6.1 vs. 7.1 -- Reciever question

D

Dumb-rod

Enthusiast
I want to go with a 6.1 setup as opposed to a 7.1 because I have a small room.

Question is: Will a 7.1 reciever also decode in 6.1?

The reciever I plan on buying is a SONY STR-DA3000ES.

What kind of back center should I use? Same as a front center?

C

corentin

Audiophyte
actually, there ain t no "real" 7.1 material right now so in fact even 7.1 receivers decode 6.1 channels...I would recommend that you use a second center speaker for the 6th channel.If you already use 5 small bookshelf speakers for your system, then it would be wise to have the same speaker for the 6th channel

F

flyv65

Full Audioholic
Dumb-rod said:
I want to go with a 6.1 setup as opposed to a 7.1 because I have a small room.
You know, if you haven't got room to properly set up a 7.1 system, you probably haven't got room for a 6.1 set up either (unless you're squeezing a rear center behind a sofa, or something like that)...so if you're shopping for a surround back you might as well get a 7.1 AVR and a pair of speakers to pull back channel duty.

Bryan...got the same problem in my HT area you do...

D

Dumb-rod

Enthusiast
Thanks dudes.

My room has bout 23' length but only 11' width. I can fit a rear fine on the ceiling.

I got jbl studio series speakers for rears and center right now. I'll prob pick up another center for the rear. I like them a lot. Got some big swan 6.1 diva speakers for the front.

I think I'll go with that Sony ES reciever. I plan on getting 55-60" Sony grand wega too. I'm still in process of building and soundproofing room so it'll be a bit. I can't wait.

L

Leprkon

Audioholic General
Dumb-rod said:
Question is: Will a 7.1 reciever also decode in 6.1?

What kind of back center should I use? Same as a front center?
I had a Sony STR-DA995, which is also a "7" channel unit. Assuming they use the same basic operation on the higher ES line as the lower STR line, the manual has you connect only to the left rear surround to get 6.1. you can probably check the online manual to be sure. you might want to research the ES series, as a month or so ago, there were very few people saying good things about them :( (though most people liked the STR series :confused: ).

all your back surround speakers should be the same, for the same reason your fronts and center should be from the same line, to match the timbre. (fronts and cetner could be, say Infinity Betas, while the back set could be Polk Audio RTi series) just so long as each within a given set match up)

Nomo

Nomo

Audioholic Samurai
Also, the rear center does need to be a "center" style speaker. One identical to your R/L surrounds will do just fine.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis