4 subs or 1 high end sub? Making a 7.?.4 atmos

• Thread starter carlobenavidesahavia
  • Start date
C

carlobenavidesahavia

Enthusiast
My room is not a dedicated home theater room it is a living room and workout place. So I was thinking 4 below 400usd subs like the PL-200, F12 or PSW505 would be better plus I can buy them 2 at a time the other sub I am looking at is the SVS-PB2000 but will be able to buy probably 1 every few months.... PS is this the right sub group for this question?

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
How big is the room? I might split the difference and go with 2 subs that aren’t necessarily Rythmik fv18’s but also not 4 crappy ones either. I actually have a 505 somewhere in my house. For the money, and I stress that, for the money, it’s OK. For the inexperienced, it seems to have a lot of bass, but once you experience linear clean smooth bass, it’s a fart box. When the Polk is pushed, it makes objectionable noises, and really isn’t great and actually more of a distraction. It also falls off a cliff at about 25hz.
If the room is small, the rsl speedwoofer is 400 bucks and 4 of them might be great. The Dayton sub1200 is also a decent budget model.
For the best value imo, HSU wins.

Slightly over your listed budget, but this pair would be better than 20 psw505’s, as they’d never be able to match the quality and control of bass even if all 20 could go louder.

C

carlobenavidesahavia

Enthusiast
I just recently saw the Dayton Audio Sub-1500 is that good too? I can probably buy 2 at a time The RSL 1 every 4 months... I just want to spend round 500-600 every few months till I complete it. What would you say is a small space what floor area? The space is small but it has an open side to a stairway leading to the second floor that's why I was thinking of 4 so I can put one by the stairs

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Low frequencies in an enclosed space are strange beasts. They are very large/long wavelengths, and because of the way they bounce off of boundaries, are considered Omni-Directional. Because of these properties, you have to consider the volume of the space, not linear distance. ;)
To a certain extent, placement options can override large open space (in the form of open floor-plan architecture). You can pressurize the area near you without pressurizing, say, an 8000’3 great-room in its entirety. That said, the specs and performance of the subs will still need to match up somewhat with the job you are asking them to do.

C

carlobenavidesahavia

Enthusiast
Ok I will get the total dimensions of the room once my laser measure arrives.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
How big is the room? I might split the difference and go with 2 subs that aren’t necessarily Rythmik fv18’s but also not 4 crappy ones either. I actually have a 505 somewhere in my house. For the money, and I stress that, for the money, it’s OK. For the inexperienced, it seems to have a lot of bass, but once you experience linear clean smooth bass, it’s a fart box. When the Polk is pushed, it makes objectionable noises, and really isn’t great and actually more of a distraction. It also falls off a cliff at about 25hz.
If the room is small, the rsl speedwoofer is 400 bucks and 4 of them might be great. The Dayton sub1200 is also a decent budget model.

Slightly over your listed budget, but this pair would be better than 20 psw505’s, as they’d never be able to match the quality and control of bass even if all 20 could go louder.
Wow look nice cheap subs can never match high end ones .
Which ones of these brands do buy one get one bogo ? free , on Black Friday ??

Reptilians invading in year 2025
Tesla spoken to them

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord

That was gonna be my suggestion too. Get a pair of good subwoofers.

C

carlobenavidesahavia

Enthusiast

Ok guys my measuring tape is finally here the dimensions are length 10-10 feet, width 8-9 feet, height 7-8 feet.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Check with ADTG he has 7 RBH subs.
What’s a rbh any model number? Or pics what do they cost each . Can always add more later . Unless your getting package deals ? I’ve never had rythymics

Reptilians invading in year 2025
Tesla spoken to them

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
My room is not a dedicated home theater room it is a living room and workout place. So I was thinking 4 below 400usd subs like the PL-200, F12 or PSW505 would be better plus I can buy them 2 at a time the other sub I am looking at is the SVS-PB2000 but will be able to buy probably 1 every few months.... PS is this the right sub group for this question?

To even entertain the idea of 4 subs, the room has to be fairly large I assume.

I would start there, get some measurements to the room and adjacent space that it's open to.

I have 2800 cu ft adjacent to 5000 cu ft. I bought two of these;

I don't want for bass at all.

One big one vs multiple smaller subs...I could've gotten one of the bigger brother subs, it was rated to handle over 3000 cu ft, but unless you have unlimited placement options...the sales guy said, you're most likely going to have great bass in part of the room and probably not so great bass in other parts and many people just crank the sub up in an effort to cover up the dead areas, but they are still dead relative so it's not the best solution.

C

carlobenavidesahavia

Enthusiast
To even entertain the idea of 4 subs, the room has to be fairly large I assume.

I would start there, get some measurements to the room and adjacent space that it's open to.

I have 2800 cu ft adjacent to 5000 cu ft. I bought two of these;

I don't want for bass at all.

One big one vs multiple smaller subs...I could've gotten one of the bigger brother subs, it was rated to handle over 3000 cu ft, but unless you have unlimited placement options...the sales guy said, you're most likely going to have great bass in part of the room and probably not so great bass in other parts and many people just crank the sub up in an effort to cover up the dead areas, but they are still dead relative so it's not the best solution.
Here's the measurements.

Ok guys my measuring tape is finally here the dimensions are length 10-10 feet, width 8-9 feet, height 7-8 feet.

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
Here's the measurements.

By my calculations roughly 800 cu ft...which is not terribly large. One VTF3 mk5 should suit you as long as you have some wiggle room on placement...you can always add another if you think there is a need.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Here's the measurements.

I didn't see if this was mentioned previously, but is OP's room closed off, or open to other areas?

C

carlobenavidesahavia

Enthusiast
I didn't see if this was mentioned previously, but is OP's room closed off, or open to other areas?
It's a closed of room this particular one I am picking between the living room and this small room. Which I think would be better because I am planning on adding a projector now. Maybe an Epson 5040ub. Plus a 100" 16:9 screen soundoroof everything and blackout.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis