4K and upscaling - is it worth it?

3rdeye

Junior Audioholic
With their still being limited content actually filmed in 4K, I wanted to know if anyone was familiar with the payoff for buying a 4K. Does either LCD or OLED TVs handle this better?

I'm looking at getting OLED...I am just wondering how frequently I can enjoy content on this TV since it has to be upscaled. I understand that not all TVs do this as well...but I am not sure which ones are said to do it seamlessly (if that's even achievable now)

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Joe B

Joe B

Audioholic Chief
With their still being limited content actually filmed in 4K, I wanted to know if anyone was familiar with the payoff for buying a 4K. Does either LCD or OLED TVs handle this better?

I'm looking at getting OLED...I am just wondering how frequently I can enjoy content on this TV since it has to be upscaled. I understand that not all TVs do this as well...but I am not sure which ones are said to do it seamlessly (if that's even achievable now)

The pay off for buying a 4K TV is you are getting the best features from the manufacturer, features that they do not include in their "lesser" offerings.

I worried when I bought my 4K set last year (my first HD TV) that my extensive DVD collection would be unacceptable to enjoy. It is not a problem. My Oppo player upscales wonderfully, and my DVD collection is still "worthy." Upscaled content can look awesome if the source material used for the transfer was good.

Which TV's upscale best? I have no idea. I only watch DVD's and Blu-rays and have my Oppo set to upscale and output at 4K, so the processor in the TV is not doing anything. Hopefully others will be able to steer you in this.

3rdeye

Junior Audioholic
The pay off for buying a 4K TV is you are getting the best features from the manufacturer, features that they do not include in their "lesser" offerings.

I worried when I bought my 4K set last year (my first HD TV) that my extensive DVD collection would be unacceptable to enjoy. It is not a problem. My Oppo player upscales wonderfully, and my DVD collection is still "worthy." Upscaled content can look awesome if the source material used for the transfer was good.

Which TV's upscale best? I have no idea. I only watch DVD's and Blu-rays and have my Oppo set to upscale and output at 4K, so the processor in the TV is not doing anything. Hopefully others will be able to steer you in this.
Are Oppo blu ray players better at upscaling than the TV would be?

Joe B

Joe B

Audioholic Chief
Are Oppo blu ray players better at upscaling than the TV would be?

Oppo's players offer extremely good video chips and the BDP-105(D) and UDP-205 offer D/A converters that can rival what's in most AVR's. That's why they receive such good reviews and also why their price is above entry level players.
It is quite possible that a person's Blu-ray player, AVR, and TV all have video processing chips. So the question becomes which one are you going to use. I'm not saying that what's inside an Oppo player will be superior to the other pieces of equipment, but in many cases that could be the case.

B

bradymartin

Full Audioholic
I only watch DVD's and Blu-rays and have my Oppo set to upscale and output at 4K, so the processor in the TV is not doing anything.
just to get this straight, if you set your bluray player, avr etc. to upscale content, there is not an option on the tv so it does not upscale, but lets the source do it?

this confuses me

so in that sense, if you prefer the tv to upscale, buy a very good expensive tv unless you get something like an oppo or a really expensive avr to upscale?

if i bought an lg oled tv, best reviews for picture ive read, and used it with an oppo or expensive avr, would you let the tv upscale and if so, you would turn off any upscaling from the oppo or expensive avr?

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
just to get this straight, if you set your bluray player, avr etc. to upscale content, there is not an option on the tv so it does not upscale, but lets the source do it?

this confuses me

so in that sense, if you prefer the tv to upscale, buy a very good expensive tv unless you get something like an oppo or a really expensive avr to upscale?

if i bought an lg oled tv, best reviews for picture ive read, and used it with an oppo or expensive avr, would you let the tv upscale and if so, you would turn off any upscaling from the oppo or expensive avr?
I would try each and see which you prefer. Some TVs have great image processing while others don't. It depends. AVRs have up-scaling, but the chips used in each vary. Some use HQV, some QDEO, but I'm not sure how one differs from another. My receiver somehow has both, but I let the TV scale everything since Sony supposedly has very good video processing.

Oppo is also supposed to be very good.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis