4K - 8K Resolution and/or Dolby Atmos/DTSX Content Reviews

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
Way too expensive for me. :D

I can only afford $1 McDonald's menu. :D
Dang, you still have a dollar menu? shoot with sky high inflation, its' now the $3 menu! :p

$60 for that series is way too much. Maybe some day I'll pick it up on super sale. $19.99.

OH, speaking of super sale. I finally picked up Moonfall! hahaha. Went on super sale. Now I will finally see this amazing PQ/SQ and story! :p

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Dang, you still have a dollar menu? shoot with sky high inflation, its' now the $3 menu! :p

$60 for that series is way too much. Maybe some day I'll pick it up on super sale. $19.99.

OH, speaking of super sale. I finally picked up Moonfall! hahaha. Went on super sale. Now I will finally see this amazing PQ/SQ and story! :p
It’s a fun Sci-Fi flick with among the best PQ and SQ.

It even deals with some cool physics. It’s the kind of movie I can rewatch.

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
The Lost Boy's (87) and Fright Night (85) on 4k!

Watched both of these over the weekend. If you're a horror movie fan you should definitely check these out. I'm guessing a lot of people on here have seen these (way back in the day). They are true 80's classic horror movies. They both got the 4k treatment and they both look and sound great! These are hands down the best versions to own. So, if you still have the VHS copies, it might be time to retire them and snag these on 4k! :p

Don't go into these movies looking for "demo" worthy material. PQ wise, everything just looked cleaned up. For being from the 80's, the grain level was pretty low, in my opinion. Skin tones in closeup shots were very good. They used some CGI effects in The Lost Boys which definitely is dated, but the makeup and practical effects were done well. Same with Fright Night. I don't recall really any CGI used and everything was practical.

SQ-The Lost Boys was just a 5.1 mix with moderate level bass. Fright Night though had an ATMOS mix and there was some serious bass for a couple of scenes. One scene in particular, Charley (main character) is hanging out in his room and Jerry (vampire) is heard jumping on charley's rooftop. When he did that my sub shook the house. It was so loud. The ATMOS effects during that scene were really good as well. I was quite surprised at how many overhead effects I was hearing throughout the movie.

Overall, if you're a fan of these types of movies, you'll really like the new 4k editions. Great picture, great sound, great 80's horror! :D

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
Universal Classic Monsters 4k set-Dracula/Frankenstein/The Invisible Man and The Wolf Man

Watched this 4-pack last week. Universal Studios did an excellent job with these movies. They were all made in the early 1930's and the 4k remasters were fantastic. Each movie is only 1 hour and 10 minutes. I've only seen clips of these movies throughout my life, never the entire movies. Until now! :D

PQ/SQ- For movies made in the 30's the picture and sound were top notch. I never had any trouble hearing what people were saying. Picture quality looked very good. They cleaned up the film and did an excellent job with restoration. It doesn't look as grainy as I remember. Looks toned down.

Overall, I really enjoyed these movies. Universal just released Volume 2. Which came out today! That pack includes The Mummy, Bride of Frankenstein, Phantom of the Opera and The Creature from the Black Lagoon. I'm looking forward to watching those! :D

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Edge of Tomorrow is $14 on Amazon today (10/11) for Prime members. I had it in my cart from before and it showed the old price of $6 more than that. Search for it and it should come up with the sale price.

Last edited:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The Lost Boy's (87) and Fright Night (85) on 4k!

Watched both of these over the weekend. If you're a horror movie fan you should definitely check these out. I'm guessing a lot of people on here have seen these (way back in the day). They are true 80's classic horror movies. They both got the 4k treatment and they both look and sound great! These are hands down the best versions to own. So, if you still have the VHS copies, it might be time to retire them and snag these on 4k! :p

Don't go into these movies looking for "demo" worthy material. PQ wise, everything just looked cleaned up. For being from the 80's, the grain level was pretty low, in my opinion. Skin tones in closeup shots were very good. They used some CGI effects in The Lost Boys which definitely is dated, but the makeup and practical effects were done well. Same with Fright Night. I don't recall really any CGI used and everything was practical.

SQ-The Lost Boys was just a 5.1 mix with moderate level bass. Fright Night though had an ATMOS mix and there was some serious bass for a couple of scenes. One scene in particular, Charley (main character) is hanging out in his room and Jerry (vampire) is heard jumping on charley's rooftop. When he did that my sub shook the house. It was so loud. The ATMOS effects during that scene were really good as well. I was quite surprised at how many overhead effects I was hearing throughout the movie.

Overall, if you're a fan of these types of movies, you'll really like the new 4k editions. Great picture, great sound, great 80's horror! :D
Lost Boys is DTS-HD MA, which upmixed to DTS-X on mine and it sounded pretty good. Thin compared to current modern mixes, but better than it sounded before on BD. The video quality looks great. They cleaned it up a lot without going too far.

Fright Night has more CG than Lost Boys, but both had a lot of practical in them. I have not picked this one up yet, holding for a good deal like I got on Edge of Tomorrow.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Edge of Tomorrow is $14 on Amazon today (10/11) for Prime members. I had it in my cart from before and it showed the old price of $6 more than that. Search for it and it should come up with the sale price.
My favorite movie of all times. :D

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
Thanks for posting. I decided to get the 4K Edge of Tomorrow at that price.

The 5 disc Jurassic World set is $27.99 right now. I'm not a huge fan of the franchise, but for that price I decided to buy it.

I also picked up the Predator 4-movie collection for $29.99.

Its just about time to get the fireplace going and watch some movies!

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
The Fog 4k

Watched The Fog last night. Movie was directed by John Carpenter and released in 1980. Stars Jamie Lee Curtis and her mom Janet Leigh. Some others as well, but I'm not too familiar with the other actors. This is my first time watching it. There are so many older horror movies I never got to back in the day. I'm just now, finally getting caught up. haha!

PQ/SQ- Picture and sound are good. Good layer of grain. Which is to be expected from a low budget horror movie made in 1980. They did add Dolby Vision color grading which adds to the dark shots. I feel it was best used anytime the fog came rolling in and the dead pirate ghost's showed up. Near the end when Blake (The Captain) shows up in the church, his eyes glow bright red. The DV color grading made that red really pop.

For audio you have an ATMOS mix, 5.1 and restored 2.0 mono track to choose from. Dialogue was easy to hear and understand. This movie has similar soundtrack to Halloween and in typical Carpenter style is used a lot throughout the movie. I don't recall too many overhead effects. I can imagine fans of this movie will love the mono track. Overall, it was a decent sound mix. Those that have seen this film, will have to chime in on how the audio experience was back in the day on good ol VHS and possibly DVD.

Overall, I would give this movie a solid 7/10. It's not Carpenters best, but it's not bad either. Personally, I would choose Halloween over this. But I would have no issues re-watching this over the years.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I saw Top Gun Maverick again, but this time on the 4K Blu-Ray format, instead of web-streaming format.

The SQ is subjectively much better. It seems I can hear more overhead effects and I also don't have to crank up the volume at all. In contrast, I had to crank up the volume on the 4K streaming version by a lot.

Last edited:
}Fear_Inoculum{

}Fear_Inoculum{

Senior Audioholic
The Haunting of Hill House on Netflix. Thus far has been the best Atmos mix I've heard in the HT room. Especially episode 6 when there is a lighting storm.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
If you liked “The Haunting of Hill House” for the sound, check out “Midnight Mass.”

}Fear_Inoculum{

}Fear_Inoculum{

Senior Audioholic
If you liked “The Haunting of Hill House” for the sound, check out “Midnight Mass.”
I've watched it, but before I had my current setup. It is one of my favorite limited series ever. Simply amazing.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I loved "Midnight Mass" since I love Vampires (and Lycans). But no way in hell I'm watching Haunting Hill or anything about ghosts. Yikes. I'm scared, Scoob. :eek: :D

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I loved "Midnight Mass" since I love Vampires (and Lycans). But no way in hell I'm watching Haunting Hill or anything about ghosts. Yikes. I'm scared, Scoob. :eek: :D
Then you should stay away. Hill House is pretty tense to say the least.

}Fear_Inoculum{

}Fear_Inoculum{

Senior Audioholic
Then you should stay away. Hill House is pretty tense to say the least.
My wife actually screamed during one scene in episode.....8 I think. Yeah, even I'm on edge when we're watching it. Very tense.

The surround and Atmos effects in this show are top notch. I need to go back and watch Midnight Mass now, as I remember thinking at the time how much better it would be if I had the Atmos speakers installed.

Next up on the docket is The Haunting of Bly Manor. My wife does want a bit of a break between shows though, so probably won't start that one until end of November/early December.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
My wife actually screamed during one scene in episode.....8 I think. Yeah, even I'm on edge when we're watching it. Very tense.

The surround and Atmos effects in this show are top notch. I need to go back and watch Midnight Mass now, as I remember thinking at the time how much better it would be if I had the Atmos speakers installed.

Next up on the docket is The Haunting of Bly Manor. My wife does want a bit of a break between shows though, so probably won't start that one until end of November/early December.
I just finished Midnight Club, which is after Midnight Mass from the same team, combining actors and directors from all of the series. We both really enjoyed it. Hill House is the best one so far IMO and Midnight Club was better than Bly. I did not watch Midnight Mass yet, because I didn't know it was from the same people, will be checking it out. Midnight Club is heavy, but not quite as intense as Hill House.

Hill house is even MORE disturbing when you see the random hidden ghosts... There are various scenes where there is a ghost in the shot that is not "officially" part of the story, it is just there. There was one where nothing is really happening, just people talking in a living room and there is a person under the table just watching. When you see one, the show takes on an even more ominous tone than the already tense one it has.

I will also be watching Del Toro's Cabinet of Curiosities this week first though

Last edited:
panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord

Bly Manor is great and isn't nearly as tense.

Hill House got me a few times and that's no easy task. One of, if not the best, horror series I've ever seen. I'll have to watch it again after I get the theater back together.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Hill House got me a few times and that's no easy task. One of, if not the best, horror series I've ever seen. I'll have to watch it again after I get the theater back together.
Same. I watch a LOT of horror stuff and this one was still able to get me.

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
Watched The English on Amazon Prime. Solid 8/10 for me.

PQ and AQ were top notch. They clearly shot it with 4k or better cameras. No grain at all. Which for a western is a little odd, but I didn't mind it. For some it might be too slow, but the acting, directing, cinematography, writing was all top notch. It's only 6 episodes. So a very quick binge(able) show.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis