4th of July stuper!

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
Been running 4ohm speakers for many years. During heavy use concert dvds, I can sometime shut down the right channel of my external amp. It's never been a major issue. til now.

The ENTIRE system shut down. Completely! I got a little flustered in a beer induced stuper, and just cranked full force after the right front kept going into protection.

I am running a Cyberpower PR2200LCDRT2U UPS power supply. It's toast. Removed it from the equation.

Pulled-out my old Adcom power supply. Good to go.

Fired system back-up, and right channel out on Adcom 7605 amp. Opened it up, and one little fuse was blown. Replaced it. Nothing.

Checked right front speaker. Toast. Replaced it. I had a back-up.

Fired system back up, and blew right front channel fuse AGAIN! Replaced it, and removed the external amp from the equation.

Wired speakers directly to my Yamaha RX-Z7. New right front speaker. Sounding great, then entire system shut down. Adcom power supply still on. Breaker on outlet never tripped anytime during.

Ran new speaker wire to the new right front speaker. Cut system back on. Sounding great, then shuts down. AVR all the way off. Checked every single speaker wire, and against my better judgement, set to 6ohm. Didn't make a difference. Sounding great, then shut down.

Lost.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I am currently flying on SW Airline using their $8 WiFi access. :D

I don’t know what’s up with your system, but it makes me hate amps with fuses!

I am glad my ATI amps are arc welder amps that have power circuit breakers for speaker protection, instead of those fuses.

The Crown XLS Amps also have breakers, not fuses.

So are you thinking of getting new amps or AVR or pre-pro?

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
Looks that way. Kinda wish it was the amp at this point. You think the amp blowing the fuse caused the issue with the RX-Z having the shut down issue now?? That is other than my dumb butt cranking it like I did.

I have an offer out on a pre right now. Have to use a paypal installment option though.

Last edited:
Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
Generous counteroffer was given on a Marantz AV8801. After much consideration over the HDCP 2.2 compliance not existing on this unit, I concluded that I will just have to be certain a future 4K player will have the dual HDMI output.

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
Well, it was expensive.

New Marantz AV8801
New Class H 5-channel steal of a deal. TBA
Mogami Gold 2534 xlr cable x5.
New MB Quart QL-S830 x1.

The amp is a risk that is really too good to be true. If it is a piece, hopefully it can limp us along til we catch up from this unexpected expense.

At least I was at home, and not out somewhere acting a fool in public when I decided to go off on something (my system.) What an idiot.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Well, it was expensive.

New Marantz AV8801
New Class H 5-channel steal of a deal. TBA
Mogami Gold 2534 xlr cable x5.
New MB Quart QL-S830 x1.

The amp is a risk that is really too good to be true. If it is a piece, hopefully it can limp us along til we catch up from this unexpected expense.

At least I was at home, and not out somewhere acting a fool in public when I decided to go off on something (my system.) What an idiot.
Congrats. Hope you love the new AVP/ Amp system.

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
It is REALLY looking like this amp is legit, and a fantastic find. Can't wait to share the web research!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'm guessing maybe some Sunfire multich amp used? Maybe?

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
Two stuck mids on the left.

Two rattling mids on the right.

Thank goodness I purchased a back-up set of speakers years ago. Think I will throw some Morel mids back in these.

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
Well, I'am a cheap b**88s**t88r8d.

I purchased a cheap amp.

And now, instead of Scan-Speak P17s, I am taking another HUGE risk.

My mid replacements:
https://www.parts-express.com/dynavox-lw6004pmr-6-1-2-woofer--295-605

They look KILLER!

It was very hard to find a 6-hole, 8-ohm, 17cm/170mm(175 w/trim-ring) mid-woofer. I know that Scan would be the best option, but I am a sucker for taking a risk.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I purchased a cheap amp.
Hey bud. Long time. I've been peddling my Aragon 2007 forever. Originally I asked $750. If that's of interest to you, call me.

Best of luck with that drinking problem. :D I kid !!! :)

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
Aw man, I got a Black Series A5500 new from manufacturer for $385 to my door.

The old Adcom 7605 lost the battle with the right front.

Shorted coils on my mid-woofers caused the issue. Well, I caused the issue. LOL!

Last edited:
Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
Mids have a more laid-back, deeper sound. Vocals are not as bright. Bass drum kick deeper punch, but not as much attack. Less snappy is what I would say.

If the two speakers were side by side in a strore, I would have a very hard time deciding which one I would want to live with. Gonna run the Dynavox for a while. Happy boy, and feel the drivers were an extreme bargain.

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
This amp has not shut down ANY channel one time. Not at all!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis