3D pack projector etc advice needed

A

arda91

Audiophyte
Hey,
As I'm very fond of 3D I've decided to finally buy a 3D system for viewing movies. The projector I have chosen is the Epson EH-TW9000 (which is a full hd 3D projector capable of converting 2D into 3D) and a Kingpin Screen. However, I don't really know what else I should buy, except for the glasses and a Blu-ray player, to make this solution complete. I already have a set of speakers so I don't really need that. As for the Blu-ray player, any advice on which one I should buy? I don't want it to be too expensive though. Also it should be able to play most video file formats as well as support common audio formats.

I'm going to use this system to:
-Watch 3D Blu-ray discs
-Watch downloaded Full HD 3D material (play it on the projector by pop it through a usb to a Blu-ray player? or something else that is suggested maybe a laptop)
-Watch Full HD 2D movies
-Watch Full HD movies that are converted from 2D to 3D

I'm also thinking of buying a laptop, this might not be the optimal place to ask for advice, but should I think of anything special (other than the presence of HDMI 1.4) if I want to connect it to the projector? Or will a Blu-ray player do the job making the laptop unnecessary?

Thanks!

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
The EH-TW9000 is the European variant of the Epson 5010 projector, and is a very solid odel. It will nicely fill a screen from 92" to about 140" with a solid enough image for both 2D and 3D viewing.

The screen I have NO idea about, but I strongly recommend geting a step up from the bottom of the line screens that are out there to something at least midline. A fixed frame screen is preferred always. DO NOT BUY A MANUAL ROLL UP SCREEN OR A NON-TAB TENSIONED SCREEN!

The Panasonic Blu-ray players are good quality and will do alright.

Keep in mind, Blu-ray players for $150 are not $1,000 computers. They are designed to play Blu-ray movies. They deliver quality 1080p 3D encoded onto Blu-ray Discs first and foremost, then they deliver some added functionality anywhere from reasonably well to very poorly. So, if you want added functionality, don't count on, or demand, that your Blu-ray player be the device which is going to do that. Instead, buy a BD player for the quality and value of the BD player, then get additional playback sources as necessary.

Blu-ray 3D is, at this time, the best quality 3D source material you are likely to find.

Not sure what sound system you have, but make sure it can handle everything. I will assume it can.

Finally, make sure that you are treating your room properly for best results.

A

arda91

Audiophyte
Thanks for the rep!

As for the screen I have that pretty much covered as I have received some advice from the local home theater store.

Great, because as for now I have the Panasonic DMP-BDT320 in mind which seems to be very good. The question is, can it properly play various of file formats through usb? I remember having a Samsung device which didn't play writable DVDs (pretty insane).

I'm going to both buy and download 3D material from the internet, which is why a variety of video formats should be readable.

Regarding the laptop, I actually need a new one anyway so I figured maybe I could get a laptop that can function as a Blu-ray player replacement.

The room and sound system are pretty much covered as well.

The only thing I really worry about is whether I can play video files etc through a usb port and then view it on the projector. You don't have this issue with 3D TVs as they already have an integrated media player which can play most files.

G

Grador

Audioholic Field Marshall
I've always found using a computer to play physical media to be quite a hassle, I wouldn't substitute a laptop for a bluray player. On the other hand I've always had trouble playing digital sources with bluray players. If you really want to use the player for downloaded content, you're going to have to figure out what formats are most important to you and do some googling. The best option is really to use the bluray player for blurays and laptop for files.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Most TVs do a lousy job of playing 'most' files. They play SOME files, but the choices is extremely limited when considering all the different file types out there.

Read the number of complaints about TVs playing back stuff and you quickly will realize that if you want full comptability, then a QUALITY HTPC delivers the most compatibility.

Read a lot about HTPCs and you realize that getting quality HD, especially Blu-ray playback isn't always straightforward with a PC compared to just getting a decent BD player.

Why the Panny 320 instead of the 220 or the 120? I guess maybe the 320 offers a few more interactive features you may be after, in which case the minimal bump in price may be worthwhile.

I ask everyone to consider what they expect in video compatibility and performance from a $150 BD player. Some people expect everything, which is a lousy expectation and will set you up for failure when you go to use it. Expect a BD player to play back BDs very well, and then everything else is a bonus. Most players these days will playback most other standard video media such as DVDs and CDs, burned or store bought. As long as the discs themselves are properly formatted for reading by a player, they should work.

A

arda91

Audiophyte
Grador,
Ok, so I'll use the BDP for disc and laptop for files. But, is it possible to watch 3D material with the newer laptops, or does the laptop have to have a specific graphic card to be able to playback 3D material?

BMXTRIX,
Should have written most common video formats instead.
But a laptop should do the same job as a HTPC, right?
I chose the 320 because it has a 2D to 3D convertor, but maybe that's not necessary since the projector already has it.

I also checked the playable files through the usb port on the 320 and realized only the following files are support: DivX,DivX Hd, mkv and MP4.

G

Grador

Audioholic Field Marshall
Grador,
Ok, so I'll use the BDP for disc and laptop for files. But, is it possible to watch 3D material with the newer laptops, or does the laptop have to have a specific graphic card to be able to playback 3D material?
I have done no dabbling in 3D content. I believe all current nvidia cards will happily pipe 3D out over HDMI, but I'm not positive on this and that's not to say AMDs and intel's wont. I'd recommend finding a laptop you think looks good and researching the video card in it.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I will have to say that while I am pretty solid with my knowledge of projectors and with Blu-ray and BD 3D, I am not familiar with other versions of 3D, or how they are handled by PCs. nVidia has been one of the leaders in 3D from what I've heard, but there's been a few years of maturity with 3D now and there are likely other players who do just as well. For this type of information, you really need to be in a more specific 3D forum than Audioholics offers. In fact, there seems to be very little 'solid' information on A/V forums about 3D with PCs.

Oh, and yes, a good laptop will be just like a HTPC, but it won't be a dedicated unit, and may be missing out on the graphics capabilities and connectivity, especially audio, that a HTPC may deliver.

B

bmurphy2121

Audioholic
I've read a lot of the projector posts on here and have tried to do a lot of research and am hung up on what to get. Here are my options Epson 8700 UB, Epson 8350, and the Epson 3010. I really like the 8350 but was looking at the 8700 UB and they seemed the same so I wasn't sure what the point of spending the extra money for the 8700 UB vs the 8350 would get me. I also like the idea of the 3010 cause of the 3D cause I def cant afford the 5010 right now, but since there isn't that much good 3D stuff out there right now not sure if that would be a good choice. I have a Mitch 65" that's 3D and have only used it a little when I first got it for Thor and a couple of PS3 games and that was it.

Also I'm not sure what kind of screen to get. I'm thinking about either standard electric or tensioned electric. I think I'm going to go that route cause I think I'm still going to use the 65", and also cause I have Def Tech gear and need them from the wall so I thought that one of those choices would be better than a fixed one.

I'm new to the projector thing so I'm not real sure what to look for. I've heard that Epson is a great company and has great projectors. Other than that I'm clueless on other projectors.

I'm open to suggestions. I'm thinking as of right now my budget would have to be around 2500 at the most less preferably. I'm pretty much looking for the biggest bang for the buck and don't want to break the bank either. I would prob be using this set up for 35% movies 35% PS3 and 30% for TV. I hope someone can help me out. Thanks Brandon

B

bmurphy2121

Audioholic
I will have to say that while I am pretty solid with my knowledge of projectors and with Blu-ray and BD 3D, I am not familiar with other versions of 3D, or how they are handled by PCs. nVidia has been one of the leaders in 3D from what I've heard, but there's been a few years of maturity with 3D now and there are likely other players who do just as well. For this type of information, you really need to be in a more specific 3D forum than Audioholics offers. In fact, there seems to be very little 'solid' information on A/V forums about 3D with PCs.

Oh, and yes, a good laptop will be just like a HTPC, but it won't be a dedicated unit, and may be missing out on the graphics capabilities and connectivity, especially audio, that a HTPC may deliver.
The post that I just left is for you because of your knowledge. Also I just got into the HTPC myself to and have installed PowerDVD12 Ultra for Blu-Ray. Do you think that is good software to use for Blu-Ray on a PC?. I also have a PS3 to to use if thats not that good.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I would use the PS3 for BD any day of the week over a PC. It is fast and is designed to treat BD properly.

For a projector, the 8350 is likely to do better than the 3010 and the 8700 is going to do better than the 8350 for quality. Keep in mind that we are talking quality in a proper home theater environment with a completely blacked out room. Not a showroom or a lit room, but a fully darkened home theater with dark walls, carpets and ceilings. If you aren't intending this for true home theater use most of the time, then the 8350 or 5010 will be fine.

The 5010 is a decent entry level 3D projector, but you must remember that it does not have lens shift so must be placed pretty exactly in the room to work properly.

Finally, get a MANUAL screen or a tensioned electric screen. Don't ever waste money on a non-tensioned electric screen. Total waste of money. I would think if you can't swing a 5010, then affording a decent tensioned electric screen may be tough as well.

B

bmurphy2121

Audioholic
I would use the PS3 for BD any day of the week over a PC. It is fast and is designed to treat BD properly.

For a projector, the 8350 is likely to do better than the 3010 and the 8700 is going to do better than the 8350 for quality. Keep in mind that we are talking quality in a proper home theater environment with a completely blacked out room. Not a showroom or a lit room, but a fully darkened home theater with dark walls, carpets and ceilings. If you aren't intending this for true home theater use most of the time, then the 8350 or 5010 will be fine.

The 5010 is a decent entry level 3D projector, but you must remember that it does not have lens shift so must be placed pretty exactly in the room to work properly.

Finally, get a MANUAL screen or a tensioned electric screen. Don't ever waste money on a non-tensioned electric screen. Total waste of money. I would think if you can't swing a 5010, then affording a decent tensioned electric screen may be tough as well.
Thanks so much for the info. My set up is going to be in a basement with no windows and the control of lights. Its a rectangular room with 3 light that break up the room. All the light are separately controlled. One of the lights will be breaking up the projector and the screen but can be turned off if needs be.

So if I'm understanding you right with the set up I have then I should have no problems with the 8350 then due to the fact that I can control the lights. If that's the case then I think I will wait on the 3D until more movies/games comes out and it comes down in price. I don't think if I got the 5010 I would use the 3D that much anyways because I have a 3D TV and never use it so I think that would be a waste of money.

As for as screens the tensioned one was the one I was looking at but I just wanted to make sure that was the right choice.

Any other help or suggestions would be great. Now is there any other projectors that are comparable to the 8350 that would do just as good or better for around the same price? or does Epson pretty much have the market on projectors?

gmichael

gmichael

Audioholic Spartan

Do you mean the 3010? I have the 5010 and it does have lens shift.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Please understand, everyone can turn lights out. Turning the lights out does not control light, it just turns the lights in the room off.

Light control for a home theater requires that you have painted the room with a flat, dark color on the walls and the ceiling. You never (EVER) in your life have walked into a commercial theater that is painted a light tan or has white walls. This is because white/light walls and ceilings and carpet significantly impact the image you get on screen. You lose all light control when the projector is a giant flashlight reflecting off the screen and then hitting light walls and bouncing right back onto the screen.

So, light control is not about flicking off a light switch, it is about controlling the 1,000+ lumens of light which is coming out of the projector and bouncing off the screen throughout the room.

That said, if you do have your room painted dark as described, then the 8700UB is a better projector in terms of image quality than the 8350.

If you have light painted walls/carpet/ceiling, then the 8350 will be fine.

There are any number of projectors on the market which are decent looking 1080p models, but none at that price point have the reliability and flexibility that the Epson 8350 offers. The Panasonic PT-AR100U is a excellent option as is the Optoma HD20. The Optoma is a DLP projector which has a very different look than the LCD projectors which many people prefer. The Mitsubishi HC4000 is also a model which is well regarded.

On the higher end, Panasonic, Epson, and JVC are all nice models with great flexibility. The BenQ W7000 offers a very appealing DLP product.

So, yes, there are definitely choices, but the Epson is certainly a no-brainer. It works well, has great flexibility, has a very solid image, and is priced right.

B

bmurphy2121

Audioholic
Yeah I know what you mean about the light deal that didnt even cross my mind when I asked cause I used to build commercial theaters like AMC and stuff.
Thank you for all your help. Now Im even more confused since you gave me even more choices.

B

bmurphy2121

Audioholic
There are any number of projectors on the market which are decent looking 1080p models, but none at that price point have the reliability and flexibility that the Epson 8350 offers. The Panasonic PT-AR100U is a excellent option as is the Optoma HD20. The Optoma is a DLP projector which has a very different look than the LCD projectors which many people prefer. The Mitsubishi HC4000 is also a model which is well regarded.

On the higher end, Panasonic, Epson, and JVC are all nice models with great flexibility. The BenQ W7000 offers a very appealing DLP product.
What's so different about the looks of a DLP VS LCD projectors that People like so much?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis