5.1 system using ceiling speakers from front and surround

G

gammaforty9

Audiophyte
Hi all, I have a 5.1 surround system with a Denon AVR 1700H AV receiver. I have an ear level center speaker under the TV which is wall mounted, and I'm using ceiling speakers for my front L and R and also L and R surround speakers. Sub is on the floor to the right of the TV. I now know that this isn't the best set up, I installed before researching and didn't want any wall speakers.

I'm finding the dialogue to be quite flat and sometimes a bit muffled. I've used audessey with the mic and also turned off dynamic volume and EQ, which has helped a bit. But then the issue is with action being too loud in comparison to dialogue. I've tried all the settings. Does anyone have any tips to improve this issue? Probably not much I can do. It isn't that bad and when watching a movie it is still a very immersive surround experience. Some TV shows are better than others.

Thanks.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
No room correction app can correct bad placement. What speakers are we talking about? Probably the only thing that might help would be to get ones that are amiable if the current ones are not, so you can at least angle them toward the listening position. Otherwise, keep them as Atmos and add proper fronts.

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
I'm with @j_garcia on this. I'd also look at a different Center Channel Speaker. You may also want to try tweaking the level of the existing Center Channel Speaker, and make sure it's pointed towards your main listening position.

When you are playing a source, click on the options Button and increase the volume a bit at a time to find what works for you. You can do this for each source.

I hope this is helpful.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Hi all, I have a 5.1 surround system with a Denon AVR 1700H AV receiver. I have an ear level center speaker under the TV which is wall mounted, and I'm using ceiling speakers for my front L and R and also L and R surround speakers. Sub is on the floor to the right of the TV. I now know that this isn't the best set up, I installed before researching and didn't want any wall speakers.

I'm finding the dialogue to be quite flat and sometimes a bit muffled. I've used audessey with the mic and also turned off dynamic volume and EQ, which has helped a bit. But then the issue is with action being too loud in comparison to dialogue. I've tried all the settings. Does anyone have any tips to improve this issue? Probably not much I can do. It isn't that bad and when watching a movie it is still a very immersive surround experience. Some TV shows are better than others.

Thanks.
Unless you radically change your game plan, that system is a lost cause. You have to get sound coming from the correct directions. NO exceptions.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
If it's just dialogue that is the issue, it would help to know the make and model of the center speaker to see if that is a potential issue. I would suggest the same as -Jim-; make sure the center channel speaker is aimed at your head, not your knees (if it's below the screen) and maybe try going into the setup menu and increase the center level by a couple of dB.

O

Oddball

Audioholic Intern
The speakers you have for your fronts and surrounds as I understand are in-ceiling. If so, they are positioned as Atmos speakers and don't think that even Trinnov 3-D mapping could fix that. So the best plan to get things right is to get properly placed front and surround speakers and you will have a starter 5.1.4 system.

If issues with the dialogue persist despite proper placement of the centre, you might need a new one that will do a better job. Using EQ to make the dialogue more eligible is also an option but you will also need to understand what are the parts that are problematic in the FQ response.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis