Pwaynez

Pwaynez

Enthusiast
Alright, I have read on this multiple places - seems the general census is that a solid mid-high end 1080p projector is better than a budget 4K projector due to its higher contrast ratios. However, in my brief research I have found projectors such as the Optoma UHD50 which has a contrast ratio of 500,000:1 and I know the UHD60 by Optoma I believe is 1million:1. There must be other high contrast ratio 4K projectors as well. On the other hand, my 1080p research has led me to higher rated projectors that have 10,000:1 to 50,000:1. So where am I missing something? In the market for my first PJ is very overwhelming as there is new terminology I am coming across daily I need to read on. Hope some PJ vets can give more input here. Thanks everyone for the help and happy Father's Day to you fellow Dad's out there!

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Alright, I have read on this multiple places - seems the general census is that a solid mid-high end 1080p projector is better than a budget 4K projector due to its higher contrast ratios. However, in my brief research I have found projectors such as the Optoma UHD50 which has a contrast ratio of 500,000:1 and I know the UHD60 by Optoma I believe is 1million:1. There must be other high contrast ratio 4K projectors as well. On the other hand, my 1080p research has led me to higher rated projectors that have 10,000:1 to 50,000:1. So where am I missing something? In the market for my first PJ is very overwhelming as there is new terminology I am coming across daily I need to read on. Hope some PJ vets can give more input here. Thanks everyone for the help and happy Father's Day to you fellow Dad's out there!
I'm not as experienced as some in this forum I just got into projectors 2 years ago but I do believe that the numbers on some projectors in real time viewing aren't always that good in the real world. Not when your playing actual content. Also it depends on setup light control a whole bunch of other factors as well you have to do a lot to treat the room to get any projector to perform its best

I'm sure there's more to it then that but the more experienced members will have to chime in.

I will tell you that I owned a 1080p Optoma HD26 in my old place in the new one until the theater is setup I put one in my bedroom. An older but very good epson model I don't have the model # right now the optoma looked very good the epson? Looks outstanding So I can see how it's possible some higher end 1080p projectors can outperform some lower end budget 4k.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Measured contrast is much more important that advertised contrast.

Look at https://www.projectorreviews.com/ and https://www.projectorcentral.com/ to see reviews and real contrast numbers for specific projectors.

I will say this, the bigger the screen the more important resolution is, but only if you sit close enough to see it.

The most important thing is contrast, color accuracy, and light output. The bigger the screen, the more light output your projector needs in order to achieve a good picture.

@BMXTRIX is much more knowledgeable than I so hopefully he'll chime in here.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Big difference between NATIVE contrast vs DYNAMIC contrast.

So you have to compare NATIVE contrast to NATIVE contrast.

Numbers like 10,000:1 to 50,000:1 would be more like Native Contrast.

Numbers like 1,000,000:1 would be more like Dynamic Contrast.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
The first rule of reading the specifications that a manufacturer provides?

DON'T BELIEVE THEIR LIES!!!

Few manufacturers come anywhere near their claims for contrast. Many don't come near their claims for brightness. But, contrast is the absolute biggest garbage lie that you can ever read on paper.

The new 4K pixel shifting DLP chips do NOT meet the levels that their previous generation 1080p counterparts were able to deliver. But, they aren't way-way-way off, they just aren't quite as good for contrast. This can be made up for by their acceptance of HDR content and the expanded color content which 4K can deliver. So, you can end up with a better overall image despite the lower contrast.

I would recommend that most new buyers lean towards 4K projectors as a new buyer.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
The first rule of reading the specifications that a manufacturer provides?

DON'T BELIEVE THEIR LIES!!!

Few manufacturers come anywhere near their claims for contrast. Many don't come near their claims for brightness. But, contrast is the absolute biggest garbage lie that you can ever read on paper.

The new 4K pixel shifting DLP chips do NOT meet the levels that their previous generation 1080p counterparts were able to deliver. But, they aren't way-way-way off, they just aren't quite as good for contrast. This can be made up for by their acceptance of HDR content and the expanded color content which 4K can deliver. So, you can end up with a better overall image despite the lower contrast.

I would recommend that most new buyers lean towards 4K projectors as a new buyer.
I can say from experience that DLP is awesome when it comes to entry level projectors, but over time (at least for me) the black level became an issue. It's just not good enough anymore. When I'm not watching a dark movie it's fine, but when a scene is dark, it's annoying TBH.

So, if the newer generation of 4K DLP isn't as good at contrast as the previous, then I wouldn't get one.

I can't watch LCD projectors, but bang for the buck they usually have the best contrast. Lcos like JVC and Sony is the way to go for me (JVC in particular), but you'll be paying much higher than entry level prices.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
After experiencing the awesome display of black levels in my JVC PJ, I would say that the best picture quality (colors, black levels) within your budget is salient, not the 4K resolution, which I think is mostly for bragging rights.

Reliability is always salient.

Based on my experience with a $5,000 (MSRP) brand new Optoma DLP PJ, I would avoid Optoma like the Plague. :D

For less expensive PJ, I would probably look at Sony, BenQ, Epson, and Vivitek.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
After experiencing the awesome display of black levels in my JVC PJ, I would say that the best picture quality (colors, black levels) within your budget is salient, not the 4K resolution, which I think is mostly for bragging rights.

Reliability is always salient.

Based on my experience with a $5,000 (MSRP) brand new Optoma DLP PJ, I would avoid Optoma like the Plague. :D

For less expensive PJ, I would probably look at Sony, BenQ, Epson, and Vivitek.
Hmmm I had an optoma that had its flaws but it was a fun all around projector while I had it.

I got an older but higher end epson for my bedroom pj it blows the optoma I had out of the water but the optoma was a fun PJ to start with

Obviously it wasn't worth 5000 not even close just curious what you didn't like about it if you don't mind me asking? You can pm me so we don't derail the thread since the OP is asking can higher end 1080p models compete with lower end 4k projectors. And we're talking about likes and dislikes of specific projectors

I'm just curious why you didn't like it is all

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Hmmm I had an optoma that had its flaws but it was a fun all around projector while I had it.

I got an older but higher end epson for my bedroom pj it blows the optoma I had out of the water but the optoma was a fun PJ to start with

Obviously it wasn't worth 5000 not even close just curious what you didn't like about it if you don't mind me asking? You can pm me so we don't derail the thread since the OP is asking can higher end 1080p models compete with lower end 4k projectors. And we're talking about likes and dislikes of specific projectors

I'm just curious why you didn't like it is all
Oh, I’ve talked about my nightmare experience with that Optoma PJ a few times on the forum. Within the (3-year) warranty period, I think I had to send it in for repair like 3 times about 6 months apart. I had to pay shipping each time also.

In terms of PQ, it was fine. I can’t recall anything special, but the PQ was good - probably as good as the BenQ W6000. But nothing compared to the JVC PJ.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis