5.1, 6.1,7.1????????

W

waterwalker4

Audiophyte
I'm confused, why would you wnat a system to be 7.1 or 6.1 if all that available is 5.1 in cd's and video cd's?

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
Receivers include matrix decoders like PLIIx and DTS:Neo6 that extract rear channels from 5.1 discs. They also include DSP programs like All Channel Stereo to play back 2 channel sources over 5, 6, or 7 channels.

In theory, the extra rear surround speakers for 7.1 create a more enveloping sound field. But if you don't have a lot of room behind you to mount the additional speakers their effect will be diminished.

Personally I think 5.1 is enough for most living rooms.

MACCA350

MACCA350

Audioholic Chief
I'm confused, why would you wnat a system to be 7.1 or 6.1 if all that available is 5.1 in cd's and video cd's?
Because 6.1 discreet is available on DVD's and 7.1 is an extension of 6.1(the two back channels receive the same info) also BD and HD-DVD are introducing discreet 7.1. And to add to what MDS said, 7.1 is more useful in larger rooms or/and where the listener is not against the back wall.

cheers:)

mpompey

mpompey

Senior Audioholic
If you got a good setup and good equipment 5.1 or 5.2 will be good enough. I think 7.1 would be better if the 2 rear surrounds where discreet and not matrixed togehter.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis