$300 computer speakers + sound card

R

Reos

Audiophyte
Hi, i know absolutely nothing about sound cards or speakers and i am gonna buy a new computer soon. I really need better computer speakers to my new computer because the sound is not very good in those that i have now.

I dont have a TV or a stereo so i use my computer for all entertainment. I watch alot of movies and play alot of games.

I was thinking i could spend around $300 on computer speakers + sound card for my new computer but i am not sure how far that will get me. I could spend alittle over $300 but not much more.

Also, i live in Sweden so please suggest stuff that you think could be baught in europe.

A

auujay

Audioholic Intern
Powered Monitors?

I don't have any suggestions for a sound card but for speakers if this is just for plugging into a computer at your desk I would think about some powered "studio" monitors. That way the soundcard output can be plugged right into your speakers without bothering with an amp or reciever.

Some brands that should have monitors in this price range are KRK, Alesis, M-Audio, and Behringer.

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Powered speakers

Check out the Audio Engine 5 powered bookshelf speakers. They should work well for your application.
For about $100 you can get an M-AUDIO sound card with a high quality stereo analog output, for connection to your powered speakers.

Yamahaluver

Yamahaluver

Audioholic General
Since Yamaha left PC sound card and speaker business for good, my recommendation based on my experience would be to stick to Altec Lansing for speakers if you like neutral sound and M-Audio for true audiphille quality sound.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Swans make decent powered monitors for the money.

R

Reos

Audiophyte
auujay said:
I don't have any suggestions for a sound card but for speakers if this is just for plugging into a computer at your desk I would think about some powered "studio" monitors. That way the soundcard output can be plugged right into your speakers without bothering with an amp or reciever.

Some brands that should have monitors in this price range are KRK, Alesis, M-Audio, and Behringer.
What is "studio" monitors? What does a monitor do? I actually never heard of it :)

I have not cared much for sound until now, please dont hate me :)

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
Reos said:
What is "studio" monitors? What does a monitor do? I actually never heard of it :)

When music is recorded in the studio, the guys who set levels and mix the music listen to it on Monitors, which are highly accurate speakers. In my experience many monitors aren't the most neutral. However, in this instance, I think monitors would be a good idea. See if you can find any pro audio stores around (those that sell guitars, PA systems, keyboards, etc.).

Also, I would recommend that you consider headphones. A pair of Sony MDR-V6 headphones will sound great, and take a lot of abuse. They are used extensively in studios worldwide for their accuracy.

A

auujay

Audioholic Intern
Reos said:

jaxvon's answer is fine. A lot of the time people will claim that "monitors" give too flat a response and are not good for regular listening. In general I don't really agree with this argument however I think it is especially moot when we are talking about "monitors" in this price range. At this price level these speakers are really not that different from other hi-fi speakers but they have the nice benefit of integrated amps with the speakers.

You should be able to go to Guitar Center or some place that sells sound equipment to musicians and hear a bunch in action.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis