xboxweasel

xboxweasel

Full Audioholic
I know that I can transmit a 480i widescreen signal via a S-Video cable. But can I transmit a 480p widescreen signal too?

I'm running out of component video connections on my receiver and would like to know if I can switch my DVD player over to s-video and still get the progressive scan output. DVD players are not HD yet (unless you have one with upscaling).

What exactly are the 480i and 480p widescreen resolutions? 480i or 480p is 720x486. Do the widescreen version fall into the EDTV standard? Or is 480i widescreen still considered a SDTV signal?

xboxweasel

xboxweasel

Full Audioholic
That was super quick. Thanks.
Okay. Now I need a receiver with 6 component inputs. That gives me a few spares.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
xboxweasel said:
That was super quick. Thanks.
Okay. Now I need a receiver with 6 component inputs. That gives me a few spares.
You could get something like the Yamaha RX-V1600 that will upconvert and deinterlace and output a progressive signal over component or HDMI. That way you could output s-video from your dvd player and it will be output in progressive scan over comp. or HDMI. It has 3 component video in, and 2 HDMI in, and tons of s-video, lots of optical digital inputs, and a couple digital coax so you will be good to go. It's not an inexpensive receiver, but considering what all it can do it's worth it if you need all the inputs/outputs. I've found that the 1600 does a better job of deinterlacing than my dvd player, so I don't even turn progressive scan on in my dvd player, I just let the receiver take care of that.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I have a receiver w/3 component inputs and I just got a Zektor component video switch w/digital audio (coax/toslink) switch box.

Much cheaper than say, a Denon 5805, and it gives me the connectivity I need for my PS2, OTA HDTV, HD cable, and 2 DVD players.

That was about the best I could come up with that was both IR driven and included coax and optical digital connections.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis