4K UHD wont play on Pioneer SC LX86 Receiver

D

Dinkar Rai

Audioholic Intern
I have a pioneer SC LX 86 receiver. I have recently connected a Sony 4K UHD blu-ray player and The Amazon 4K Firestick to it. Also connected is the 1080p Apple TV and a Iphone 8 through the USB port on the front panel. The Amp is connected to Epson 5040 projector which as all know is HDCP 2.2 compliant. Apple TV 1080p works fine. I am having the following issues:

1. No picture from Blu Ray player and also from fire Stick 4k.
2. No sound from the IPhone

Since the receiver is 4K passthrough, should the receiver not be able to pass the 4K signal to the projector which should be able to display since it is HDCP compliant?

also how to switch on the pass through function on the receiver should it be required?

also why is the iphone not able to play music through the iphone USB port on the front panel?

Darenwh

Darenwh

Audioholic
I do not have that equipment but I would start by isolating where the issue truly is.

First try plugging the cable going directly to the projector into the out on the 4K UHD blu-ray player. If your picture does not come up when connected that way then the issue is most likely not related to the Pioneer Receiver.

In that case issue may be the length of HDMI cable going to the projector not being able to support the bandwidth of the 4K video source. Try another cable, even if only a short one for a few minutes, to see if the image plays then. If it does then it is likely your HDMI cable from the receiver to the Epson projector.

If you still don't get a picture try plugging the Amazon 4K firestick directly into the same port you had the HDMI cable plugged into, this will eliminate all cables as if it comes up this way the port on the projector is good so you may have multiple poor cables. If it does not then it may be a problem with the projector.

I hope this helps a little.

D

Dinkar Rai

Audioholic Intern
I also have two other devices connected to the receiver i.e my 1080p apple TV and Sat Cable box which work fine.

I now swapped the Pioneer LX86 with my Marantz 7010 with the same setup and same cables and all devices are working absolutely fine. So clearly this is a receiver issue. I have been researching this on google and I found many posts that say the Pioneer is not compatible with HDCP 2.2 content. But it should still be able to pass it through is what I assume! but if that is not the case then this receiver is actually worthless!!!!!!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I doubt some of my older avrs could handle pass thru of current 4k standards for HDCP either. Hopefully you got some use out of it the first 8 years or so....

Maybe you could bypass HDCP? Talks about it in this article

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I also have two other devices connected to the receiver i.e my 1080p apple TV and Sat Cable box which work fine.

I now swapped the Pioneer LX86 with my Marantz 7010 with the same setup and same cables and all devices are working absolutely fine. So clearly this is a receiver issue. I have been researching this on google and I found many posts that say the Pioneer is not compatible with HDCP 2.2 content. But it should still be able to pass it through is what I assume! but if that is not the case then this receiver is actually worthless!!!!!!
You can not expect an 8 year old receiver to pass through like you want. It has outdated HDCP codes. Pass through is not a straight connection like you think it is.
So yes, for your purposes that Pioneer receiver is useless.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
I can understand your frustration, but expecting the Pioneer to deal with 4K and HDCP as they exist in 2020 with hardware from 2012 is not logical. Or, at least I think that was what Spock said. Commercially available 4K content was not even available then and they couldn't really know if it would work properly later, but it was a nice selling point. The Pioneer seems like it was and still is a great receiver for those who want to enjoy Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD MA, wide front channels and 3D video. But, if you also want to enjoy 4K HDR video and Dolby Atmos and DTS:X processing, you will have to keep using your Marantz or something else like it with current hardware.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Sorry if this is intruding but asked this in another thread and no resolve yet. Pioneer SC-79 I get a great picture with Blu-ray via any hdmi input and no sound. I did a reset as well. I did a manual setup. No mic. Do you guys think if I buy the Mcacc it will work? I tried every setting and nothing. Only sound I get is from rca input and (((edit)))tuner fm(am/fm) with analog direct on the AVR. Stereo mode I get no sound just analog direct. 1080p only. No 4K tv. For now using a 2 channel setup and if resolved it will be a 5.1. Any help would be appreciated. Seems to be a firmware available here. Will check to see which version I have first.

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Sorry if this is intruding but asked this in another thread and no resolve yet. Pioneer SC-79 I get a great picture with Blu-ray via any hdmi input and no sound. I did a reset as well. I did a manual setup. No mic. Do you guys think if I buy the Mcacc it will work? I tried every setting and nothing. Only sound I get is from rca input and (((edit)))tuner fm(am/fm) with analog direct on the AVR. Stereo mode I get no sound just analog direct. 1080p only. No 4K tv. For now using a 2 channel setup and if resolved it will be a 5.1. Any help would be appreciated. Seems to be a firmware available here. Will check to see which version I have first.
Try a hard reset or two and even three. If that does not solve it your HDMI board is caput.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Try a hard reset or two and even three. If that does not solve it your HDMI board is caput.
Hi Mark I did two resets and nothing. Even with great picture with hdmi could it still be hdmi failure? I did try an update via Ethernet and it said it was up to date. Tuner has audio though, but no audio for streaming music via Ethernet.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Opened just to peep inside. Looks good inside has about 10 fuses and none are blown. Called Pioneer and they told me to take it to a service center. Like LHD and Mark said could be HDMI.
Looks clean. I did use a dust spray to get some dust off:
935201F8-3220-4C90-9371-F92AE03B66DE.jpeg

DCE2D7C3-A97C-48EB-99E4-E94036676C3E.jpeg
F3C4A8EC-E35E-434C-AE23-6D1D53FB28C3.jpeg
79FDC9FA-1D1C-48D9-8666-BB5693BB6BA1.jpeg
CABA2819-824A-4C5C-B15A-5A966AD49A6C.jpeg
78611494-68B2-4785-A6B3-92899F4AA6C5.jpeg
9C879A06-7C3E-4BBA-A123-D8B473781197.jpeg

Attachments

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Hi Mark I did two resets and nothing. Even with great picture with hdmi could it still be hdmi failure? I did try an update via Ethernet and it said it was up to date. Tuner has audio though, but no audio for streaming music via Ethernet.
So either the DAC or HDMI board is caput. I see that is a seven year old receiver. Unfortunately that is within the normal life span of receivers. Too often it is less. As you know I find them problematic affairs. It is too bad that is the way the industry has been geared for so long. It is not sensible and certainly not elegant design. I would love to see research done on the fatality time curve of these things. No one has done one. My intuition tells me it would be a shocker.

As you know I'm not a supporter of a lot that comes out of the EEC. They have mooted the idea of doing this, and writing longevity requirements into law, with heavy fines for manufacturers that fail to meet reliability targets. Not only is this sort of thing bad for the consumer, but it is a massive hidden pollution problem. Not so hidden now, as more and more third world countries are refusing to accept this junk. Some are starting to send the stuff back to the country of origin. The UK is getting some big piles of this junk and have no clue what to do with it.

I certainly think these options should be considered.

Collecting the TRUE cost of disposal at the time of purchase. Some of this is starting.

Preventing obsolescence and mandating modular designs that can be upgraded that would reduce the volume of this waste.

Definite rules for acceptable longevity and reliability.

This is a growing problem we don't talk about enough here. I'm suspicious the problem has been worsening the last few years, with the proliferation of Atmos receivers.

I have just seen your last post. I think you will have to think carefully about the wisdom, of a potentially very costly, repair on a seven your old receiver. Just the physical act of repair will set you up for the chance of further repairs.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Part of it is simply expecting technology to be fully fleshed out on commercial release....or even sometimes having backwards compatibility even if intended. Sometimes there's a price to pay for early adoption, too.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
So either the DAC or HDMI board is caput. I see that is a seven year old receiver. Unfortunately that is within the normal life span of receivers. Too often it is less. As you know I find them problematic affairs. It is too bad that is the way the industry has been geared for so long. It is not sensible and certainly not elegant design. I would love to see research done on the fatality time curve of these things. No one has done one. My intuition tells me it would be a shocker.

As you know I'm not a supporter of a lot that comes out of the EEC. They have mooted the idea of doing this, and writing longevity requirements into law, with heavy fines for manufacturers that fail to meet reliability targets. Not only is this sort of thing bad for the consumer, but it is a massive hidden pollution problem. Not so hidden now, as more and more third world countries are refusing to accept this junk. Some are starting to send the stuff back to the country of origin. The UK is getting some big piles of this junk and have no clue what to do with it.

I certainly think these options should be considered.

Collecting the TRUE cost of disposal at the time of purchase. Some of this is starting.

Preventing obsolescence and mandating modular designs that can be upgraded that would reduce the volume of this waste.

Definite rules for acceptable longevity and reliability.

This is a growing problem we don't talk about enough here. I'm suspicious the problem has been worsening the last few years, with the proliferation of Atmos receivers.

I have just seen your last post. I think you will have to think carefully about the wisdom, of a potentially very costly, repair on a seven your old receiver. Just the physical act of repair will set you up for the chance of further repairs.
Thank you for your help Mark. You are right further repairs would stress me out and not worth it. Thankfully I got it at a local thrift store and can return it and get a credit to buy something else later on. If it had atmos I would have maybe repaired it. No 4K TV yet and in no rush unless I find one there.

D

Dinkar Rai

Audioholic Intern
Thanks all for your help. Two things are clear now:
  • PIoneer LX86 is NOT HDCP 2.2 compliant. Tough luck there but that is the truth. Hence you need to plug back your older regular Blu Ray player, 1080p Apple TV etc and they will work fine. The newer devices that need a HDCP 2.2 handshake will not work.
  • and most important DO NOT connect this receiver to 4/6 ohms speakers. These Class D digital amps (unless they have modified the design later ) CANNOT take take the load and the amplifier will deteriorate over time and then just collapse, give up and die. The protection circuitry will clip in. So please stick to 8 ohm loads.
  • it is 4K pass through so will send the 4K signal to your display but in case your HDCP device is 2.2 then it will have an issue. Should your 4k device be HDCP 2.0, that in my opinion should work just fine but i have not tested it.
Learnt this the hard way so just letting others know. Other than that it is a very musical amp and will give long service.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks all for your help. Two things are clear now:
  • PIoneer LX86 is NOT HDCP 2.2 compliant. Tough luck there but that is the truth. Hence you need to plug back your older regular Blu Ray player, 1080p Apple TV etc and they will work fine. The newer devices that need a HDCP 2.2 handshake will not work.
  • and most important DO NOT connect this receiver to 4/6 ohms speakers. These Class D digital amps (unless they have modified the design later ) CANNOT take take the load and the amplifier will deteriorate over time and then just collapse, give up and die. The protection circuitry will clip in. So please stick to 8 ohm loads.
  • it is 4K pass through so will send the 4K signal to your display but in case your HDCP device is 2.2 then it will have an issue. Should your 4k device be HDCP 2.0, that in my opinion should work just fine but i have not tested it.
Learnt this the hard way so just letting others know. Other than that it is a very musical amp and will give long service.
Well, your middle bullet point is not accurate. Almost all speakers range between 4-8 ohms in any case. While the amp section may not perform at lower impedance as well as you like, that's not quite the same thing....

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis