4 speakers for upgrade debate?

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
What do you guys think or possibly Shady of the Ascend acoustics CMT-340s? They have been on my radar for a few years now. Are the Sierra 1s that much better that it justifies the cost difference? I could definitely build a system around the CMT-340s.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
What do you guys think or possibly Shady of the Ascend acoustics CMT-340s? They have been on my radar for a few years now. Are the Sierra 1s that much better that it justifies the cost difference? I could definitely build a system around the CMT-340s.

The CMT-340 doesn't boast the best response. Unless you need the extra headroom, I definitely think the Sierra-1 is worth the extra cash. If you want an MTM system, I would look at the RSL CG25 or the Monolith THX-365 or the Outlaw LCRv2.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
The CMT-340 doesn't boast the best response. Unless you need the extra headroom, I definitely think the Sierra-1 is worth the extra cash. If you want an MTM system, I would look at the RSL CG25 or the Monolith THX-365 or the Outlaw LCRv2.
I know you'd have an answer. I was just curious about the CMT-340s.
The RSL CG5 seem to be highly regarded.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
So since I have time before i purchase this home theater or rebuild I'm looking at many speakers in my price range.
What do you guys think of Emotiva speakers and in particular the T1+ with the C2+ center. The T1+ I'm tempted to just order. I mean 699 for the pair is a pretty good price for a 3 way speaker. Yeah they ain't pretty but that makes them more appealing to me, hopefully that means they went for sound quality over beauty and that is a great thing. The only issue I have is if I send them back you pay shipping back.
I'm pretty much in the RSL CG5 mode of what I want but it's smart I think you take a look at everything. Why not check out towers and possibly go that route again?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
So since I have time before i purchase this home theater or rebuild I'm looking at many speakers in my price range.
What do you guys think of Emotiva speakers and in particular the T1+ with the C2+ center. The T1+ I'm tempted to just order. I mean 699 for the pair is a pretty good price for a 3 way speaker. Yeah they ain't pretty but that makes them more appealing to me, hopefully that means they went for sound quality over beauty and that is a great thing. The only issue I have is if I send them back you pay shipping back.
I'm pretty much in the RSL CG5 mode of what I want but it's smart I think you take a look at everything. Why not check out towers and possibly go that route again?

I think I'd want the CG5 over Emotiva. Personally I think the Emos look kinda cool, but I've read mixed reviews so I'd want to hear them first.

Towers are cool and all, but for the same money you can get better quality in a bookshelf and you already have great subwoofage.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
I think I'd want the CG5 over Emotiva. Personally I think the Emos look kinda cool, but I've read mixed reviews so I'd want to hear them first.

Towers are cool and all, but for the same money you can get better quality in a bookshelf and you already have great subwoofage.
This all true. I'm kinda intrigued by the 3 way design and folded ribbon tweeter.. The RSL CG5s are much easier on the eyes too.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Your last post sent me to the RSL site again for another look-see. Are the CG25s not a consideration as well? They fall kinda in between tower and stand mount and look pretty damned sharp. 3 of those across the front for $1200 would work really nice and you can move your current ones to the sides for surround speakers. I think that'd be a pretty solid upgrade path for you.

Unless... you just have an itch to try something new. In which case I think Ultra books or the Prime Pinnacle towers would be pretty nice too. The beauty with going that route is you might get a little love from SVS since you're a returning customer, AND... you can try them out first and send them back if you don't like them! I think it'd be fun to order up a pair of both and try 'em out!

Seriously, put that customer bill of rights to work for you. Keep the pair you like better, or send them both back if you're not sufficiently impressed. In fact, while you're at it order up a pair of CG5s and CG25s too! RSL has a very similar return policy, right? You can have shootout between 4 different speakers right in your room... FOR FREE! You'd get to try towers, books and something in between. That would scratch some itches and you can cross a few speakers off your list at the same time. Not to mention I'll bet I'm not the only one curious to see what you like best out of the bunch. They're all great speakers so it's gonna come down to the little details and you'll have some fun doing it too.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Your last post sent me to the RSL site again for another look-see. Are the CG25s not a consideration as well? They fall kinda in between tower and stand mount and look pretty damned sharp. 3 of those across the front for $1200 would work really nice and you can move your current ones to the sides for surround speakers. I think that'd be a pretty solid upgrade path for you.

Unless... you just have an itch to try something new. In which case I think Ultra books or the Prime Pinnacle towers would be pretty nice too. The beauty with going that route is you might get a little love from SVS since you're a returning customer, AND... you can try them out first and send them back if you don't like them! I think it'd be fun to order up a pair of both and try 'em out!

Seriously, put that customer bill of rights to work for you. Keep the pair you like better, or send them both back if you're not sufficiently impressed. In fact, while you're at it order up a pair of CG5s and CG25s too! RSL has a very similar return policy, right? You can have shootout between 4 different speakers right in your room... FOR FREE! That would scratch some itches and you can cross a few speakers off your list at the same time. Not to mention I'll bet I'm not the only one curious to see what you like best out of the bunch. They're all great speakers so it's gonna come down to the little details and you'll have some fun doing it too.
My initial thought was 3 CG25s but Shady says the CG5 actually measures better. Joe from RSL who is super honest said CG5 across the front would probably give the best performance and be the most tonal match of them. I think though with my setup I will have to do a CG25 for a center. I just don't have a ton of room under the TV like I used to. I could try some things though to make the CG5 center work.
I really should order a pair of each and just have at it. Have a shoot out of my own. Take a vacation week and literally veg out putting them all to the test.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Also, the Pinnacles are 3 way design. The folded ribbon tweets are something different, yes, but that doesn't necessarily mean better. I did take a look at the T1. I can't remember the details, but I recall there were enough shortcomings overall for me to take the them off my wish list.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
My initial thought was 3 CG25s but Shady says the CG5 actually measures better. Joe from RSL who is super honest said CG5 across the front would probably give the best performance and be the most tonal match of them. I think though with my setup I will have to do a CG25 for a center. I just don't have a ton of room under the TV like I used to. I could try some things though to make the CG5 center work.
I really should order a pair of each and just have at it. Have a shoot out of my own. Take a vacation week and literally veg out putting them all to the test.

Gotcha. I trust Shady's impressions as he's guided me some on my journey and hasn't led me wrong. Plus you can't beat a recommendation from an owner who has something to gain by getting you to spend more.

A pair of CG5s, Ultra books and the Pinnacles for a 3 way shootout would still be fun. Plus you could still toss the CG25s in the mix risk free too if you really want to.

Man, if I lived near you I'd be right up your ass to order all of 'em then invite myself over to join in the shootout. That'd be fun!

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Also, the Pinnacles are 3 way design. The folded ribbon tweets are something different, yes, but that doesn't necessarily mean better. I did take a look at the T1. I can't remember the details, but I recall there were enough shortcomings overall for me to take the them off my wish list.
Pinnacles I would ABSOLUTELY love but too much for me right now. I have wanted them since before they were even launched. I do like SVS a lot. They really are a great company, they seem to do things right.
I was told by a competitor owner that SVS is completely legit. Everything they publish on their speakers is honest. That really surprised me coming from a competitor.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Pinnacles I would ABSOLUTELY love but too much for me right now. I have wanted them since before they were even launched. I do like SVS a lot. They really are a great company, they seem to do things right.
I was told by a competitor owner that SVS is completely legit. Everything they publish on their speakers is honest. That really surprised me coming from a competitor.

If you really want towers I think it would be worth it to spend a little more for the Pinnacles and go phantom mode for a while until you can get the Ultra center. That's if you really want a 3 way tower speaker. I believe you can get 99% of the way there with the Ultra books tho, since you have capable subwoofage. I would consider the Emo towers a downgrade from the Ultra series so between those 2 the Ultra books win.

You can try 'em both for free and decide for yourself pretty easy tho... order 'em up and if the towers really knock your socks off then you have incentive to hold off on a center for a bit. I've always been music first so to me the main speakers trump the center channel. I've gone without to get better quality mains until I could afford the proper center. Phantom mode works really well in my room unless I get way off axis. Like to the point that my viewing angle would suck just as bad.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
I just made it worse, huh?

:p
Nah, it's all good. I like the back an forth and suggestions. If the Ultra bookshelf is 99%, of the Pinnacle I'd rather go bookshelf then and stay small. Why have giant speakers of it's not needed.
It's really come down to these two, RSL CG5 and SVS Ultra bookshelf. Probably splitting hairs between the two. They both intrigue the hell out of me.
Decisions, decisions....

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
You can try 'em both for free and decide for yourself pretty easy tho... order 'em up and if the towers really knock your socks off then you have incentive to hold off on a center for a bit.
I mean, think about it. Right now you're on the fence, not sure if a 3 way would really be enough of an improvement to justify the money, or is SVS better? Is it a lateral move..?

Take advantage of the return policies and all those questions will be answered, even if you end up sending them all back!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Nah, it's all good. I like the back an forth and suggestions. If the Ultra bookshelf is 99%, of the Pinnacle I'd rather go bookshelf then and stay small. Why have giant speakers of it's not needed.
It's really come down to these two, RSL CG5 and SVS Ultra bookshelf. Probably splitting hairs between the two. They both intrigue the hell out of me.
Decisions, decisions....

I know I'm a broken record here, but there's one way to find out for sure, and both companies make it risk free.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Oh man, I've been getting the itch lately again too and I think I might be projecting on you a little bit... lol.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Oh man, I've been getting the itch lately again too and I think I might be projecting on you a little bit... lol.
Itchy GIFs | Tenor

You sure Ms. Pogre didn't slip some itching powder into your shirt? :p
Or is it just that RBH thing that's got you all lathered up? ;)

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
And just what are you itching for as you have some incredible audio equipment? Crazy subs from RBH.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis