4K - 8K Resolution and/or Dolby Atmos/DTSX Content Reviews

D

dolynick

Audioholic
Aliens Special Edition UHD is definitely simlar to the Abyss in how it was handled. I was more wow'd by the Abyss, but I thought there was a fair bit to like in this one as well.

I've seen quite a few negative comments about it but it's really not bad. There is a fine film grain present through pretty much the entire movie but it's much less noticeable than your typical film scan.

Overall, the movie looks good. Most definitely the clearest of any version previous. Some have commented on occassionally waxy moments in faces but I didn't see anything egregious. There are some shots that are just softer and in those you do lose a little bit of the skin surface detail (they also tend to be in shadow more often too, which doesn't help), so maybe that's what they're referring to.

There are some moments where things look a little surreal and "overprocessed", for lack of a better term. Almost with a 3D feel to them. In general, I think the HDR transfer has a lot more contrast than I recall seeing in previous versions. Combine that with what might be akin to some edge enhancement (usually pretty mild) in the AI resampling and I think that's responsible for the quasi 3D depth sense in one or two scenes (in the first 30 min of the movie I noted two). The movie felt brighter overall, mainly due to the contrast. Blacks were good and highlights were bright (occassionally a bit glaring in a few scenes) and I think it causes the dark scenes (particularly those outside the complex) to be not as gloomy as I recall in previous versions. I don't think it's bad, but it was something I noted that felt different. I want to call it HDR doing what it should in terms of increased depth of range in shading but it's also possible they just opted to shift the balance on stuff too.

Audio was... I was engrossed in the movie so I can't say too much about it. It was good. Thin in that older 80s and earlier movie way, but clear and a full mix.

I can see how opinions are going to be divided on the 4k version, but if you wanted a cleaned up and more pristine looking Aliens with a much wider color/contrast range and easier to make out picture, you're in luck.

Last edited:
Tankini

Tankini

Full Audioholic
Which was Frank Darabont. Who gave us all Shawshank Redemption, The Green Mile and The Mist. Guess he doesn’t know what he’s doing…. :p
Frank Darabont getting replaced still Doesn't replace the fact of the graininess of TWD series. He wouldn't go alone with AMC bullshit, Basically told AMC no he wouldn't do it. By the way, According to fanfare of TWD, the 1st Season was shot according to the comic books.

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
Frank Darabont getting replaced still Doesn't replace the fact of the graininess of TWD series. He wouldn't go alone with AMC bullshit, Basically told AMC no he wouldn't do it. By the way, According to fanfare of TWD, the 1st Season was shot according to the comic books.
I purchased the first season of the walking dead like 12-13 years ago and still haven't finish it to this day. Haha. That show should've ended many years ago. I can't believe they're still making spin-offs and what not. It's really sad that AMC the network that gave us Mad Men, Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul can't find other shows to put on their network. They just keep putting more Walking dead crap on, year after year. :)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I purchased the first season of the walking dead like 12-13 years ago and still haven't finish it to this day. Haha. That show should've ended many years ago. I can't believe they're still making spin-offs and what not. It's really sad that AMC the network that gave us Mad Men, Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul can't find other shows to put on their network. They just keep putting more Walking dead crap on, year after year. :)
I love the original Walking Dead, Dead City, Daryl Dixon, and The Ones Who Live.

Guilty as charged. :D

Tankini

Tankini

Full Audioholic
AMC+ has a lot of British shows a Lot! Watched All of TWD, plus all of the spinoffs. Just as HBO GOT and spinoffs. Season 8 of GOT was Fantastic!:p

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Aliens Special Edition UHD is definitely simlar to the Abyss in how it was handled. I was more wow'd by the Abyss, but I thought there was a fair bit to like in this one as well.

I've seen quite a few negative comments about it but it's really not bad. There is a fine film grain present through pretty much the entire movie but it's much less noticeable than your typical film scan.

Overall, the movie looks good. Most definitely the clearest of any version previous. Some have commented on occassionally waxy moments in faces but I didn't see anything egregious. There are some shots that are just softer and in those you do lose a little bit of the skin surface detail (they also tend to be in shadow more often too, which doesn't help), so maybe that's what they're referring to.

There are some moments where things look a little surreal and "overprocessed", for lack of a better term. Almost with a 3D feel to them. In general, I think the HDR transfer has a lot more contrast than I recall seeing in previous versions. Combine that with what might be akin to some edge enhancement (usually pretty mild) in the AI resampling and I think that's responsible for the quasi 3D depth sense in one or two scenes (in the first 30 min of the movie I noted two). The movie felt brighter overall, mainly due to the contrast. Blacks were good and highlights were bright (occassionally a bit glaring in a few scenes) and I think it causes the dark scenes (particularly those outside the complex) to be not as gloomy as I recall in previous versions. I don't think it's bad, but it was something I noted that felt different. I want to call it HDR doing what it should in terms of increased depth of range in shading but it's also possible they just opted to shift the balance on stuff too.

Audio was... I was engrossed in the movie so I can't say too much about it. It was good. Thin in that older 80s and earlier movie way, but clear and a full mix.

I can see how opinions are going to be divided on the 4k version, but if you wanted a cleaned up and more pristine looking Aliens with a much wider and easier to make out picture, you're in luck.
Mine says it will arrive tomorrow.

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
One of the best looking, best filmed shows I've ever seen is this one. It is on Bluray....great story, a little off the beaten path.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Mine says it will arrive tomorrow.
Just got an update that it won't come until NEXT Thurs now. I should increase my order to 10 copies and ebay them. These guys really bungled this release

OR Amazon bungled/lost/mishandled some copies lol

Last edited:
M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
Just got an update that it won't come until NEXT Thurs now. I should increase my order to 10 copies and ebay them. These guys really bungled this release.
My copy of True Lies is on it's way. It's coming a week earlier than expected.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I concur that the newly AI-remastered 4K-ATMOS versions of Aliens, Abyss, and True Lies look a lot better than the older BD versions.

I wish all older movies (like The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly) were 4K-Remastered w/ AI like Aliens/Abyss.

Last edited:
M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
I concur that the newly remastered 4K-ATMOS versions of Aliens, Abyss, and True Lies look a lot better than the older BD versions.

I wish all older movies (like The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly) were 4K-Remastered w/ AI like Aliens/Abyss.
hahaha heck no! Leave The good, the bad and the ugly alone!!!

Any changes to the source is never good. Using AI to manipulate (IE-adding DNR or other) is actually ruining the video source. We are not seeing the movie as it should be. Upscaling to 4k and removing some film grain (assuming it was shot on film) is a-okay to do. Adding HDR is a-okay. Nobody wants to see waxy looking people. Nobody uses 6-8k cameras today and shoots digitally to get a waxy look. Cameron hasn't excepted that he shot on film and wishes all his old movies looked like digital. It's like George Lucas going in changing/adding all the stuff to his original movies because he didn't have the technology when it was originally made. Don't ruin the originals! :D :)

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Speaking of Aliens, there is a new Alien movie coming this year, produced by Ridley Scott.

Shot using the 4K ARRI ALEXA digital camera.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
hahaha heck no! Leave The good, the bad and the ugly alone!!!

Any changes to the source is never good. Using AI to manipulate (IE-adding DNR or other) is actually ruining the video source. We are not seeing the movie as it should be. Upscaling to 4k and removing some film grain (assuming it was shot on film) is a-okay to do. Adding HDR is a-okay. Nobody wants to see waxy looking people. Nobody uses 6-8k cameras today and shoots digitally to get a waxy look. Cameron hasn't excepted that he shot on film and wishes all his old movies looked like digital. It's like George Lucas going in changing/adding all the stuff to his original movies because he didn't have the technology when it was originally made. Don't ruin the originals! :D :)
I am saying if they can make it look good like the newly remastered Aliens/Abyss.

Unless you think the newly remaster Aliens/Abyss look waxy.

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
Speaking of Aliens, there is a new Alien movie coming this year, produced by Ridley Scott.

Teaser trailer is up. I'm guessing theatrical is coming soon. Looks better than Alien Covenant! :p :D

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
I am saying if they can make it look good like the newly remastered Aliens/Abyss.

Unless you think the newly remaster Aliens/Abyss look waxy.
Haha, yes, all 3 have waxy looking issues. That's the biggest issue with the remasters. The Abyss is being ranked as the best of the bunch followed by Aliens and True Lies being the worst.

James Cameron claims to be "Mr. Theater" guy. See my movies in theater the way they were meant to be seen!!! And has always been about giving the audience the best possible picture and sound. So why would he all of a sudden want to manipulate the picture quality and not give us the best possible presentation? As for sound, he is giving us the best possible sound mix. So, give him credit there. :)

IMG_3011.jpeg

Left is Blu Ray the right is 4k. You can clearly see the 4k has DNR all over it.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi

Hmm, it does look to be a film, but there is also a TV series produced by Ridley that is supposed to be coming this year as well. Romulus does look good.

Fede Alvarez is a pretty good director IMO. 3 of his films I really enjoyed. Evil Dead reboot, Don't Breathe and The Girl in the Spider's Web.

Last edited:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Just got my updated shipping notice on Aliens 4K. I guess they "found" some copies they could send and now it is arriving tomorrow instead of Thurs.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Hmm, it does look to be a film, but there is also a TV series produced by Ridley that is supposed to be coming this year as well. Romulus does look good.

Fede Alvarez is a pretty good director IMO. 3 of his films I really enjoyed. Evil Dead reboot, Don't Breathe and The Girl in the Spider's Web.
Even my wife loved “Don’t Breathe”. Pretty good movie. :D

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Aliens 4K finally came over the weekend. I haven't had a chance to watch the whole thing yet, but what I did watch looked excellent. I am impressed with how good it looks. Will have to get around to watching the whole thing again. I am glad they also updated the Special Edition version to 4K as well.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Aliens 4K finally came over the weekend. I haven't had a chance to watch the whole thing yet, but what I did watch looked excellent. I am impressed with how good it looks. Will have to get around to watching the whole thing again. I am glad they also updated the Special Edition version to 4K as well.
Yeah, it does look great. Very clean looking.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis