4 speakers to 1 volume control

J

jkp416

Audiophyte
How do I wire rough wire 1 volume control (a Russound ALTx) to 4 speakers in one room?

I have 14/4 wire to go from the receiver to the volume control and then 16/2 wire to go from the volume control to the speakers.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
It needs to be able to match the impedance. The other way is to wire them in series if they're 4 Ohm speakers or parallel if they're 8 Ohm, the amp/volume control can handle it and the speakers are far from the amplifier (added resistance in the speaker wire).

You mean a total of 4 speakers or 4 speakers/channel?

J

jkp416

Audiophyte
I think we are going with the Polk LC80i's - it is for our large kitchen. We will have 4 speakers throughout with one volume control on the wall. I mean 4 speakers total.

Coming into the volume control I'll have the 4 conductor wire and then going out of the volume control I'll have the 2 conductor wire going to 1 of the left speakers and then the 2 conductor wire going to 1 of the right speakers. I don't understand how to wire the 2nd left speaker and the 2nd right speaker.

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
Here is a link to a page that explains how you would wire in parallel or series. You need to check the rating of the volume control to see if it can handle the load of 4 speakers.

http://www.termpro.com/articles/spkrz.html

How far away is the amp and source components?

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
Here is a link to the manual:

http://www.russound.com/pdf/MANUALS/ALTx manual.pdf

Look at page 4 & 5 and it will help you choose the jumper settings for the control. The manual also suggests that you use one control for each pair of speakers so I don't think this is recommended by Russound. The max load for the control is 4ohms.

J

jkp416

Audiophyte
I was wrong - we are going with the Polk RCi60 speakers. They have an impedence of 8 ohms. We have not purchased the amplifier yet (the house is under major renovation).

Thank you for the link to the manual. Are there volume controls available that allow for the control of 4 speakers? What brand would you suggest? I am planning on doing the rough wiring tomorrow (even if I don't have the volume control at that time).

The distance between the future amp and the volume control is about 40' to 45'.

Thank you!

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis