6.1 Surround to Atmos?

• Thread starter Nelson Gonzales
  • Start date
N

Nelson Gonzales

Enthusiast
Hello, my system consists of Polk Audio center, Infinity towers and 3 Polk Audio in ceiling speakers for the rears. I know it's not ideal but it had to be done to please the Mrs. My question is, is it worth buying a new receiver for Atmos capabilities and will it sound right if I add the in ceiling speaker for Atmos when I already have my rears in the ceiling? My ceilings are 12ft by the way. Thanks for any advice.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
The short answer is no. The reason atmos works is the height differential between the regular channels and the height speakers. It’s not good news, but you can spend that money sub instead!

N

Nelson Gonzales

Enthusiast
Thank you, I kind of figured that. But I'm going to need a new receiver anyway because the geniuses at Denon outfitted my 4K receiver with HDMI that are not HDCP 2.2 so it's useless with my my 4k tv and player. Unbelievable really.

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
How would your wife feel about on wall satellites? Something like Polk owm3’s might work well.

N

Nelson Gonzales

Enthusiast
How would your wife feel about on wall satellites? Something like Polk owm3’s might work well.
Yea that's a no go. She doesn't like to see the speaker which is why I put the rear channels in the ceiling. But she loves surround sound. Go figure. She still will take looks over practicality.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thank you, I kind of figured that. But I'm going to need a new receiver anyway because the geniuses at Denon outfitted my 4K receiver with HDMI that are not HDCP 2.2 so it's useless with my my 4k tv and player. Unbelievable really.
So it couldn't have been your fault for buying an avr that didn't have the features you needed? Or are you saying it should have the feature you need because Denon advertised it and then deliberately left it out of the unit you purchased?

N

Nelson Gonzales

Enthusiast
So it couldn't have been your fault for buying an avr that didn't have the features you needed? Or are you saying it should have the feature you need because Denon advertised it and then deliberately left it out of the unit you purchased?
It's a 2014 model that is "4k" ready but it is not HDCP 2.2 which came out later that year. So now it isn't compatible. It's a Denon AVR S700W. Check it out and you'll see what I mean.

A

amayseng

Audioholic
Why not just run rear ear level speakers and use the ceiling speakers for atmos as they are already in position?
And add a sub or 2
2 preferably

N

Nelson Gonzales

Enthusiast
Why not just run rear ear level speakers and use the ceiling speakers for atmos as they are already in position?
And add a sub or 2
2 preferably
I'd love to but it's not possible the way my living room is designed. I'm just going to roll with what I have and maybe add some FH.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
It's a 2014 model that is "4k" ready but it is not HDCP 2.2 which came out later that year. So now it isn't compatible. It's a Denon AVR S700W. Check it out and you'll see what I mean.
Yes, that was issue beyond Denon, just the nature of how they rolled out 4k stuff. You weren't the only one who bought a "4k" avr to find out it had limitations.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis