P

Picketti

Audiophyte
Hi,

I have 2 wired ceiling speakers in the kitchen and one in garden all 50W 8 ohm. I have purchased a Sono amp with only 2 channels, what would be the best way to connect the 3 speakers to minimise loss in quality and power?

any advice appreciated.

cheers

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Hi,

I have 2 wired ceiling speakers in the kitchen and one in garden all 50W 8 ohm. I have purchased a Sono amp with only 2 channels, what would be the best way to connect the 3 speakers to minimise loss in quality and power?

any advice appreciated.

cheers

I would keep the whole thing mono. I would wire the kitchen speakers in parallel and install impedance matching volume controls, one in the kitchen and the other close to where the outside speaker is. I would worry much about quality, as that will not be a high sound quality system in any case.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Hi,

any advice appreciated.

cheers

If you want to change the balance between the speakers, you can use the volume controls but using three speakers makes this a bit of a problem but I would ask if the third speaker is absolutely necessary? If you would be more likely to change the level of only one speaker, add the control only to the one that needs frequent adjustment but the best way to use three speakers with a stereo amplifier is to buy the kind that have dual voice coils and tweeters- they're made for this application. You will need to make sure the impedance is correct for the amplifier, but it gives you the same sound in all speaker locations.

Personally, and I can buy Sonos from my electronics distributors, I think the Sonos amp is overpriced. If you're not using and will never use its HDMI port, the Sonos Port with a separate amplifier would be a less expensive option and it would do what you want, especially if you're not expecting/demanding the ultimate sound quality. I understand using Sonos if you have other Sonos devices, but their Amp is too expensive for me to use in situations like yours- it needs analog inputs, but they're so fixated on not having delays between zones that they add a delay to all of their devices and that causes problems of their own.

If you don't have other Sonos and aren't planning to add any, I would recommend looking at the Yamaha MusicCast WXC-50- it can feed a preamp without using its volume control, or a power amp by changing the position of one switch. Plus, the price leaves $250 for a power amp if you watch the $699 price for the Sonos (unless you're buying it during one of their sales).

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis