4k Disk, non 4k PJ, still get atmos?

D

Drunkpenguin

Audioholic Chief
I have a 4k bluray player and an atmos receiver, but my PJ is 1080p. If I buy a 4k disk like the Matrix can I still get the atmos sound with it? How would that work? Does my Oppo player down sample the video but still send the updated audio?

Last edited:
Bookmark

Bookmark

Full Audioholic
Short answer Yes. :)

So long as your Denon gets the Oppo signal it can pull the Atmos track out first. Because of the Projector the display output will be dropped to 1080p so you won't get the 4K or HDR. I do this with mine. The TV does the 4K, HDR and the projector is only 1080p. My Yammy output are connected to both at the same time. If both are on at the same time then the display for both is 1080p

If Oppo had 2 outputs as I think most do then you could feed one directly to the Projector and the Audio one to the Denon.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I also get 1080p for Video on my PJ and Atmos/DTSX for Sound with a single HDMI cable.

D

Drunkpenguin

Audioholic Chief
It's kind of a bummer to find out that some Blurays don't come with the atmos sound track unless you get the 4k disk. Found this out with Dead Pool 2. I still do Netflix disks so I hope they don't force me to start buying disks again just to get the atmos track.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
It's kind of a bummer to find out that some Blurays don't come with the atmos sound track unless you get the 4k disk. Found this out with Dead Pool 2. I still do Netflix disks so I hope they don't force me to start buying disks again just to get the atmos track.
I stopped the rental blu-ray from Netflix a while ago, but some movies were worse than that. For the "rental" version of a movie you only got regular DD. They really want people to buy the movies rather than rent them. Stupid.

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
There are a few (very few) "normal" Blu Rays that have Atmos Sound. I just picked up Roger Waters (formerly of Pink Floyd) The Wall, mostly because it had this feature.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
There are a few (very few) "normal" Blu Rays that have Atmos Sound. I just picked up Roger Waters (formerly of Pink Floyd) The Wall, mostly because it had this feature.
I have that BD. It's fantastic.

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
I have that BD. It's fantastic.
Well, now that I've seen it, I'm glad you liked it.

I originally thought it was all based on Roger Water's best tune (The Wall) and it was. It seemed a bit thin to use that one concept for the whole disk. (IMHO) I wish it was strictly the concert in Atmos and left the rest as an option to be switched off. One of the failings I find with most concert disks is that the producers want to "enhance" them with non concert footage; and that's fine if they have a menu option to do away with it, if you just want to play the concert. However, that option is few and far between for the ones I purchased. (How many times can you listen to a Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction acceptance speech anyway...?)

For me, I really didn't get the Atmos "moment" I was looking for from this disk, and maybe it's my setup. I have a high back Lazyboy swivel rocker /recliner in the sweet spot and maybe it's cutting off the rear Atmos speakers. I just lent The Wall to one of my brothers who is a big Roger Water's fan today, so it will be a while before I can test it with a different chair. I'm much more a David Gilmore fan (Google "pink floyd songs written by david gilmour" and you'll see why) as I see Roger Water's more of a producer and lyricist, than a composer / musician.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Well, now that I've seen it, I'm glad you liked it.

I originally thought it was all based on Roger Water's best tune (The Wall) and it was. It seemed a bit thin to use that one concept for the whole disk. (IMHO) I wish it was strictly the concert in Atmos and left the rest as an option to be switched off. One of the failings I find with most concert disks is that the producers want to "enhance" them with non concert footage; and that's fine if they have a menu option to do away with it, if you just want to play the concert. However, that option is few and far between for the ones I purchased. (How many times can you listen to a Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction acceptance speech anyway...?)

For me, I really didn't get the Atmos "moment" I was looking for from this disk, and maybe it's my setup. I have a high back Lazyboy swivel rocker /recliner in the sweet spot and maybe it's cutting off the rear Atmos speakers. I just lent The Wall to one of my brothers who is a big Roger Water's fan today, so it will be a while before I can test it with a different chair. I'm much more a David Gilmore fan (Google "pink floyd songs written by david gilmour" and you'll see why) as I see Roger Water's more of a producer and lyricist, than a composer / musician.
Totally agree with you. I love the way Gilmore plays (I have the remember that night BD and it's awesome) BUT Pink Floyd isn't Pink Floyd without them both. Final cut was a horrible album and was all Roger. I view The Wall as their "last" album. At least their last good one.

I could have done without the non-concert parts as well, but it was an interesting addition in that it made it more of a film than just a concert BD.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis