$50 wall outlet  replacements

F

footman

Junior Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>Over the past two or three issues Stereophile magazine has been commenting on the praiseworthy effects of &nbsp;$50 wall outlet replacements. &nbsp;I'm tempted but with sound I do my best to be sensible. Is there any merit to this tweak.</font>

E

EdR

Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>Well let's see... about 50 miles of plain old copper wire between the generator and your house, many feet of whatever kind of wire run to the outlet........might as well buy a thousand buck power cord to go with it.

On the other hand, my cat urinated on my speaker cables, and MY GOODNESS, the improvement in the sound quality, the layers of dark open transparency that opened up, the sonic levels of detail fluttering with gossamer-like delicacy.  If a house cat can do that, then...... I found this site:

http://www.predatorpee.com/   (no.. really check it out).  

I would expect mountain lion or wolf to make Bose sound like Vandersteens!

Seriously though- if you can get one from a place that has an excellent return policy, and have the skills to install it yourself, such that the cost to you will only be a couple of bucks shipping, then by all means, check it out (and let us know!). &nbsp; On the other hand, Amazon has the Master Handbook of Acoustics for only $28, and that's worth it! &nbsp;Mine just arrived.</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Dan Banquer

Full Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>Home Depot has an excellent assortment for a lot less.
&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; d.b.</font>

RLA

RLA

Audioholic Chief
<font color='#000000'>Hi
The single most important thing to consider when
choosing a wall outlet is its ability to grab and hold the
power cords in its socket. Large Power Cords from Amps
and power line conditioners are heavy and a standard outlet
will not support the weight of the cord after time the cord will droop and make less contact a low level hum or buzz can be created from this &nbsp;I have experienced this first hand
a simple cheap solution is to replace the outlet with the
Industrial Type outlet available at Home Depot for about $4
These have better grabbing power and the power cords will
not become dislodged after time &nbsp;I really dont think anything else matters in regards to outlets there only going to be as good as the romex that is in your wall
Cheers</font>

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis