speakers = $800/1 speaker x 5 = $4,000
philharmonicaudio.com

Subwoofers: Rythmik FV12 = $500

AVR: Denon 3311 = $790
Amazon.com: Denon AVR-3311CI 7.2-Channel Network Home Theater Receiver (Black): Electronics

BD: Panasonic 220 = $129
Amazon.com: Panasonic DMP-BDT220 Integrated Wi-Fi 3D Blu-ray DVD Player: Electronics

TV: 60 inch LG plasma = $1,300
Amazon.com: LG 60PV450 60-Inch 1080p 600 Hz Plasma HDTV: Electronics

Total = $6700
I like it. If someone asked me, I would do;

3X Philharmonic 2 speaker - 3K
4X any decent surround < $400/pr
Subwoofer - DIY 2X Mach V UXL18 in 2.5 cu ft sealed + 2X Crown XLS 2500 + LT circuit - too lazy to add up cost
AVR - Marantz SR5006 - ~$ 600
Stereo Amp - Crown XLS1500 - ~$400
TV - 58" Samsung Plasma. - ~$1500
BDP - ps3 slim

Someone else can add up the cost for me.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Nah, just throw more expensive speakers and amplifiers at the problem, that will fix everything :eek::D:D
There is no problem. Only solutions. Damn, who said that?:eek:

If they sound great and absolutely crystal clear like the musicians are right there in your room and you can hear every ounce of detail and resolution, then the room is obviously not the problem.

Unless you are trying to fix a problem in the first place, why waste your money?

If your room is bad and it makes your speakers sound muddy and bloated or too bright or too dead or compressed, then by all means fix the room problem.

D

Dster

Audiophyte
There is no problem. Only solutions. Damn, who said that?:eek:

If they sound great and absolutely crystal clear like the musicians are right there in your room and you can hear every ounce of detail and resolution, then the room is obviously not the problem.

Unless you are trying to fix a problem in the first place, why waste your money?

If your room is bad and it makes your speakers sound muddy and bloated or too bright or too dead or compressed, then by all means fix the room problem.
I believe you are thinking of John Lennon's Watching the Wheels.

D

didymus21

Audiophyte
Yeah, the EMP speakers look like pretty high value speakers to me, I wouldn't mind having some. And I don't mean to sound too critical- as it is, the recommended system is better than what most just by virtue of having real speakers.
Agreed! I've looked into the EMP speakers myself.

J

jcl

Senior Audioholic

This article was intended to recommend a system for a normal family room where acoustic treatments are usually NOT an option. A throw rug, massive couches and curtains are the best solutions in such situations.

EDIT: I added the Universal Remote RF20 which we also did a review on. Seems like an easy to use, inexpensive and good option.
Thanks for listening; I think the universal remote makes for a better system.

As for the room treatments I agree and sympathize. There's no pleasing everyone, but I think that leaving them out better fits your intended audience. My home office is my domain and I can get away with a lot in there. The family room is a different story where I am limited due to WAF and one side open and another two taken up by windows and a fireplace.

I managed to put two energy subs in the corners to replace my old Boston Acoustics system, hidden behind the AV stand and an easy chair. The wife's noticed, commenting on the window's rattling during movies, but hasn't complained about them. Now I kick myself for not going long and getting svs pb-12s. ;-)

Last edited by a moderator:
S

somesnapper

Audioholic Intern
I like it. If someone asked me, I would do;

3X Philharmonic 2 speaker - 3K
4X any decent surround < $400/pr
Subwoofer - DIY 2X Mach V UXL18 in 2.5 cu ft sealed + 2X Crown XLS 2500 + LT circuit - too lazy to add up cost
AVR - Marantz SR5006 - ~$ 600
Stereo Amp - Crown XLS1500 - ~$400
TV - 58" Samsung Plasma. - ~$1500
BDP - ps3 slim

Someone else can add up the cost for me.
I had a similar plan as well until I learned that receivers enable dynamic range compression when using a phantom center as part of Dolby's Spec. I guess its a necessary evil or else vocals will be too low.

N

norml4721

Audioholic Intern
HT for $6500.00

Hi :

There are lots of ways to go . Let me give you an example.

Panasonic VT65 3D Plasma display (They took a little bit of technology from Pioneer when they stopped making the Elite Plasma. Great set for $2500.00

Oppo 93 Blu ray------Best you can get with all the latest technology(In that price range) $499.00

Rythmik Audio / Hsu / SVS sub Any one of these are quite good around. the $550.00 range. I like Rythmik Audio. $550.00

Pioneer Elite / Denon / or a Marantz Receiver.. I picked up an Elite vsx-52 for $650 on line. Get one with video processor in it. The Elite has the Marvell processor in it. (Also 7.1 ) $650.00

That leaves about $2300 for speakers. You may want to spend a little less on the Blu ray and a little more on speakers but that is up to you. So you have between #2300.00 and $2600 depending on Blu Ray.

Now spend some time looking for speakers do some auditioning and than choose. Start with a 5.1 you can always add 2 more for 7.1 in the future. I intentionaly did not recomend speakers as you should select what you like.

I have Pioneer Elite vsx-52 receiver, Oppo 93 Blu Ray, Nad cd player, 7.1 speaker sys. all Focal,2nd Sub Rythmik Audio additional 2 remote Focal speakers. And a Pioneer Elite Plasma display. And a few older pieces Old McIntosh tube stuff (seperates) that I use in a 2.0 in playroom.

You can find some realy nice (4 speakers) on Ebay for around $2500.00 2 towers, a center and 2 surrounds. ( about $5000.00 worth used.) i.e. Focal, Kef, Vienna Accoustics, Quad, etc. etc. the list goes on and on, Anyway thats what I would do if I had $6500.00 to spend on home theater.

That is my opinion I am shure there are many.

Good Luck

Norm L

S

speedrx

Audiophyte
going with the KEF T305's?

Enjoyed the article and information. I will be setting up HT in gameroom, not the best accoustics and also need something more built-in on on-wall. What do you think of the same system - Yamaha, Oppo, etc with the KEF T305 speaker system? Would I get similar HT results? What else should be added - another pair of on-wall's to bring it to 7.1? Second sub?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis