500w feed vs 250w bi amp

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Hello guy,
I have a maths/power question. Which way is better? Case 1- feed 500w single feed to 1 speaker. Case 2- bi amp speaker with 250w i.e. 250w to HF and another 250w to LF of the speaker. Both cases using speaker internal crossover. Or, is case 1 and case 2 essentially the same? Thanks guys!
You will melt the voice coils , bi amping is useless for hifi . Only pro speakers and monitors effectively use it .
Why do you have such amps for ? Which avr

P

pinifinina

Junior Audioholic
Thanks @Kingnoob ! So speaker manufactures put 2 sets of speaker terminals is just for show? My AVR is Anthem MRX510, so not much power. I know I won't need 500W of power, but I heard it is good to feed twice the amount of power that the speaker can handle? You always want to feed speaker more power than you need so you don't needed up clip the amp and therefore damaging the speaker driver? Hence why I was choosing between 1 pair of mono amps (500W each) or 250W x 5 multi-channel amp. As for the 5 channel amp I have the choice to either biamp my main speaker and use the last channel to power the center channel, or simply use it to power my all 5 channels (5.1)

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
What speakers do you have?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Thanks @Kingnoob ! So speaker manufactures put 2 sets of speaker terminals is just for show? My AVR is Anthem MRX510, so not much power. I know I won't need 500W of power, but I heard it is good to feed twice the amount of power that the speaker can handle? You always want to feed speaker more power than you need so you don't needed up clip the amp and therefore damaging the speaker driver? Hence why I was choosing between 1 pair of mono amps (500W each) or 250W x 5 multi-channel amp. As for the 5 channel amp I have the choice to either biamp my main speaker and use the last channel to power the center channel, or simply use it to power my all 5 channels (5.1)
pretty much but if you got unused terminals on a 2ch or 7ch amp you could use bi amp see if it helps . Active bi amping works for pro audio but hifi speakers use passive crossover or something..

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis