5000$ 7.1.4 home theater

P

Popsas

Audiophyte
Hi everyone,

I am building a house and in it I have a 4.3x4m room, I want to know which brand I should go for watching movies, music and video games, in my area I found Martin Logan, Paradigm and Polk Audio. I am a bit confused on what is the best I know that ML is really good but I what to know from an experienced person who is not trying to sell me their stuff what to buy.

So for 5000$max (that includes the receiver) between these 3 brands which is the best one to go for and what set up and do I really need to spend that amount.

Thank you for your time.

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
There is no way to know what you like so you have to go and listen to a few to see which you like and if there are any you dont like. Which speaker is a little like «whats your favourite color»in many ways.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

P

Popsas

Audiophyte
I tried them all and I liked them all equally but what makes me worried is the price range ML is more expensive than Paradigm. To me they sound the same so that is why am trying to figure out which is better by asking for example is the ML motion 40 better or the Polk S60, am sorry for my lack of knowledge in these things I don’t want to buy something from these brands and regret it later.

Again thanks for replying

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I tried them all and I liked them all equally but what makes me worried is the price range ML is more expensive than Paradigm. To me they sound the same so that is why am trying to figure out which is better by asking for example is the ML motion 40 better or the Polk S60, am sorry for my lack of knowledge in these things I don’t want to buy something from these brands and regret it later.

Again thanks for replying
If they sound the same, then go with the cheaper option.

I'm not a fan of Polk, personally.

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
Strange they sound the same even if a store is often quite a bad place to listen. What will you use them for mainly, movies or music?
Also take a round again and listen and keep the volume low/moderate, sales ppl tend to turn up too much so it will sound impressive and it makes it difficult to hear details since your ears are blasted and you dont have time to acclimate. Usually its beneficial to hear a few times since your head and ears need a little time to get past the initial «mp3» listening mode and bring music you know well.
The MLs will need a bit more sturdiness in a reciever or amp, 4ohm so more difficult to drive.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
If you are asking which of those 3 brands seem to get the most respect from audiophiles, I would vote for Paradigm.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I really like the Paradigm Premier speakers. I also like the Paradigm Defiance X class subs. MartinLogan's Dynamo subs are nice too.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
My experience with Martin Logan Motion 60XT and 40 Towers was that they sounded good. I felt for the price, they did not sound better than some less expensive alternatives. (For me, Monitor Audio Silver Series outperformed them.)
Have not heard the Pardigms, but by their reputation, worth investigating!

Don Dunn

Don Dunn

Audiophyte
Staff member
Hi everyone,

I am building a house and in it I have a 4.3x4m room, I want to know which brand I should go for watching movies, music and video games, in my area I found Martin Logan, Paradigm and Polk Audio. I am a bit confused on what is the best I know that ML is really good but I what to know from an experienced person who is not trying to sell me their stuff what to buy.

So for 5000$max (that includes the receiver) between these 3 brands which is the best one to go for and what set up and do I really need to spend that amount.

Thank you for your time.
The Martin Logan Motion series are excellent speaker values, being made overseas allows for "More speaker for the money". If you can swing it, the Motion 60's are a lot more speaker from a shear performance standpoint.

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
Hi everyone,

Thank you for your time.
I'm not sure you're going to really get a "best one"...Paradigm makes great speakers on the upper end and very good entry level speakers, but the ML 40 strikes me a very good OEM speaker for a small space, especially if the bass is boosted by a sub.

I've had and know of good success installs with Polk in ceiling speakers...I'm struggling with a floor stander that I would buy though.

If they all sound somewhat similar, you should immediately eliminate the most expensive one.

Don Dunn

Don Dunn

Audiophyte
Staff member
I'm not sure you're going to really get a "best one"...Paradigm makes great speakers on the upper end and very good entry level speakers, but the ML 40 strikes me a very good OEM speaker for a small space, especially if the bass is boosted by a sub.

I've had and know of good success installs with Polk in ceiling speakers...I'm struggling with a floor stander that I would buy though.

If they all sound somewhat similar, you should immediately eliminate the most expensive one.
I'd agree with you there, the Motion 40 is a great speaker with a smaller footprint. As long as you have good amplification it plays loud and clean...definitely needs a sub for HT.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
pfff! I like this one better! ;)
This is going to sound strange, but I think the Klipsch 8000F you measured has a flatter on-axis than this Paradigm that you measured. This Paradigm looks like +/-3dB (maybe 2.5dB) and the Klipsch looks like +/-2dB.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
This is going to sound strange, but I think the Klipsch 8000F you measured has a flatter on-axis than this Paradigm that you measured. This Paradigm looks like +/-3dB (maybe 2.5dB) and the Klipsch looks like +/-2dB.
For a little while, I had them both, and I did an A/B comparison between them. They were pretty close sounding, but, even though it doesn't look it from the on-axis response alone, I would say that the Paradigm was a tad more neutral sounding. The Klipsch has slightly hotter treble sound. I would say the reason is the off-axis behavior, its wider and extremely flat with the Paradigms. The off-axis response is also very good with the Klipsch speakers, but not quite as uniform or as neutral. Both are great speakers, but you have to use more than on-axis response to compare them. If you did, yes, the Klipsch does look more neutral, but there is more to these speakers than just the on-axis response, it is not sufficient to completely characterize these or pretty much any other speaker.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
For a little while, I had them both, and I did an A/B comparison between them. They were pretty close sounding, but, even though it doesn't look it from the on-axis response alone, I would say that the Paradigm was a tad more neutral sounding. The Klipsch has slightly hotter treble sound. I would say the reason is the off-axis behavior, its wider and extremely flat with the Paradigms. The off-axis response is also very good with the Klipsch speakers, but not quite as uniform or as neutral. Both are great speakers, but you have to use more than on-axis response to compare them. If you did, yes, the Klipsch does look more neutral, but there is more to these speakers than just the on-axis response, it is not sufficient to completely characterize these or pretty much any other speaker.
I see what you mean. The Paradigm does have awesome off-axis FR.

But for almost HALF the price of the Paradigm, the Klipsch's still very good off-axis and excellent on-axis (better than Paradigm's on-axis) makes a strong argument.

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
I'd agree with you there, the Motion 40 is a great speaker with a smaller footprint. As long as you have good amplification it plays loud and clean...definitely needs a sub for HT.
I spent a good hour at this demo with 3 other people (2 people were there to here the 60s) and we all came away thinking the Motion 40 actually sounded better than the 60...cleaner, especially midrange. The guy that wanted the 60s initially actually bought a pair of the 40s that day off that demo...given it was my demo music we were listening to and he really liked the vocals on the demo and that made him switch to the 40s...I felt like I helped make that sale. :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis