4k disc better than streaming 4k content

M

MasterApex

Audioholic Intern
I notice that playback from 4k disc has noticeably better picture (color contrast) quality and sound (dynamic and presence) quality than streaming the same content from Apple TV 4k
One of the most obvious one is the Top Gun Maverick 4k disc vs its 4k streaming content .

It is less obvious in my living room with LG 4k class 80 series TV and bookshelf speakers.
It is very obvious is my HT setup with Sony XW5000 laser projector and B&W 800D3 speakers

It makes me want to collect a few more good movies in 4k disc because the same content streaming in 4k has less quality ...

Does anyone observe the same difference between 4k disc playback vs 4k streaming quality ?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Still holds IME for the level below, too (1080p). Maybe if we had awesome internet speed here but we don't :)

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
I notice that playback from 4k disc has noticeably better picture (color contrast) quality and sound (dynamic and presence) quality than streaming the same content from Apple TV 4k
One of the most obvious one is the Top Gun Maverick 4k disc vs its 4k streaming content .

It is less obvious in my living room with LG 4k class 80 series TV and bookshelf speakers.
It is very obvious is my HT setup with Sony XW5000 laser projector and B&W 800D3 speakers

It makes me want to collect a few more good movies in 4k disc because the same content streaming in 4k has less quality ...

Does anyone observe the same difference between 4k disc playback vs 4k streaming quality ?
That's just a given...streaming at best has one fourth to one third of the bitrate of the disc counterpart.
Bitrate equals quality. Just like a 1200 dpi photo looks better than a 300 dpi photo.
This is why I don't stream anything...except YouTube.

With physical media dying a slow death, more studios should just go the same route as Kaleidescape and others do...just sell you the movie as a downloadable file.
Kaleidescape knows how to protect these files so they can't be pirated, so security shouldn't be an issue.

M

Mpsafranski

Audioholic
Absolutely and it’s not close!

dynamics are the most obvious thing you lose…and the bass never hits quite right streaming. Now, streaming is convenient and I still stream regularly. But I always check out reviews of the discs on sites like hidef digest or another similar site. If a particular movie gets the “reference quality atmos track” nod, I’m buying that movie. Case in point I recently bought Deepwater Horizon. Solely for the sound; I’d never seen it before and it certainly wasn’t on my radar. Well, as far as an immersive, hard hitting ass shaking bass fest with flawless use of the overheads go, there isn’t much better.

so I check eBay or wait on sales and pick up movies that I know will deliver the sonic goods (even if they’re not “good” movies like the new mortal kombat). You can often find them for around $10 which isn’t much more than apple will charge to rent them. so if you think you’ll watch said movie more than once, it’s a no-brainer.

bottom line is my 4K disc collection has grown to about 75 movies, most of which are dumb popcorn action movies because that’s where the sonic goods usually are and having a system that delivers the goods makes a good “dumb”movie a joy to experience. Doesn’t hurt that I finally have the screen that does the same (83” Sony oled).

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
Absolutely and it’s not close!

dynamics are the most obvious thing you lose…and the bass never hits quite right streaming. Now, streaming is convenient and I still stream regularly. But I always check out reviews of the discs on sites like hidef digest or another similar site. If a particular movie gets the “reference quality atmos track” nod, I’m buying that movie. Case in point I recently bought Deepwater Horizon. Solely for the sound; I’d never seen it before and it certainly wasn’t on my radar. Well, as far as an immersive, hard hitting ass shaking bass fest with flawless use of the overheads go, there isn’t much better.

so I check eBay or wait on sales and pick up movies that I know will deliver the sonic goods (even if they’re not “good” movies like the new mortal kombat). You can often find them for around $10 which isn’t much more than apple will charge to rent them. so if you think you’ll watch said movie more than once, it’s a no-brainer.

bottom line is my 4K disc collection has grown to about 75 movies, most of which are dumb popcorn action movies because that’s where the sonic goods usually are and having a system that delivers the goods makes a good “dumb”movie a joy to experience. Doesn’t hurt that I finally have the screen that does the same (83” Sony oled).
I forgot to mention the difference in sound quality
Since Atmos in generally lower in volume anyhow, the streaming variant of Atmos is very lacking in dynamics.... plus, they usually use a different mix altogether.
Even the Dolby Vision profiles from streaming are different...it's more like Dolby Vision Lite.
I better stop, before I go into my usual anti-streaming rants.:)

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General

Correct, physical disc will always win out vs streaming. As of right now. Streaming bitrates are only in the 20's, while disc bitrates are in the 60-80+ range. And the Atmos mix on the stream is not the same as disc either. It's close, but still no match. The only thing that can compete with physical disc is the K-scape system. It's identical match to physical disc.

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
The only problem with the disc is that degrade over time and sometimes the disc player needs an updates to play certain disc, which updates are no offered by hardware manufacturers because they want to move away from disc.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
The only problem with the disc is that degrade over time and sometimes the disc player needs an updates to play certain disc, which updates are no offered by hardware manufacturers because they want to move away from disc.
I have had no more than two old CDs degrade over time. I do not think this is an issue.

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
All my thousands of movies/series on hard drives never decay.......

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
All my thousands of movies/series on hard drives never decay.......
The hard drives could fail. Both are good, but I would be more worried about a hard drive failure over a disc getting old.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I have had no more than two old CDs degrade over time. I do not think this is an issue.
Agree. I have only had it happen once and it was a cheap-o off brand CD copy. I've never had it happen with a OEM disc.

I was mostly referring to blu ray disc and blu ray players.
While CD/DVD/BD are not "forever" media, I doubt disc degradation failure will happen in most people's lifetime.

Firmware that supports newer discs than the player has always been a problem. I have that problem right now with a few discs and my Oppo 205 - no chance of new firmware there. But they work fine in the PS5 which gets regular updates.

W

warnerwh

Full Audioholic
I have cd's from the 80's that work fine. A few decades or so ago there was a rumor of cd rot. Of course it never happened. Also about the same time people were buying green sharpies to make their cd's sound better. Just put green ink around the perimeter of your cd and the clarity openness and musicality will increase from 12.4% up to 44.3%. I don't think it works anymore though.

J

Jeepnmon

Audiophyte
I remember the warnings of future CD rot. Mine from the 80’s and early 90’s are fine also. IMO, the green sharpie phenomenon was likely the beginning of the all of the audiophoolery we see and hear about today!

W

warnerwh

Full Audioholic
I remember the warnings of future CD rot. Mine from the 80’s and early 90’s are fine also. IMO, the green sharpie phenomenon was likely the beginning of the all of the audiophoolery we see and hear about today!
Actually the magic wire started showing up in the early 80's and there was some in the 70's by at least one manufacturer.

Last edited:
M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
I don't know about this, the guy is kind of down playing the differences between streaming and disc bitrates.
I think he's just trying to show that the gap between Streaming and disc quality is getting closer and closer. He still agrees the absolute best way to watch media is on disc or K-scape. But that streaming quality will and should get better sooner rather than later. Once these big dog streaming outlets finally increase the bitrates to add full Atmos and improved picture, yikes!

Last edited:
T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Discs just win. Streaming audio or video is such a mixed bag from software to streaming service to internet service to devices. Can’t say I’ve ever experienced CD rot. Rugged little things. Now, laser rot on my laserdiscs, that is real and a shame.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis