4K HDR/extended dynamic range

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
I am kinda new to HDR, bought the Sony 900E back in November. I just have some curious question in general and about HDR and Sony. The 900E obviously is 4K and HDR 10, but no Dolby Vision. HDR 10 looks amazing with 4K Blu-ray, looks good with Netflix. How does plain HDR 10 compare to HDR 10 with Extended dynamic range that Sony has? I have turned it off before on my 900E and the picture extremely dark. How does Extended dynamic range work with or interact with HDR? Maybe I'm asking dumb questions, I'm just curious. Thanks for any info.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
IIRC extended dynamic range is what HDR is all about so I'm thinking they're one in the same. Kind of like how manufacturers try to make HDMI-CEC sound like it's more than what it is by giving it a fancy name.

https://www.cnet.com/news/high-dynamic-range-dolby-vision-x-tended-dynamic-range-pro-and-beyond/
Thanks I was gonna say all HDR does settings wise is turn brightness to MAX. Expect it turns x-tended dynamic range to high. Without it, or off the picture is so dark. Without it you can tell it's still HDR but without the pop, the real pop. With it on high it's as bright as can be and pops huge.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Thanks I was gonna say all HDR does settings wise is turn brightness to MAX. Expect it turns x-tended dynamic range to high. Without it, or off the picture is so dark. Without it you can tell it's still HDR but without the pop, the real pop. With it on high it's as bright as can be and pops huge.

If you haven't I'd really look to rtings for calibration settings for you TV. I did for mine and I don't think I need to spring for a pro calibration. Picture is fantastic. Yours would be even better being a higher end model.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
If you haven't I'd really look to rtings for calibration settings for you TV. I did for mine and I don't think I need to spring for a pro calibration. Picture is fantastic. Yours would be even better being a higher end model.
I actually am using a friend's settings with the same TV that he had pro calibrated. I made a few tweaks to that but it looks fantastic.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I actually am using a friend's settings with the same TV that he had pro calibrated. I made a few tweaks to that but it looks fantastic.

Cool. Check rtings for the setting for x-tended dynamic range and see what they say. My TV doesn't seem to have it (unless I'm missing it).

EDIT: I checked and they say this "Note that for the calibration, we turned off the 'Auto local dimming' and 'X-tended Dynamic Range', but you should turn on these features for normal TV and movie viewing."

So I'd say make sure you have them on. Sounds like you remove HDR functionality when it's turned off.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Cool. Check rtings for the setting for x-tended dynamic range and see what they say. My TV doesn't seem to have it (unless I'm missing it).

EDIT: I checked and they say this "Note that for the calibration, we turned off the 'Auto local dimming' and 'X-tended Dynamic Range', but you should turn on these features for normal TV and movie viewing."

So I'd say make sure you have them on. Sounds like you remove HDR functionality when it's turned off.
Yeah on during HDR for sure. Non-HDR it blows out the color, oversaturats the picture.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Yeah on during HDR for sure. Non-HDR it blows out the color, oversaturats the picture.

That's odd. It should auto detect the color space. Mine does. You shouldn't have to manually change picture modes when you want to watch something.

What's your source? I saw 4k bd, but I'm not sure if that's from a player or PC.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
That's odd. It should auto detect the color space. Mine does. You shouldn't have to manually change picture modes when you want to watch something.

What's your source? I saw 4k bd, but I'm not sure if that's from a player or PC.
Huh? I'm confused. Picture modes? I don't change picture modes. When the 900E detects HDR it puts brightness at MAX and x-tended dynamic range on high. What is color space?

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Huh? I'm confused. Picture modes? I don't change picture modes. When the 900E detects HDR it puts brightness at MAX and x-tended dynamic range on high. What is color space?

I think I may have misunderstood a previous post you made. I was saying that if you have to manually enable x-tended dynamic range for HDR content and manually disable it for non-HDR content then that seems odd. If that isn't what's happening disregard my post.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
I think I may have misunderstood a previous post you made. I was saying that if you have to manually enable x-tended dynamic range for HDR content and manually disable it for non-HDR content then that seems odd. If that isn't what's happening disregard my post.
No problem, I'm often confused.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis