4x RSL Speedwoofers???

A

audiophool7878

Junior Audioholic
So I've been very close to pulling the trigger on a big boy sub like a Rythmik FV15hp after spending most of the week searching out black Friday deals. At the tail end of my search now and I'm wondering about the prospect of getting 4x RSL speedwoofer 10s. To be clear, I had ideally wanted something bigger that could go lower (but also sound accurate for musical playback) so I basically decided on the rythmik. But that would still leave me with just one sub. I have heard a lot of good things about the speedwoofers and I could just barely afford 4 of them so it's got me thinking a bit. I would love to hear from anyone who has experienc with the rsl woofers and anyone who simply wants to weigh in on the merits of having 4 smaller (but good quality) woofers as opposed to just 1 big boy.

Thanks in advance.

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai
I’d look at the lower-end limits of frequency response. I didn’t look up any specs, but if the Rythmik can get down to 18, you have a deep-digging sub. However, if the RSL only gets down to 25 Hz, then adding more of them isn’t going to get you any lower than that. You’ll just get more volume at 25 Hz and up.

Like I said, I didn’t research much here – do your own. But the bottom line is that adding more of the same sub is basically going to get you more of whatever it does.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

A

audiophool7878

Junior Audioholic
the bottom line is that adding more of the same sub is basically going to get you more of whatever it does.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt
I thought I had read that there was a sort of cumulative gain in not only spl but also in a subwoofers ability to achieve a lower frequency when more and more were added to the mix. But perhaps that is only if you add like 10 or something? Not sure but I do like the idea of having a sub in every corner and the potential balance that might come with doing so. But there is no doubt the rythmik is a beast.

Rythmik fv15hp:
Frequency Response12 - 200 Hz (-2 dB @ 17 Hz, -6db@12hz) with LFE input
RSL Speedwoofer10:
Frequency Response: 24-200 Hz ± 3db, substantial output down to 20Hz (CEA-2010)

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai
The potential for lower extension from multiple subs merely comes from having the headroom to use EQ. My experience is that a sub that has extension forced via EQ never sounds as good as a sub that just “gets it” naturally.

Now, if the goal is more even distribution of bass throughout the room, then multiple subs benefit there. Or so they say.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

N

nm2285

Senior Audioholic
Sounds like 2 HSU or similar may be a great compromise?

Or dual FXV12 if wanting to stay with Rythmik.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Four subs can get you better quality bass, if you can place them and dial them correctly. I had a four subs system awhile back that nearly yielded a flat response on its own with no EQing. You do need a way to measure the bass if you go that route, so you will need a measurement mic. A worthy alternative to the RSL Speedwoofer is the Monolith 10" THX Select, that will have a bit more extension. You could get nearly three of those for the price of one FV15HP. That would be a very good system as well.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Not to complicate things, but Wayne is spot on. You will not increase extension by adding subs. Ain’t gonna happen.
Now, the complication: most of the Subs you see us recommend here are high quality Subs. This nonsense that only Rythmik is good for music, but not SVS or Hsu or Outlaw... well, it’s just nonsense.
I would recommend 2 subs now, that dig deep enough for your taste. Do not sacrifice extension for more quantity of a lesser sub. You can save up and add a third next year! :D
Hsu is absolutely the value leader in the Subwoofer market. I have never heard a complaint about their Subs. And the VTF3 is a great option.
The Outlaw and Monolith Subs are also highly recommended. I am uncertain about sales on them right now, but Outlaw will usually run a Christmas/New Years sale and has the X13 for $1000 ea, shipped. Monolith was running a BF sale and might still have them going: I would look at the 12” or 15” options if you can.

Regardless: Shop for the best Sub that you want. Buy two now if you can. Save for a second or third later.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Might be worth noting that on a singular basis, the 10s only measures 92db at 20hz and 98 at 25hz.
The fv15hp does 20hz at 108db and 25hz at 113db. Not to mention it’s tuned to 12hz and does THAT at the same level the 10s does 20hz, and it does 16hz at the same level the 10s does 25hz. This behavior continues throughout the passband.
Iirc the 10s doesn’t do anything at 16 hz. I’m well aware it’s not built to, but imo since the OP cares about one seat, I’m gonna recommend as usual like @ryanosaur buy the best sub you can(seems like the fv15hp) and start saving for a second whenever you can.
Not sure my math can be 100% accurate without the room, or if I’ve missed something. But adding 3db for every speedwoofer at 20hz gets 92db plus 9db. That’s STILL 7db less than a single Rythmik.
This could be off here and there. But, numbers were taken from data-bass and shadys review of the speedwoofer.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Biggest advantage of four vs one is room smoothing. As said, won't improve extension beyond what your room gain (or eq) might provide. Might be very satisfying, though, depends how much low frequency content means to you :)

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Get 8 of these vs. 4 Speedwoofers

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Biggest advantage of four vs one is room smoothing. As said, won't improve extension beyond what your room gain (or eq) might provide. Might be very satisfying, though, depends how much low frequency content means to you :)
Well that’s the thing. Room smoothing means more if you care about other seat. I think if you have room to experiment, a well integrated single can be awesome. Then, in 6mo or a year, add the second. Ime, that stuff below 20-22hz is gold. No amount of speedwoofers will satisfy that.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Well that’s the thing. Room smoothing means more if you care about other seat. I think if you have room to experiment, a well integrated single can be awesome. Then, in 6mo or a year, add the second. Ime, that stuff below 20-22hz is gold. No amount of speedwoofers will satisfy that.
As long as you end up with multiples is the way I look at it. If you're stuck with just one, make it as badass as possible!

ps I do care about uniformity through the room, still better than just a single IMO.

A

audiophool7878

Junior Audioholic
Sounds like 2 HSU or similar may be a great compromise?

Or dual FXV12 if wanting to stay with Rythmik.
Those would be nice but are $400-$500 more than the 4 RSL. I was only considering the 4 RSL because they were within my budget of $1500 that I was willing to stretch to $1600. But I think the comments are correct. They will likely not extend deep enough to make me happy

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Those would be nice but are $400-$500 more than the 4 RSL. I was only considering the 4 RSL because they were within my budget of $1500 that I was willing to stretch to $1600. But I think the comments are correct. They will likely not extend deep enough to make me happy
Chasing ULF can get very expensive, tho. Plus not a lot of content. You gotta want it!

A

audiophool7878

Junior Audioholic
Not to complicate things, but Wayne is spot on. You will not increase extension by adding subs. Ain’t gonna happen.
Now, the complication: most of the Subs you see us recommend here are high quality Subs. This nonsense that only Rythmik is good for music, but not SVS or Hsu or Outlaw... well, it’s just nonsense.
I would recommend 2 subs now, that dig deep enough for your taste. Do not sacrifice extension for more quantity of a lesser sub. You can save up and add a third next year! :D
Hsu is absolutely the value leader in the Subwoofer market. I have never heard a complaint about their Subs. And the VTF3 is a great option.
The Outlaw and Monolith Subs are also highly recommended. I am uncertain about sales on them right now, but Outlaw will usually run a Christmas/New Years sale and has the X13 for $1000 ea, shipped. Monolith was running a BF sale and might still have them going: I would look at the 12” or 15” options if you can.

Regardless: Shop for the best Sub that you want. Buy two now if you can. Save for a second or third later.
I think the only decent sized sub that I can afford at the moment are the pb2000 that may still be on amazon for $599 each but I just returned two of those. I dunno. Perhaps just get one big sub now and save for a second?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
It was definitely a good question. The speedwoofer is a great budget friendly subwoofer deserving of all its praise. But make no mistake. The fv15hp is a velvet sledge hammer.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I think the only decent sized sub that I can afford at the moment are the pb2000 that may still be on amazon for $599 each but I just returned two of those. I dunno. Perhaps just get one big sub now and save for a second?
That’s what I would do for the reasons above. For now...

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
If affordability is an issue perhaps DIY could be a solution....depending on your skillset/tolerance of your own finishing skills and waf and all that.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
The pb2k is definitely a great sub. It’s just not an fv15hp.
I think HSU deserves serious consideration too.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis