4K broadcast color issue

P

PixelDust

Enthusiast
Finally starting to see some 4K content for football games. I noticed this issue last week but more obvious today.

First off, my display is a Panasonic 4K SDR about 4 years old. I am using Xfinity. Broadcast is definitely in 4K and I am comparing colors to the HD broadcast. Colors are just off in 4K and perfect in HD, instead of red I have more of a burnt orange. Picture also seems a bit darker than it should be.

So, do I need to do a separate calibration for 4K content? Or is my SDR instead of HDR holding me back. Couldn't watch HDR broadcasts of the Olympics. Any suggestions helpful.

Thanks.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Some sets will look better in SDR than HDR if the feature is poorly implemented as the TV will will cover a higher percentage of the SDR color space. Turn off HDR. If the 4K image looks better, leave it off. Also, TV picture settings will be separate for SDR and HDR. So, compare them by switching back and forth from SDR to HDR and make any preferred changes to one or the other. Oh, and don't forget to actually turn on HDR in the HDMI input connected to the Xfinity. This alone may fix the issue. Should have led with that one as an HDR image from any external source would have looked off if HDR was set to off in the HDMI input.

Last edited:
P

PixelDust

Enthusiast
Some sets will look better in SDR than HDR if the feature is poorly implemented as the TV will will cover a higher percentage of the SDR color space. Turn off HDR. If the 4K image looks better, leave it off. Also, TV picture settings will be separate for SDR and HDR. So, compare them by switching back and forth from SDR to HDR and make any preferred changes to one or the other.
Thanks for the info. Unfortunately, my TV is SDR - so no option on turning off HDR. I have not much if any adjustment on the Xfinity controls either. Perhaps, as you said, the broadcast is being sent in HDR and the interpolation to SDR is causing the issue. I will keep seeing what I can do.

Anyone with SDR displays having similar issue?

Thanks!

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Sorry, missed SDR mention in your post. There were issues with color gamut on some 4K SDR sets. HD color is delivered in REC.709 and UHD color is not and can be tricky based on color space selected in picture settings. Sorry, should have asked about the model of the TV.

P

PixelDust

Enthusiast
Sorry, missed SDR mention in your post. There were issues with color gamut on some 4K SDR sets. HD color is delivered in REC.709 and UHD color is not and can be tricky based on color space selected in picture settings. Sorry, should have asked about the model of the TV.
Thanks. TV is Panasonic TC-65AX800U. Is there anything I can adjust on the TV? I am not sure if there is a designation between HD and 4K viewing as far as adjustments. Should I start looking for a new display if I want to watch 4K?

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Going into the Picture Settings, scroll down to Color Gamut while watching 4K content from Xfinity. What is displayed as the color space? Is it greyed out and unadjustable?

P

PixelDust

Enthusiast
Going into the Picture Settings, scroll down to Color Gamut while watching 4K content from Xfinity. What is displayed as the color space? Is it greyed out and unadjustable?
OK, so, to get to color gamut, I had to change the picture setting from standard to custom/professional so that pro settings were not greyed out. Once I did this, the colors came back from the change in picture setting. So, really, problem solved right there. But, I wanted to learn more, so, I went into pro settings and this opens up more options.

So, if by color space, you mean color gamut - it is not greyed out now and displays: Rec. 709.
There is also Contrast A.I., W/B detail adjustment, color detail adjustment and Gamma detail adjustment.

So, I will probably go back and run a calibration and/or run a bit different settings when watching 4K content(it's not like there is much stuff to watch right now anyway).

Thanks for the help!!!!!

Any other advice for picture on 4K is much appreciated!

Guess I can keep this display for now:confused:

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
So, while watching 4k content, go to the color gamut settings and see if you can switch from REC. 709 to DCI-P3 or Rec.2020. Not sure if it has those settings if it is not an HDR model.

P

PixelDust

Enthusiast
So, while watching 4k content, go to the color gamut settings and see if you can switch from REC. 709 to DCI-P3 or Rec.2020. Not sure if it has those settings if it is not an HDR model.
My 4 options are: Native - Rec. 709 - SMPTE-C - EBU

What do they do?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis