3 Ways to Manage your Music

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
No love for the vinyl folk?;)
I had to see who penned the article. If you have read any of Del Colliano's other tripe, you would not have to ask that question - he hates vinyl and has made no bones about it.

D

damobetta

Enthusiast
I was born in 1967. I still buy CDs but am very selective. I did this because despite the excellent streaming services available I am anti residual cost. Moreover most free or membership paid services like the music one gets for being an Amazon Prime member are MP3s and let's face it Redbook tech albeit old has far less compression than MP3s. So, when I wait to listen El Hombre, Kiss My Axe or Quest its a CD I turn to. Hopefully when I rebuild my home system I can find a good CD/SACD player as there is nothing like being able to open the CD and see who olayed various instruments which is not offered with any streaming service I have seen.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I think people need to get away from the use of the term OWN YOUR MUSIC. It was never yours to own and physical media provides a long term lease of a performance of music that is owned by a group of artists, publishers and so forth. The industry wants a pay per play model and attempting to buy every new album on the market is far more expensive than using a monthly streaming service.

Hell, one can orchestrate free trials almost indefinitely and your local library has CDs on the shelf one can check out and rip. Thrift stores and yard sales are good places to get CDs for pennies and there are still a few record shops dealing in used media.

So, I guess I do need to get crackin’ on those rips but Amazon Music, Apple Music, Deezer, Pandora and Qobuz are just a few taps of a touchscreen away from filling the house with music so I’ll pass, for now. If I’m feeling nostalgic about it all, I’ll spin a crackly record.
Not ever going to stream music from a service because Im not shelling out more money to listen to music that I can have on an infinitely long term lease (own). I shell out enough with a subscriptions to Netflix, Amazon Prime (I can listen to them but I choose not too), Disney, and Crave. I still listen to vinyl, cassette, and CDs that I have ripped and to digital files I have purchased and downloaded. I have blues albums that I doubt will ever see the digital world.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
So, good with hard copies of audio, but not video? Ok with compressed picture and sound from movies and TV but not from your favorite band? Hey, everybody has their preference. Of all the subscriptions for various things out there, this is the one some guys just won’t touch. Hey, I like my physical media, but I’m not planning on dying in this house and the last move almost killed me. All of this crap has to go at some point. It’s a fun hobby. It’s also a f#%kin’ albatross. The guy with empty shelves using an OTA antenna for TV and radio is laughing all the way to the bank. But, first he stops by the library. ;)

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
So, good with hard copies of audio, but not video? Ok with compressed picture and sound from movies and TV but not from your favorite band? Hey, everybody has their preference. Of all the subscriptions for various things out there, this is the one some guys just won’t touch. Hey, I like my physical media, but I’m not planning on dying in this house and the last move almost killed me. All of this crap has to go at some point. It’s a fun hobby. It’s also a f#%kin’ albatross. The guy with empty shelves using an OTA antenna for TV and radio is laughing all the way to the bank. But, first he stops by the library. ;)
I can't think of a nicer coffin liner than big hair bands on vinyl . :p

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
We used them as shelves when I was a kid. My parents kept all of their albums in them.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
We was po’ and didn’t have cinder block and wood money. ;)

E

eirepaul

Audioholic
I had to see who penned the article. If you have read any of Del Colliano's other tripe, you would not have to ask that question - he hates vinyl and has made no bones about it.
.....and I can completely understand why. BTW - Jerry does not write 'tripe' by any means - he fully understands and appreciates the wide availablity of high resolution accurate sound to the music consumer these days. The whole "vinyl resurgence" thing has always puzzled me - a total step backwards in audio quality when we can now experience dynamic range and clarity that seemed unattainable in our living room or headphones not that long ago, unless you were sitting in the recording studio. But, hey, not everyone wants to see technological advances in things and everyone has a different view of what sounds realistic. Spin and crackle and pop on.

jd-mac

jd-mac

Enthusiast
I started to read the article and then got derailed at the "anti-mask, anti-vaccination, anti-immigrant" comment. So no thanks. Just so ya know.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
What if you use all three? Granted, my CD collection got stolen in college and I've yet to find replacements for everything. I generally just stream now since most of the time my music listening is done while doing other things, but if I do sit down and listen it's going to be my local media from my NAS. By far the most reliable and convenient.

I've got stuff streaming services don't have so I've only got so many options. I haven't used physical media in an actual player in probably a decade. That was a weird sentence to type. :oops:

H

Hobbit

Senior Audioholic
..... I have blues albums that I doubt will ever see the digital world.

Agreed, I have a ton of music that is very hard to find on the streaming services. I also like internet radio devices. While this seems to be dying out, and the quality can vary a lot, I actually listen to unique radio stations that play a lot of music I like. It's also a great place to find new music and artists.

When guests are over or I'm not really listening, I'll use the standard free versions of the streaming services. This works because I can type in anything that anyone is interested in. Most people like mainstream music.

All my own music is either ripped CDs or downloaded to my computer, mostly downloaded anymore, and played through WIFI on different devices around my house.

R

robwas

Enthusiast
Great read and I come from the vinyl/cd/physical media generation. We have an amazon HD music account and enjoy it quite a bit but I have to mention something about this. Many of the recordings on the service are equal to my CD's but when I start getting into more obscure stuff sometimes the recording either doesn't exist or was sourced from something severely degraded. One example would be some of the old country trucker CD's, there's a recording of "Bridge washed out" on amazon music that sounds absolutely awful, I thought perhaps I'd forgotten how bad the CD was so I took it out of my collection and put it on, the sound was 10x better. For this reason I will enjoy streaming services but still actively collect physical CD's and would not give up my collection. It's surprising how many different versions of a song can even exist in the world of CD's, usually "remasters" sound worse but not always. Everything Steve Hoffman did is really the best version.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis