4 sub config + 4 extra ceiling subs to cancel height modes (and tangential, oblique modes)???

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
Whether or not to absorb or diffuse first reflections is a matter of the time of arrival. In my case, my speakers are fairly close the the left and right walls. Impulse response measurements show that the reflections from the side walls are delayed by only 2ms, which is short enough and loud enough to cause the haas effect to break down. Without absorption, stereo imaging is smeared and incoherent, with absorption it sounds so much better. Contrary to popular belief, toole has never stated that early reflections are always ideal and should be left untreated. It really depends on the room and purpose of the setup. If the direct sound is significantly louder than the reflected sound, and the reflected sound is sufficiently delayed, absorption may not be needed.

I currently use Auralex 2” wedgies for HF reflection absorption. They’re effective down to about 500hz, and they actually work better than something like 2” rigid fiberglass. A steep angle of incidence, as is often seen with side wall/ceiling reflections is a problem with flat absorbers in small rooms. The multiple angles of the wedge design of the Auralex solves this problem. For problems below 500hz, I just use eq. Bass traps can certainly help, but the size required or distance from the wall must be 1/4 wavelength of the lowest frequency one is trying to absorb. Even at 50hz, this is about 5 feet. Multiple, carefully placed subs and eq is more practical.
Agreed, I use a panel absorber at one of my first reflections due to a window being located there. No, Toole did not say 'always', nor did I. The insulated cement walls will absorb high frequencies, but their mass, combined with being parallel are going to create problems with bass. Which is why I positioned the subs at 1/3 intervals on those two walls.

I'm sorry your speakers are being positioned that close to side walls, but the OP has an entirely different situation to deal with. There is no reason to assume that first reflections should be absorbed.

1131 fps / 500hz = 2.2 feet wavelength - the product I recommended is filled with absorption, and is 1/4 wavelength thick, why are you recommending 2" absorption? Steep angles of incidence might be an issue if we weren't very carefully placing them, but 2" absorption, of any shape, will do nothing but trim treble levels.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis