5.1 Home Theater for less than $2500

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
Here's a combo to consider:

Ascend Acoustics -- $1082 shipped with package discounts, if my math is correct.
  • Pair of CMT-340SE
  • CMT-340SE C center channel
  • Pair of pedestal stands (currently on sale)
Rear surrounds: Fluance XLBP -- $200 shipped

Sub: Reaction Audio Gamma 15 -- $850 shipped

Receiver: Denon X2100 -- $399 shipped

Total: $2531. Then add some OFC speaker wire and an LFE cable and you win!

Benefits:

• The Ascend CMT-340SE has a flat frequency response with very little variance. Additionally, Ascend claims the sensitivity is 92dB/w/m, which will be an advantage in a larger room. Furthermore, the MTM configuration (mid-tweet-mid) will reduce floor and ceiling bounce. If your room has few acoustic traps, this will end up sounding better than a single tweet + mid speaker config would.
  • The Fluance surrounds are a good value and look nice. I have their baby brother AVBP2s and have no complaints.
  • The subwoofer is a powerhouse, and it adds a variable delay. That variable delay feature won't matter much initially; but in the future if you ever add a second sub, having a delay on one can help you time align them at your primary listening position.
  • Receiver: as mentioned by others, Audyssey room correction for the win. Available iOS and Android app, DLNA streaming, and other fluff is nice; but for the base functionality of switching sources and putting power to your speakers, that unit should perform admirably.
That's not to say there's anything wrong with any of the other recommendations offered thusfar, though. I just think this'd be an impressive setup.

Last edited:
A

Ann

Enthusiast
I was just wondering whether you were in the U.S. Your command of the English language seemed to devolve quite a bit between your first post and last night's. It made me wonder whether maybe English was not your first language, and you were going to surprise us all by casually announcing that shipping on a PSA sub to Bolivia would be prohibitively expensive or something. Just thought I ought to check. :)
Well, you're correct. English is not my first language. I moved from another country but living in USA for 6 years. I still need to improve my English. I make a lot of typos while typing even though I know better than what I type.

A

Ann

Enthusiast
Klipsch aren't that bad, although they tend to be voiced a bit hot in the treble. The dispersion of Klipsch speakers is generally well controlled compared to other brands. As for the measurements of the RF-83s, those are two or three generations old by now, so I would not use that chart to say here is what modern Klipsch speakers sound like. The Klipsch are certainly very different than the Pioneer speakers which I find to be restrained in the highs.

My suggestion is to skip tower speakers and get bookshelf speakers fronts. The reason is, with a good sub, much of the reason to buy towers is negated. Towers are usually full range speakers, so a lot of what you pay for with them is the ability to playback bass that is well into the subwoofer's range. The problem is, you won't be using much of that ability because the subwoofer will be cutting off and taking over that range. Bookshelf speakers are a much more sensible expenditure on a modest budget.

For bookshelf speakers, I would be looking at Ascend CBM170s, HTD Level Threes, Hsu HB-1 mk2s, or JBL Studio 530s. The 530s would probably be my first choice from that bunch but they are the priciest. I think they would be overkill for the surround speakers, so for surrounds in that system I would go for the Studio 230s. For the sub, I would go for either the Hsu VTF3 mk5 or Reaction Gamma 15. Either of those will majorly outperform the SVS sub while only costing a bit more. If you wanted to keep it a bit simpler, you could also just get an Hsu speaker/sub package and get a small discount too. For a receiver, as was suggested above, I would skip the Sony and go for a Denon instead. I also like Pioneer, Marantz, and Yamaha too.
Based on what you said and what others said in this forum. I totally changed my mind and came up with this option here.
GAMMA 15 - $850
JBL Studio 530 for front - $600
JBL Studio 520CBK - $300
JBL Studio 230 for the surround - $400 or Fluance XLBP $200 Which one these is better?
Is this 5.1 very good?

The receiver I want to choose one of them.
MARANTZ SR5008 $420
or
Denon AVR-X2100W $400
or
Denon AVRS700W-R Recertified $320 with 3 year protection
Which one of these is better? Does these Denon support 4K upscaling? Not clear in Amazon. Why these Denon receivers are discontinued by the manufacture? I see so many discontinued Denon models in Amazon.Why?

One more question, if at all I want tower speaker (I do have kids), what's suggestions you have instead of the following for less than $1500?
JBL Studio 520CBK - $300
JBL Studio 230 for the surround - $400 or or Fluance XLBP $200

Last edited:
ATLAudio

ATLAudio

Senior Audioholic
Based on what you said and what others said in this forum. I totally changed my mind and came up with this option here.
GAMMA 15 - $850
JBL Studio 520CBK - $300
JBL Studio 230 for the surround - $400 or Fluance XLBP $200 Which one these is better?
Is this 5.1 very good?

MARANTZ SR5008 $420
or
Denon AVR-X2100W $400
or
Which one of these is better? Does these Denon support 4K upscaling? Not clear in Amazon. Why these Denon receivers are discontinued by the manufacture? I see so many discontinued Denon models in Amazon.Why?

One more question, if at all I want tower speaker (I do have kids), what's suggestions you have instead of the following for less than $1500?
JBL Studio 520CBK - $300

I like this set up, but I’d stick with JBL all around if that’s what you do.

As for the Marantz 5008 vs the Denon 2100, flip a coin- but I’m still leaning Denon. They’ll do 4K upscailing. If you look, there are discontinued models on Amazon from other leading brands too. Eventually a new model comes out and backstock has to be sold at a discount. Nothing to worry about. I’d shy away from the 700W, ICBW but I think it’s more of a ‘consumer line’ from Denon.

You could go with JBL Towers, if you’re worried about the kids toppling over bookshelf stands. The JBL ES80BK on Amazon is priced to move! $400 for a pair is hard to beat. Match them together with the JBL ES25CBK for center, and the JBL ES10BK for surround, and that’s 700$ for a complete 5.0 set up.

Also I just realized that you have 4000 cubic feet to fill, and a sealed sub (RA Gamma 15) might not be the best way to go.

Look at these vented (ported) designs

Reaction Audio Echo 15 $950

Power Sound Audio XV15se $900

HSU VTF 3 Mk 5 $900 (shipped)

You’ll get opinions as to which is best but there’s very little difference IMHO. You can call each of these manufacturers and speak to them about your room, and get a better picture.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
GAMMA 15 - $850
JBL Studio 520CBK - $300
Is this 5.1 very good?

MARANTZ SR5008 $420
or
Denon AVR-X2100W $400
or

JBL Studio 520CBK - $300
The JBL/Reaction system you outlined looks really good. Between the Marantz and Denon x2100, you can't go wrong with either, they are more alike than not. They are both from the same company, D+M Holdings, they both support full 4k resolutions, they both have very good room equalization. You might as well flip a coin between them. If it were me I would go with the Marantz and only because it looks a bit nicer.

With respect to the subwoofer, the Gamma 15 is a very good one, but I would go with a ported model instead of the sealed model. I originally linked to the Reaction Echo 15 but labeled that link the Gamma 15, my mistake. Sealed subs like the Gamma 15 sacrifice deep bass for a smaller cabinet size, but if you can handle the larger cabinets of ported subwoofers, you will be rewarded with a lot more deep bass output. The subs I would go for are the Echo 15 or the Hsu VTF3 mk5.

If you wanted towers instead of bookshelf speakers, I would be looking at the EMP Tek R55Ti tower speakers, with their corresponding center speaker, and use the R5Bi bookshelf speakers for surrounds. Those towers are very affordable, with good sound quality and they look nice as well. They are highly regarded by audio buffs as an inexpensive tower speaker.

For the bookshelf speaker surrounds, I would use the Videosecu side-clamping bookshelf speaker mount, which are by far the best bookshelf speaker mounts for the price. Get your HDMI cable, speaker cable, and subwoofer cable from a company like blue jeans or monoprice; do NOT buy cables at a store like BestBuy, because the markup on those items at electronics stores is usually really bad.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
What is the difference between OFC speaker wire and an LFE cable? I thought some cables will come with the receiver by default and I can use them. Currently, I have come cheap $350 5.1 speakers with receiver and wires all came together in one box. So, I have no idea what's OFC speaker wire and LFE cable.
Subwoofer (lfe) cable
http://www.amazon.com/Mediabridge-ULTRA-Subwoofer-Cable-Feet/dp/B003FVYXY0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1428726825&sr=8-1&keywords=Subwoofer+cable

Speaker cable
http://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-102747-50-Feet-Enhanced-Oxygen-Free/dp/B001UNGJF6/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1428726893&sr=8-3&keywords=SPEAKER+cable

I would throw that cheap thin wire away, that came with your stuff.

A

Ann

Enthusiast
The JBL/Reaction system you outlined looks really good. Between the Marantz and Denon x2100, you can't go wrong with either, they are more alike than not. They are both from the same company, D+M Holdings, they both support full 4k resolutions, they both have very good room equalization. You might as well flip a coin between them. If it were me I would go with the Marantz and only because it looks a bit nicer.

With respect to the subwoofer, the Gamma 15 is a very good one, but I would go with a ported model instead of the sealed model. I originally linked to the Reaction Echo 15 but labeled that link the Gamma 15, my mistake. Sealed subs like the Gamma 15 sacrifice deep bass for a smaller cabinet size, but if you can handle the larger cabinets of ported subwoofers, you will be rewarded with a lot more deep bass output. The subs I would go for are the Echo 15 or the Hsu VTF3 mk5.

If you wanted towers instead of bookshelf speakers, I would be looking at the EMP Tek R55Ti tower speakers, with their corresponding center speaker, and use the R5Bi bookshelf speakers for surrounds. Those towers are very affordable, with good sound quality and they look nice as well. They are highly regarded by audio buffs as an inexpensive tower speaker.

For the bookshelf speaker surrounds, I would use the Videosecu side-clamping bookshelf speaker mount, which are by far the best bookshelf speaker mounts for the price. Get your HDMI cable, speaker cable, and subwoofer cable from a company like blue jeans or monoprice; do NOT buy cables at a store like BestBuy, because the markup on those items at electronics stores is usually really bad.
One more question to you and others on this thread. Please help. How do you compare these two options here. Which is better and why? Option 2 costs $500 more, is it worth compared option 1?

Option 1: $2100
Hybrid 3 HP - 5.1 Package + Denon AVR-X2100W

Option 2: $2600
JBL Studio 530 pair - $600
JBL Studio 520CBK - $300
JBL Studio 230 pair- $400
HSU VTF3 MK5 - sub - $900
Receiver - Denon AVR-X2100W $400

Option 3: $2850
R55Ti Tower Speaker - pair - $700
R56Ci Center - $400
R55Wi Surround - - $450
HSU VTF3 MK5 - sub - $900
Receiver - Denon AVR-X2100W $400

Last edited:
S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I haven't heard the JBL and Hsu speakers in a way to fairly compare them, and I haven't heard the EMP Tek speakers at all, but they do measure well. I think the JBL speakers have a bit crisper treble than the Hsu speakers. The Hsu speakers are a bit laid back. I do like them because they aren't fatiguing to listen to and present a big soundstage when properly setup, but I wouldn't be surprised if the JBLs offer a more detailed sound. I would take the JBLs over the Hsus, but I don't know that they are $500 better, that is a matter of personal opinion, of course. However, the VTF3 sub is absolutely killer for the price. I think whatever you end up with from those choices, you win, because they are all great values for the money.

One more thing, in option 3 it might make more sense to go with the R5Bi bookshelf speakers depending on the room layout and distance from the speakers. That could save you some money and give you an overall better sound.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I would throw that cheap thin wire away, that came with your stuff.
+1 this, don't use the speaker cable that came with your previous system, its probably 18 AWG cable or worse. Buy a roll of 14 AWG stranded speaker cable from Blue Jeans, Monoprice, or even Home Depot. But, like I said before, do NOT buy speaker cable from an electronics store, such as Monster Cable or the Radio Shack or BestBuy house brands, they are badly over-priced.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
but I wouldn't be surprised if the JBLs offer a more detailed sound. I would take the JBLs over the Hsus, but I don't know that they are $500 better, that is a matter of personal opinion, of course.
That would be about a $300 difference per pair, between JBL and HSU

I

Irishman

Audioholic
Oh, boy, we love spending other people's money! Thank you for letting us know your room's volume without our having to ask. You've obviously been working on this for a while. $2000 is a healthy budget for 5.1 + receiver + cables.

For the receiver, the Denon X2100 would be a good bargain. If you don't mind refurb with a 1 year warranty, the Marantz SR5008 would also be worth considering, and would add pre-amp outs in case you'd like to add external amplification later. My SR6008 came from there, and I'm very pleased with it.

For the sub, add the Rythmik LV12R, the Hsu VTF-2 MK4, and the Outlaw Ultra-X12 to your list for consideration to save a little money. IMHO, the price :: performance ratio of SVS has declined since they started retailing in Best Buy. For that kind of money, I'd sooner go for the Reaction Audio Gamma 15 or the PSA XV15SE. On the other hand, I also remember paying 79¢ / gal. for gas as a teenager, and am therefore prone to resist inflation. I also randomly yell things like, "Get off my lawn!" So my view of SVS' new inflated prices might not be shared by others. *shrug*

Are you committed to towers up front, or would you consider bookshelf speakers?
I agree with nearly everything you wrote here (especially the Marantz AVRs), with the exception of this little bit of FUD: "the price :: performance ratio of SVS has declined since they started retailing in Best Buy."

What evidence of this do you have?

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
I was wondering the same thing. All these SVS bashings.

I

Irishman

Audioholic
Agree with ROJO
Reaction Audio Gamma 15 I have a SVS PB1000 and it rocks my small place right, but your space is big and the Gamma 15 will fit in your place like a glove.
Denon X2100
Pioneer Speakers modded to a better sound: http://philharmonicaudio.com/aa.html
Cables/Wires: www.monoprice.com
alt receiver: http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/yamrxa740bl/yamaha-rx-a740-7.2-aventage-av-receiver-w/wi-fi-airplay/1.html
Over at AVS Forum, even Andrew Jones recently chimed in (following his departure from Pioneer, of course) and agreed that the Dennis Murphy-modded tweeter give an improvement in sound that he could have gone with himself, had Pioneer not bound him to the target budget they chose.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Over at AVS Forum, even Andrew Jones recently chimed in (following his departure from Pioneer, of course) and agreed that the Dennis Murphy-modded tweeter give an improvement in sound that he could have gone with himself, had Pioneer not bound him to the target budget they chose.
That's awesome didn't know that. Dennis take a bow! My 52's mods are awesome. One day Phils for me. Need to win the friggin lottery.

I

Irishman

Audioholic
I definitely want real great bass. So, I definitely want a $800 range great sub. I don't know that fact that towers aren't needed if i'm going to buy a good $800 range sub. If it's true tower aren't really good while using it with a good sub, then I okay to get a bookshelf speaker instead of tower.

Why no one in this thread is suggesting to buy SVS or Pioneer? Why they are not good? Gamma 15, I don't see any video reviews anywhere. I don't see in cnet.com. I'm not sure if gamma 15 is better than SVS PB 2000. Why gamma 15 is better than SVS PB 2000?

I heard didn't great opinion about Klipsch in many forums. So, maybe I don't want Klipsch.

What's wrong with Sony STR-DN1050? cnet.com rates it as best receiver for 2015. Why everyone is suggesting to buy Denon? cnet.com says Sony was not good in the past but now it's great.

So, I removed towers in my option two and added another option(3). What do you guys think?

Option 1

Pioneer SP-FS52 tower speaker - pair $260
Pioneer SP-BS22-LR Bookshelf - pair $130
Pioneer SP-C22 - $100
SVS PB-2000 sub -$800
Sony STR-DN1050 Receiver $500
Total: $1800

Option 2
PRIME BOOKSHELF SURROUND SYSTEM $1050
SVS PB-2000 sub -$800
Total: $2350

Option 3

PRIME ULTRA BOOKSHELF SURROUND SYSTEM $2700
SVS PB-2000 sub -$800
Total: $4000
This options looks great, but I can’t afford $4000. But I would like to hear from you what do you think about this.

option 4
Pioneer Elite SP-EBS73 (2+2) : $1500
Pioneer Elite SP-EC73 $400
SVS PB-2000 sub -$800
Total: $3200
I recommend the Pioneer Andrew Jones-designed speaker! I should I am using them in my theater now! :)

I also recommend SVS as a phenomenal subwoofer manufacturer. I think the concern that some of us have is with the size of your room. My theater is 1904 cubic ft. By way of contrast, your space is definitely on the large room size as home spaces go. If you're looking for that kick in your chest feel from your system, a single $800 sub may not be able to give it to, regardless of manufacturer.

A

Ann

Enthusiast
One more thing, in option 3 it might make more sense to go with the R5Bi bookshelf speakers depending on the room layout and distance from the speakers. That could save you some money and give you an overall better sound.
Okay, Let me share my room layout. Let me know what you guys think. On the left side the orange rectangles are the sectional sofa.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis