Yeetious

Yeetious

Audiophyte
I'm looking into getting a quality center channel for my stereo setup. I currently have Klipsch RP-150m's and Klipsch R-10SW sub woofer. They are running using an old Yamaha RX-V465 I got as a hand me down. I'm not really looking to upgrade my receiver as it pretty much gets the job done for me (I use the S/PDIF as it doesn't even have ARC and it'll be a minute before I get 5.1 or even 7.1 surround).
I'm wondering if the V465 supports 3.1. I really don't know much about how receivers work and looking through the manual and online, I can't confirm. Asking because the center I'm looking at is the Klipsch RP-450c and don't want to drop that much money if it will not work well. I understand that the receiver doesn't exactly have the watts per channel (is that correct terminology?) , but looking around online has shown me that it shouldn't be much of a problem.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I'm not familiar with that specific receiver, but if it has ability to handle up to 5.1 or 7.1, etc, and you have the ability to "turn on" speakers like the surrounds or rears... OR CENTER... then that is your answer. :)

Yeetious

Yeetious

Audiophyte
I'm not familiar with that specific receiver, but if it has ability to handle up to 5.1 or 7.1, etc, and you have the ability to "turn on" speakers like the surrounds or rears... OR CENTER... then that is your answer. :)
What do you mean by "turn on"? I'm not familiar with that?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
It's a 5.1 AVR. So yes, you can do 3.1. In your Manual Speaker Setup, just set the Surround speakers to OFF/NONE. The AVR will see that you only have the Front Left, Front Right, Center, and Subwoofer.

If you only want 2.1, then also set your Center to Off/None.

Yeetious

Yeetious

Audiophyte
It's a 5.1 AVR. So yes, you can do 3.1. In your Manual Speaker Setup, just set the Surround speakers to OFF/NONE. The AVR will see that you only have the Front Left, Front Right, Center, and Subwoofer.

If you only want 2.1, then also set your Center to Off/None.
OK! I'm picking up what you're putting down! Playing around with the receiver a little, I can go into setup from the remote, speaker set up, manual setup, config, Then I can change how I want the speakers in a 5.1 setup to be. It gives me options for Front LR, Center, and Surround LR! I can choose between large, small, or none. I'm inferring that large/small is just the physical size of the speakers, but I really care about the none! This really does help!!

Thank you so much! Now all I have to do is save up money....

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
OK! I'm picking up what you're putting down! Playing around with the receiver a little, I can go into setup from the remote, speaker set up, manual setup, config, Then I can change how I want the speakers in a 5.1 setup to be. It gives me options for Front LR, Center, and Surround LR! I can choose between large, small, or none. I'm inferring that large/small is just the physical size of the speakers, but I really care about the none! This really does help!!

You got it! :D

L

Leemix

Audioholic General

Large/small is not really about size of speaker its about bass management on or off for that speaker pair. Large is full range and small is with crossover to sub.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yeetious

Yeetious

Audiophyte
Large/small is not really about size of speaker its about bass management on or off for that speaker pair. Large is full range and small is with crossover to sub.

How does that work? Like, for low frequencies that would normally come from bookshelves, the sub instead takes those over? My AVR currently has my RP-150's set as large. Do you think it would be beneficial to set them as small?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
If using a sub it is almost always beneficial to run your speakers as small IMO. If set to large with a sub then the sub only plays LFE channel content, altho some avrs have a double bass type setting to use both (duplicating the range in the sub bass area).

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
How does that work? Like, for low frequencies that would normally come from bookshelves, the sub instead takes those over? My AVR currently has my RP-150's set as large. Do you think it would be beneficial to set them as small?
Exactly like that but its a gradual takeover so usually its best to cross over with a good margin often recommended an octave above (which is double the frequency) of the -3dB usually listed in the speakers specification(48hz for rp150m) so cross at 80 to 100hz with speakers set to small.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
To help visualize a crossover this might help as Leemix said, it's gradual, not a brick wall filter (this example is not specific to your gear, tho).
crossover.jpg

Yeetious

Yeetious

Audiophyte
Exactly like that but its a gradual takeover so usually its best to cross over with a good margin often recommended an octave above (which is double the frequency) of the -3dB usually listed in the speakers specification(48hz for rp150m) so cross at 80 to 100hz with speakers set to small.

To help visualize a crossover this might help as Leemix said, it's gradual, not a brick wall filter (this example is not specific to your gear, tho).
View attachment 29908
Man, I still have a lot to learn in the home theater scene. This is something I'm gonna have to throw some more research into. Nothing is as simple as it first seems.

EDIT: I also am currently running my sub using LFE. I really don't know what the difference is between LFE and, well I'm not sure what using both RCA's is called.

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
Man, I still have a lot to learn in the home theater scene. This is something I'm gonna have to throw some more research into. Nothing is as simple as it first seems.

EDIT: I also am currently running my sub using LFE. I really don't know what the difference is between LFE and, well I'm not sure what using both RCA's is called.
Most just run the auto setup and leave it at that but it is easy to manually set small and crossover also. And you have a nice system you can have a lot of fun with :)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi

Generally LFE input on the sub means your sub will bypass it's own low pass filter and let the avr control it. Using both rca's if you have old 2ch gear can be helpful, or in some circumstances can give a 6dB gain advantage if needed (if your pre-out signal is too low or something).

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis