30 Days of Night on BD

The Chukker

The Chukker

Full Audioholic
Going to go downstairs right now and watch this with the GF. Will post thoughts a bit later :D.

Jack Hammer

Jack Hammer

Audioholic Field Marshall
I just ordered this on BD from Amazon Wed. I have a few friends who generally like the same movies I do who highly recommended it, so I bought it on impulse (came home after a night of drinking):eek:. I won't have it for at least a week though. I'm hoping it'll be worth the $26.95, as in I'll watch it several times. What did you think of it?

Jack

K

kragnorok

Junior Audioholic
I saw it in theatres and bought it the first day it was out on BD. I loved it, breathed new life into the whole Vampire genre. Was really impressed, the ending wasn't the best (Don't worry no spoilers here) but the suspense and everything else, especially the gore, was extremely well done. I have found it's a hit or miss movie, you either love it or hate it, me and my girlfriend loved it, where as my sister and her boyfriend weren't too keen on it. But ya, watched it again the day it came out , still loved it .

First movie in a while that creeped me out some, I'm pretty desensitized now.

The Chukker

The Chukker

Full Audioholic
Hmmm...

Brutal. Suspenseful. OK.
Truly scary or frightening, naaaah. Paranormal State on A&E HD is more hair raising.

Why don't "scary movies" scare me anymore?

An "American Haunting" was creepy soundwise -- but it didn't keep me up at night the same way "The Exorcist" did.

The last movie that really made me go: "OK that's creepy, real, and wtf?" was The Mothman Prophecies.

True horror is always rooted in reality and 30 Days of Night pandered too much to the unwashed masses IMO.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I thought it was great until the ending. This is 99% of all cases for me. The ending is so hard to pull off.

Jack Hammer

Jack Hammer

...The last movie that really made me go: "OK that's creepy, real, and wtf?" was The Mothman Prophecies...
I really enjoyed that movie. While I didn't lose any sleep over it, I was kinda creeped out while watching it.

I just tracked my package and it's supposed to come today. So maybe I'll get a chance to watch it before I go to work tonight.

Jack

Jack Hammer

Jack Hammer

Alright, so I got it yesterday afternoon and watched it. I didn't find it scary at all, not once. I only found one scene to even create any tension, Hartnett outside trying to hide after leaving the jail and before he found his friend who had turned. Definately not creepy in the least.

I really liked the way the director tried to go for that 70's style of gritty horror flick (we'll hide out at the diner til it's over), it was just made a little too flashy and high budget to pull it off. Also, I don't find fast motion, jump out atcha action scary at all. IMO truly terrifying action moves so slow yet unavoidable that you cant help but be overwhelmed by it (the exorcist was a great example, as was Phantasm, Night of the Living Dead, or even scenes from Silent Hill). Bottom line: I think it's fine for a rental movie but not worth the purchase price I paid, $26.95.

Jack

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
Umm, it is on my credenza just waiting to be watched, guess I will try it out tonight.

Pwner_2130

Pwner_2130

Audioholic
Great movie, I loved the scene with the dude driving the (what the heck kind of arctic vehicle was that anyways) and blowing the heads off the bad dudes with the shotty.

E

Exit

Audioholic Chief
I thought it was pretty good to see once as a rental, but I wouldn't buy it. I still like Underworld as the best out of this genre. It was kinda cool seeing what a north Alaska town looked like or a least what the director thought it would look like. I wonder where they filmed it.

Jack Hammer

Jack Hammer

...I wonder where they filmed it.
In Canada. I forget the town, but it's not real snow, but very realistic looking prop. The extra features on the disc are better than the movie. In fact, while trying to get every pennies worth of my wasted $26.95 out of the disc, I watched all the extras. I really enjoyed the one about working night shoots for 6-8 weeks (and related because I work nights).

Jack

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
I didnt care for it but I only rented it so nothing lost.

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
I bought it based off of reviews, and wish I hadn't. It was ok. Just another vampire movie. Nothing new or exciting about it.

But I sold it for $15, so no biggie.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I didnt care for it but I only rented it so nothing lost.
Yeah, I agree. I just hate it when they kill off the lead character. Why couldn't they just turn him into a hybrid or something?:D

C

chris6878

Audioholic
Yeah, I agree. I just hate it when they kill off the lead character. Why couldn't they just turn him into a hybrid or something?:D
Why didnt he go after the others. Very lazy ending imo. He just sat there and died. How Lame!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Why didnt he go after the others. Very lazy ending imo. He just sat there and died. How Lame!
I agree. Lame ending.:D

I guess he was afraid that he would turn evil if he didn't kill himself or waited too long?

They should have made his body somehow immune to this Vampire Virus. Somehow his body already had antibodies to the virus from birth...yeah...which then made him hybrid...yeah...then he should have gotten off this a$$ and killed every last one of those vampires!:D

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis