-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
... I would also recommend the use of a $20 quiet infinity fan.
The reality is, not a lot of HT users have the kind of budget and knowledge that you have, so I don't think we should shy way from suggesting AVRs to a lot of users on a budget and may not have the real estates for more multiple boxes options.
I agree - and folks should look hard at the Fan option. It's cheap insurance. Heat is the most obvious killer of AVRs. I have them on the AVR in my Atmos system, even though I rarely drive it that hard.

Six Sigma training advises that the more opportunities for failure that exist, the less reliable a system is inherently. While it seems that separates would be more reliable, I suspect there are more components collectively inside all of these separates (for example each one has it's own power supply), more soldered connections to fail, air passageways to block, interconnect cables, etc., Of course the design and build quality of separates may give them an advantage, but typically they cost a lot more than the average (or most audiophile) consumers are willing to pay.

This is not to mention the increased complexity separates add, which causes folks to avoid them altogether. Even today's AVRs with Atmos and up to 13 speakers, are daunting for most folks. Even though they can sound great when properly set up, most consumers do not buy even AVRs with great abandon. The market for Home Theater and high end Audio has shrunk dramatically in the 2000s. The more complex it becomes, it scares off more people.

Just my 2 cents...

Last edited:
Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Yes, and I'd like to bi-amp these speakers.
You will need two RCA Y-adapters connected to the Pre-Out Front jacks to connect two amps for stereo listening. Two amps from Crown or Outlaw perhaps but as mentioned above make sure they are rated down to 2 ohms for the woofer connections. A 5-channel home theatre amp would work as well, leaving one channel as a spare, but the Crown amps have a fairly low profile and two Crowns will not be taller than say a 5-channel Monolith.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
While it seems that separates would be more reliable, I suspect there are more components collectively inside all of these separates (for example each one has it's own power supply), more soldered connections to fail, air passageways to block, interconnect cables, etc., Of course the design and build quality of separates may give them an advantage, but typically they cost a lot more than the average (or most audiophile) consumers are willing to pay.
Great points, anyone can do a search and will find no shortages of bug reports by owners of AV preamp/processors. Units with bugs include those from Emotiva, Anthem, Arcam and even Monolith's.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Great points, anyone can do a search and will find no shortages of bug reports by owners of AV preamp/processors. Units with bugs include those from Emotiva, Anthem, Arcam and even Monolith's.
...even Marantz and Yamaha

MaxInValrico

MaxInValrico

Senior Audioholic
Yes, and I'd like to bi-amp these speakers.
As others have already stated, if you have pre-outs you can hook up an external amplifier to drive your speakers. Don't necessarily agree with the need to bi-amp of you choose a decent enough amp.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
The PSB Stratus Goldi require a stout amplifier to drive them loud As TLS pointed out with the impedance graphs. They were one of the more difficult speaker loads out there when they were released and PSB's most demanding speaker ever. I would get 2 class D amps from Outlaw.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
One more proof that you cannot trust what several loudspeaker manufacturers publish for their speakers. PSB did specify a minimum value of 4 ohms and that mislead me for the above post of mine.

I agree with TLS Guy in that the OP would have a real advantage with external amplification, taking into account that the impedance goes down to below 3 ohms at around 100 Hz combined with a -60° phase angle at around 50 Hz. I suspect that there is a strong possibility that the AVR might go into protection mode when the Stratus Golds are driven to some peak SPL.
Ive not seen ANY speaker manufacturer post true impedance values (magnitude + phase) nor have I seen ANY manufacturer publish true impedance curves across the audio spectrum. PSB publishes more specs than most manufacturers in this case rated their speakers as 4ohms (worst case) instead of looking at where the impedance lies most of the time or average of the impedance.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
The PSB Stratus Goldi require a stout amplifier to drive them loud As TLS pointed out with the impedance graphs. They were one of the more difficult speaker loads out there when they were released and PSB's most demanding speaker ever. I would get 2 class D amps from Outlaw.
I am not aware of an Outlaw class D amp, is it a brand new model?

Too bad the OP seems to have disappear, I would be curious to know if he had tried an online calculator figure out his estimate/approx. maximum power requirement before spending money on an ext amp. We don't know his question that is "can i use this receiver as a preamp and add 2 amps to power the pbs 4 ohm speakers? "

If he sits 10 ft, and never had the need to set the volume higher than -15, or never listen to 10 dB below reference level (just for example) then the answer would be a solid yes, given that the PSB Gold did not dip below 2.5 ohms.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I am not aware of an Outlaw class D amp, is it a brand new model?

Too bad the OP seems to have disappear, I would be curious to know if he had tried an online calculator figure out his estimate/approx. maximum power requirement before spending money on an ext amp. We don't know his question that is "can i use this receiver as a preamp and add 2 amps to power the pbs 4 ohm speakers? "

If he sits 10 ft, and never had the need to set the volume higher than -15, or never listen to 10 dB below reference level (just for example) then the answer would be a solid yes, given that the PSB Gold did not dip below 2.5 ohms.
I was referring to Outlaw's 2200 monoblock which I just looked up and found out to be discontinued. I based my recommendations for external amplification on the premise that these are big speakers and as such assumed to be put into a larger room where more volume is needed. These are difficult speakers to drive.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I was referring to Outlaw's 2200 monoblock which I just looked up and found out to be discontinued. I based my recommendations for external amplification on the premise that these are big speakers and as such assumed to be put into a larger room where more volume is needed. These are difficult speakers to drive.
Well, there is the 2220 now, and currently looks like they have discounts for multiples again. Believe its class G, tho....

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Well, there is the 2220 now, and currently looks like they have discounts for multiples again. Believe its class G, tho....
Class G seems to be functioning well on the 2200. I assume it would be the same with the newer 2220:

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Class G seems to be functioning well on the 2200. I assume it would be the same with the newer 2220:

I guess memory didnt serve me that well on the 2200. :p

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis