5.2.2 Speaker placement recommendations please?!

P

philly

Junior Audioholic
I have a fairly small listening space for my av room, about 9' by 12'. 5.2.2 configuration. I keep moving things around based on what I've seen in av forums. Is the "now" vs "before" configuration the best for my space? [Subs in the corners]
Thanks!
Equipment:
All Bowers and wilkins speakers:
floors 702 S3,
Center HTM71 S3
Subs DB4S x2
Bookshelf 706 S3 surrounds x2
B&W ceilings x2
Marantz av10 and amp10

Attachments

Last edited:
W

Wardog555

Full Audioholic
What's your viewing distance? Distance to center will do.

You want 30 degrees for the fronts and if you're sitting at a distance chances are the wider placement is more appropriate.

P

philly

Junior Audioholic
What's your viewing distance? Distance to center will do.

You want 30 degrees for the fronts and if you're sitting at a distance chances are the wider placement is more appropriate.
From my sweet spot, it's about 7.5ft to the center speaker, 8.5ft to the floors, and 9ft to the tv.
Thoughts?

W

Wardog555

Full Audioholic
So that looks to be 8.66 feet apart for the front speakers to hit the right angle of 30 degrees.
Or go as wide as you can if you don't reach that spacing.

P

philly

Junior Audioholic
So that looks to be 8.66 feet apart for the front speakers to hit the right angle of 30 degrees.
So the current configuration is ideal?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Where are the ceiling and surround speakers? Up front was best for both subs?

P

philly

Junior Audioholic
Where are the ceiling and surround speakers? Up front was best for both subs?
The ceilings are about 4.5ft from the seating and 6ft apart. You can see the placement of the surrounds here. However, I'll be moving the chairs a little when I get the 2nd one this week. And thanks for the update on the subs!

Attachments

L

Lapppt

Audiophyte
Just out of curiosity what is the center speaker placed on and where did you buy that from? I I have been looking for something like that. Thanks.

P

philly

Junior Audioholic
Just out of curiosity what is the center speaker placed on and where did you buy that from? I I have been looking for something like that. Thanks.
Hi. They're speaker stands from Iso Accoustics. [I think i read their review on this site]. That one is adjustable, as it's recommended the speaker should be off the surface and pointed level towards your ears. I also got the 4 carpet feet for my 2 subs. I'll get the exact models and take a few more pics if you'd like.

P

philly

Junior Audioholic
Forgot to say i got them on Crutchfield.com

L

Lapppt

Audiophyte
Hi. They're speaker stands from Iso Accoustics. [I think i read their review on this site]. That one is adjustable, as it's recommended the speaker should be off the surface and pointed level towards your ears. I also got the 4 carpet feet for my 2 subs. I'll get the exact models and take a few more pics if you'd like.
Thank you. Will appreciate veey much.

P

philly

Junior Audioholic
The center is on an "Aperta 300", and the subs on are "Gaia II". You actually enter your make and model speakers, and it recommends the best solution.

P

philly

Junior Audioholic
Btw I just measured and the fronts are about 7.5ft apart, if that helps

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
The answer is "it depends". You can't go on visuals alone. The newer setup makes sense as the best placement to start with subwoofers is in the corners or the 1/4 or 1/2 point along a wall. This is where it helps to have a measurement microphone and Room EQ Wizard (REW) software. You can't reliably rely on your memory as to what is better when it comes to sub placement but measurements will tell you if you have any room modes to contend with.

What works best for the towers depends on the speaker and personal preference. With the towers in the corners you will get more reflected sound. That can work well with a speaker that has a very linear response in the horizontal plane. If the response changes off axis, moving the towers in or changing the toe-in can address that. Without measurements I would concentrate on the bass and vocals. You want the bass to be smooth and even, not boomy or resonant at certain frequencies. If the towers and center are positioned well the intelligibility of dialogue should be at its best.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis