4 core 16 gauge cable

D

dropbear

Audioholic Intern
Hi all. Just wondering what I should do / consider here.

I presently have my system wired with Liberty 4 core 16 gauge stranded copper cable; each core has its own plastic sheath wrapped inside a another sheath . I twine 2 of the cores at each end so I have the +/- for the speaker terminals. By doing this what is the effective gauge that the amp/speaker sees?

Would upgrading to a 2 core heavier gauge cable be more beneficial - say 12 gauge to each terminal?

Cheers
John

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
dropbear said:
Hi all. Just wondering what I should do / consider here.

I presently have my system wired with Liberty 4 core 16 gauge stranded copper cable; each core has its own plastic sheath wrapped inside a another sheath . I twine 2 of the cores at each end so I have the +/- for the speaker terminals. By doing this what is the effective gauge that the amp/speaker sees?

Would upgrading to a 2 core heavier gauge cable be more beneficial - say 12 gauge to each terminal?

Cheers
John

If you are using 2 cables per post, That is what I gathered from your explanation, then you have a 13ga wire. Doubling up witht he same size is a change of 3 gauges.
No added benifit from what you have, plus you have the cost sunk.

D

dropbear

Audioholic Intern
Just to clarify and to be sure :D . Yes, I use 2 of the 4 cores per speaker post so essentially what you are saying is that I am getting around 13ga per speaker post connection due to the twining of twp 16 gauge cable . Thanks for the heads up on how to determine the gauge size too :p

Francious70

Francious70

Senior Audioholic
So the big cable is 4 strands of 16 gauge wire?? Or is it 4 wires that total to 16 gauge??

Paul

D

dropbear

Audioholic Intern
Francious70 - no, the 'cable' is made up of 4 cores which is of 16 gauge for each core which is made up of stranded wire. The actual count of the stranded wire I am not sure of? Hope this clarifies?

Francious70

Francious70

Senior Audioholic
Gotcha. Go with mtry's instructions above then.

Paul

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis