3 channel Hypex Ncore Amplifier - ATI vs Nord/Apollon

W

WhiteCoatGeek

Enthusiast
Looking for advice on a 3 channel Hypex Ncore amplifier - ATI vs Nord/Apollon

I currently have a ATI AT528NC amplifier which powers my surrounds and atmos speakers. I am looking for another amp for my LCR (Procella P8). I have decided to stay with a Class D amp specifically Hypex ncore based.

I was wondering why there was such a discrepancy in weight between ATI (17.8 Kg) and Nord's (5.6Kg) implementation of hypex ncore and if it impacts the performance in any way. It seems that ATI uses a linear power supply whereas Nord and Apollon use SMPS. ATI offers a much better warranty and has very good reputation but I am not sure if the price difference is worth it.

Looking into ATI AT543NC vs Nord One NC500DM/Nord One NC500DM MKII or even cheaper Nord One MP NC502

On the AVS forum there are backers on both side and I was wondering what do people on this forum think. I know there are several members here who are much more knowledgeable than me when it comes to these things. My goal is to buy an amp that I would not need to upgrade in future (unless it dies on me) even if I change speakers.

Last edited:
Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
I see you've also posted this same question on audiosciencereview. Switching power supplies, properly implemented, are technically superior to linear power supplies. Looking at the specs for the Nord, it uses Hypex power supplies, which are known to be of very high quality. I don't know why ATI chose linear power supplies; perhaps they felt their target market would not accept a lightweight amp. Perhaps linear power supplies were cheaper for ATI. My advice: pick one and move on. Personally, I prefer switch-mode power supplies, but I don't care for Class D amps, so I'd probably choose the Benchmark Media amp, which is a switching power supply with a Class AB amplifier, unfortunately more expensive, and only available in stereo or bridged.

If cost is an issue for you, I'd choose the Nord. I don't think the ATI's warranty is worth the added cost, but that's just my opinion.

W

WhiteCoatGeek

Enthusiast
Thanks for your input! Yes, I did post on that ASR forum but didn't get any siginificant traction there. The reason why I am hesitent with Nord/Apollon are the lack of professional reviews. ATI's amp despite all the cons you mentioned have received good reviews from several websites/magazines. You are right that I need to get out of this paralysis by analysis. At the end of the day, I am sure I wont be able to tell the difference between two :)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Just what is a "professional review" these days? Seems pretty much mostly bullshit to me. Irv's choices....meh.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Just what is a "professional review" these days? Seems pretty much mostly bullshit to me. Irv's choices....meh.
I think WCG was looking for a review with measurements, like on ASR and Stereophile, and sometimes on AH.

As for your opinion on my choices, meh. ;-)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I think WCG was looking for a review with measurements, like on ASR and Stereophile, and sometimes on AH.

As for your opinion on my choices, meh. ;-)
WCG needs you to expand? Measurements are nice of course but the Hypex modules have done quite nicely, despite your weird aversion to class d....

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis