46" - 50" recommendations

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Given my space constraints (L/R speakers) this is the max size I can squeeze. Going to be replacing a 46" Samsung that is starting to give me some problems.

is there a 'sweet spot' price wise with respect to features that I should be looking at ? Go with a unit from BJ's or stick with the likes of Best Buy, etc ?

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
What is the room like? What are your viewing conditions? What model of Samsung were you using and do you want an 'upgrade' or a step sideways?

What budget are you hoping to hit?

The cheap stuff isn't horrible, but it's a long way from greatness either. As a primary display, I tend to lean towards and recommend better units for people to purchase. I mean, this is the one that gets a critical eye.

While I would lean towards OLED, I'm not seeing ANY that are under 55" diagonal, so if it doesn't fit your location at 55", then it's not even an option.

From there, I lean mid-level or upwards from the major companies, which includes Vizio.

Samsung offers half a dozen around 50"...
https://www.samsung.com/us/televisions-home-theater/tvs/all-tvs/?diagonal_screen_size=49"+-+50"
So, I would get their 8000 series or better.

Sony similarly has a half dozen in that range. I would stick with the 800 or 900 series, leaning towards the nicer (pricier) model..
https://www.sony.com/electronics/tv/t/televisions?screensize=103-126-cm-41-50-in

Vizio has standardized more on the 55" size and doesn't offer their premium stuff at the size you are looking at. From them, I would only consider this...
https://www.vizio.com/tvs/m507g1.html

But, if you only have $400 to spend, then we aren't even talking the same language right now! :)

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
BMX, thanks for the reply. The room is 14' wide by 22' long, vaulted ceilings. TV / Entertainment components reside in one corner of the room. The room is well lit with a lot of ambient light during the day. I'm limited(with current configuration) to a max width of approx 48", thus the 49-50" diagonal TV.

Budget is something less than a grand.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
So, the Sony 55" televisions are 48 3/8" wide. That's something to keep in mind that in almost any larger family room like yours, the TV size really should be maximized. It's almost impossible to explain how there is no such thing as too big of a TV for most homes. At a 12' viewing distance, a 85" to 100" diagonal television would be a very comfortable size, and is still too far away to resolve 4K resolution on such a display.

So, I would go ahead and triple check the measurements and see if you can fit a 55" into the space.

With a $1,000 budget, that's going to get you into the better displays available. The Sony 900f series may be one of the best looking on the market for the money and is very bright with near top shelf quality for a LCD display.

LG does have their OLED displays, which do look better, that are 48.3" wide, but the cost on them looks to be out of budget, and their brightness may not be ideal for daytime use.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
I dbl checked my measurements, exactly 48" edge to edge L/R speakers. I see Sony offers a 49" in the 900f series, gotta go to BB and check it out. FWIW the way the room is configured my distance from my 'Archie Bunker' chair to the screen is less than 10' so a 49" I think would be just fine.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
If you want cheap pretty reliable decent picture best buy insignia is ok. I have had a 39 for years and it is still trouble free.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
If you want cheap pretty reliable decent picture best buy insignia is ok. I have had a 39 for years and it is still trouble free.
LOL David, flat screens weren't even thought of 39 years ago !

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
I think they are made by various companies. I also have a 32 inch which I've owned for 5 years or so. My sister and brother in law have a couple of 50 inch with no problems for over 5 years.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I dbl checked my measurements, exactly 48" edge to edge L/R speakers. I see Sony offers a 49" in the 900f series, gotta go to BB and check it out. FWIW the way the room is configured my distance from my 'Archie Bunker' chair to the screen is less than 10' so a 49" I think would be just fine.
Just so you're aware: To visibly see the resolution that 4K offers, you must be sitting closer than 1.5x the screen width. So, with eyes to screen at 9' away, you would need a TV 6' wide just to visibly see a resolution jump from 1080p to 4K.

Movie theaters tend to put the center seats at about 1.5x screen width. Many people like sitting a bit closer than 1.5x screen width.

So, using that, your screen would be very comfortable at 72" wide, which is 83" diagonal.

At 10', a 65"+ television is not at all uncommon and something most people get used to in a couple of hours. Yes, I know that sounds crazy.

Maximize the size which fits into your space. A shame you don't have that extra half inch to get a 55" display, but definitely go for the absolute largest which fits your available space.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Just so you're aware: To visibly see the resolution that 4K offers, you must be sitting closer than 1.5x the screen width. So, with eyes to screen at 9' away, you would need a TV 6' wide just to visibly see a resolution jump from 1080p to 4K.

Movie theaters tend to put the center seats at about 1.5x screen width. Many people like sitting a bit closer than 1.5x screen width.

So, using that, your screen would be very comfortable at 72" wide, which is 83" diagonal.

At 10', a 65"+ television is not at all uncommon and something most people get used to in a couple of hours. Yes, I know that sounds crazy.

Maximize the size which fits into your space. A shame you don't have that extra half inch to get a 55" display, but definitely go for the absolute largest which fits your available space.
BMX, thanks for all the good suggestions ! :)

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
I have a Toshiba smart 49 in my living room and I got a heck of a deal on it at Best Buy. Moved my 39 Insignia into the bedroom so it was basically a 2 for 1 upgrade. So far no issues with either tv.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
David, I hope to get to BB this week and check things out
You can see what they have on sale on BB.com. Sometimes they even have demos and open boxes available. Also Wal-Mart also usually has some sale TVs listed on their website. Good Luck!

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I think they are made by various companies. I also have a 32 inch which I've owned for 5 years or so. My sister and brother in law have a couple of 50 inch with no problems for over 5 years.
Insignia is just like the other second and third tier brands. They source their panels from pretty much everyone, but they can be "older" panels (not an issue, but just not bleeding edge) to keep costs down. Back in the day this was an issue, but now, those cheapo TVs are actually pretty good. Warranty is the biggest thing with them, but most if not all manufacturers only have a year anyway.

If it were me, I'd go with the size I need and get the TV with the best panel. That means best black levels along with high brightness. Whichever one meets that, buy it.

Don't get a TV based on "smart" features that the manufacturer will most likely stop supporting at some point. An external STB is better simply because they have a longer life cycle or can easily be replaced.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis