S

sab30

Audioholic Intern
I am in the process of purchasing a new AV receiver (Yamaha HT-5790) and see it is rated as 8 ohms the speakers I am going to purchase (Iperion Intimus) are also 8 ohms except for the fronts list as 4 ohm. Is that normal and is it okay ?? I dont quite understand that.

D

DECIBEL_KING

Enthusiast
4 OHM speakers ...

It is best to add a 2 channel 4 ohm amp. This will be costly so it may not be a good solution for you. You should be ok with the receiver, if you notice that the receiver is getting too hot or shuts down then its best to get a separate amp to run the speakers.

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

I wouldn't worry much about it, sab30- Aperion cites their minimum impedance as 4 ohms, but claims their nominal impedance is 6-8 ohms. No speaker always presents an 8 ohm load, and many speakers will dip down to 4-5 ohms at certain frequencies (of course, some are very low impedance loads, but that doesn't apply here).

Aperion manufacturers mainstream-sytle HT speakers, and they likely they're mindful of the fact that most of their models will be driven by common HT recievers. I seriously doubt they'll present to tough a load for your new Yamaha HT-5790. When in doubt, you could call Aperion toll-free at 1-866-APERION (273-7466). And no, I don't work for 'em, I just copied & pasted the # from their website. :p

L

Leprkon

Audioholic General
DECIBEL_KING said:
It is best to add a 2 channel 4 ohm amp. This will be costly so it may not be a good solution for you. You should be ok with the receiver, if you notice that the receiver is getting too hot or shuts down then its best to get a separate amp to run the speakers.
costly is a relative term.. onecall.com has the ATI AT1502 (150 w x 2 channels at 8 ohms, 225 x 2 at 4 ohms currently on sale for $ 399).

I'm giving it a shot, and it should be here Wednesday. :)

http://www.onecall.com/PMN_2632.htm?BCPID=825

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis