$400 Towers or Bookshelves

funked up

funked up

Audioholic
My brother is looking at getting some speakers to start his home theater. His budget is about $400, maybe a tad more if neccessary. I told him to start with a decent pair of front speakers and then build from there. He already has a 50" DLP and a decent yamaha reciever. He told me he wants something thats going to be crisp and clear, not something that will be loud and muddled, which is what he was now. I told him to look at the b-stock x-sls and x-mtm at AV123. Any other suggestions that I should throw his way? Thanks for any input.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Those would be my same recommendations, so I think you are barking up the right tree with him.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
Definitely bookshelves for that price range, and stress the importance of adding a high quality subwoofer to the system.

Gimpy Ric

Gimpy Ric

Definitely bookshelves for that price range, and stress the importance of adding a high quality subwoofer to the system.
Totally agree. You'll get more speaker for that budget in a bookshelf and some stands. Example:

You can never have too much subwoofer :D

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
While I do think you can get a good pair of bookshelf speakers for that price, the X-MTMs and X-SLS from AV123 aren't exactly going to be bad for the money.

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
My brother is looking at getting some speakers to start his home theater. His budget is about $400, maybe a tad more if neccessary. I told him to start with a decent pair of front speakers and then build from there. He already has a 50" DLP and a decent yamaha reciever. He told me he wants something thats going to be crisp and clear, not something that will be loud and muddled, which is what he was now. I told him to look at the b-stock x-sls and x-mtm at AV123. Any other suggestions that I should throw his way? Thanks for any input.
A fare more resolving/lower resonance option, with higher output ability and over all better response, would be to use the Yamaha receivers internal crossover, set main speakers to small, crossover to 80Hz, and use a pair of Behringer B2030P 2 way speakers on stands plus 2 x 10" Dayton powered subwoofers. Each sub is to be placed within 3-4' of each main speaker. This is a requirement for music sound quality as if you seperate the drivers much father than 1/2 wavelength from each other, related to crossover point, the sound source no longer acts like an ideal single emitter. With a single sub placed one side of room, there is no way to get this integration ideal on both channels, but two subs will allow it. The B2030P will have far less resonance than the other speakers you are thinking of, and it's off axis response will be far superior; an important qualification of sound quality. Don't let the low price of the Behringers fool you. I have measured/analyzed these in depth and coorelated the measurements to the relevant perceptual research. There is no other speaker for that price that can compare to the Behringers. The only thing the AV123 option is going to benefit over the Behringers is cosmetics. They Behringers are plain Jane utility speakers(pro audio monitors). No pretty paint job or beautiful veneer work.

-Chris

Gimpy Ric

Gimpy Ric

A fare more resolving/lower resonance option, with higher output ability and over all better response, would be to use the Yamaha receivers internal crossover, set main speakers to small, crossover to 80Hz, and use a pair of Behringer B2030P 2 way speakers on stands plus 2 x 10" Dayton powered subwoofers. Each sub is to be placed within 3-4' of each main speaker. This is a requirement for music sound quality as if you seperate the drivers much father than 1/2 wavelength from each other, related to crossover point, the sound source no longer acts like an ideal single emitter. With a single sub placed one side of room, there is no way to get this integration ideal on both channels, but two subs will allow it. The B2030P will have far less resonance than the other speakers you are thinking of, and it's off axis response will be far superior; an important qualification of sound quality. Don't let the low price of the Behringers fool you. I have measured/analyzed these in depth and coorelated the measurements to the relevant perceptual research. There is no other speaker for that price that can compare to the Behringers. The only thing the AV123 option is going to benefit over the Behringers is cosmetics. They Behringers are plain Jane utility speakers(pro audio monitors). No pretty paint job or beautiful veneer work.

-Chris
Here are the Behringers Chris is talking about:

Only $149.00 a pair! Look Here

Ric

Last edited:
G

gus6464

Audioholic Samurai
Totally agree. You'll get more speaker for that budget in a bookshelf and some stands. Example:

You can never have too much subwoofer :D
Whoa nice stacked PB13's. What speakers are those?

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
Yeah... I hate you for having dual ultras, while I only have a measly 20-39PC+

Gimpy Ric

Gimpy Ric

Don't hate me, I only have one Ultra, that picture belongs to croseiv! Thats his system at his house. You'll have to ask him what his mains are.

Ric

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
Don't hate me, I only have one Ultra, that picture belongs to croseiv! Thats his system at his house. You'll have to ask him what his mains are.

Ric
I can still hate you since you have an ultra, and I have a plus! :p

funked up

funked up

Audioholic
I think I am going to push him towards the x-mtm. If he goes with bookshelf speakers then adding a sub is def neccesary, but right now he lives in an apartment and has some neighboors that like to complain about noise, so adding a sub prob isn't a good idea at this point. the x-mtm will sound great, and give him a bit of bass at the same time, this way his system won't be completely lacking in bass.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis