2way vs 3way center

W

Waterguy

Enthusiast
Sorry if this has been posted before. Fixing to pull the trigger on some ascend acoustic cmt 340 LCR. For some reason I'm having second thoughts on buying a 2way center. This will be used only for HT. Can someone put my mind to rest. I have never been a paradigm fan but listened to a c3 center(3way) and it sounded pretty darn good. But I probably won't have the same setup$$$ the local shop has. Thanks for any replies.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
If you have CMT340 left and right fronts, you should get a 340 center. What should bother you about center speakers is not 2 way vs 3 way but horizontal alignment of drivers. It always makes for an uneven off-axis response in these horizontal MTM designs.

W

Waterguy

Enthusiast
If you have CMT340 left and right fronts, you should get a 340 center. What should bother you about center speakers is not 2 way vs 3 way but horizontal alignment of drivers. It always makes for an uneven off-axis response in these horizontal MTM designs.
Sorry didn't clarify. I haven't bought the cmt's yet.....I was just relating a 3way to a 2way in car auduo application which I have experience in. I have zero experience in home audio. 3way in a car sounds much better to me In my tahoe so I was thinking the 3way for my HT would have lot more detail and overall better sound than a 2way center. Thank you for the reply.

W

Waterguy

Enthusiast
So if Im following you correctly the paradigm being a wtmw is a better fit for a center channel...and getting the matching paradigm bookshelf along with it.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
So if Im following you correctly the paradigm being a wtmw is a better fit for a center channel...and getting the matching paradigm bookshelf along with it.
What I am saying is that center speakers are a compromised design, and, if you have room for an upright bookshelf speaker for your center channel, use that instead of traditional horizontal center speakers. It doesn't matter too much if the center is a two way or three way. The horizontal vs vertical design will have a much greater impact on the sound.

However, if you are forced into getting a horizontal center, then, yes, make sure it comes in the matching line with your left and right fronts, so if you get paradigm fronts, make sure the center is from the same speaker line.

W

Waterguy

Enthusiast
OK gotcha. Unfortunately most or my set up I don't have the room for a vertical center. OK so back to my first question. No real improvement going with a 3way vs 2way strictly for SQ.

W

Waterguy

Enthusiast
Let me go little deeper. Taking the price out of the equation... If you were going to buy a new center would you buy a 3way or 2way.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Everything being equal- assuming competent engineering on both- I would go with a three-way.

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
Let me go little deeper. Taking the price out of the equation... If you were going to buy a new center would you buy a 3way or 2way.
2 or 3 way doesn't matter. What matters more is the design of the speaker. And like already pointed out it is best to match LCR speakers.

J

Jeffrey S. Albaugh

Audioholic
It's usually best to use the same speaker or fronts & center, but 2 way/ 3 way doesn't really matter. Also, Center channel speaker is for Dialog, not full range sound. Voices don't usually go down into the bass region, nor does it soar up to 18 Hz either. There is still one disadvantage to a 3 way vs. 2 way. You have 2 crossover points instead of one. Depending on the sophistication of the cross over networks, it could change things.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I agree that it doesn't matter whether it's a 2 way or 3 way design. You get better dispersion if the tweeter doesn't lielie on the same horizontal axes as two woofers .

W

Waterguy

Enthusiast
Well I finally settled on some speakers know the problem are recievers. Lol. Lot more info and reviews to go through. Anybody recommend a reciever with 125w per channel. Able to XO over the fronts manually. Great video and sound performance. basicly the best HT reciever for under 700. I saw the Marantz 7009 refurbished for 700 but can't figure out if I can XO individual speakers.

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
Well I finally settled on some speakers know the problem are recievers. Lol. Lot more info and reviews to go through. Anybody recommend a reciever with 125w per channel. Able to XO over the fronts manually. Great video and sound performance. basicly the best HT reciever for under 700. I saw the Marantz 7009 refurbished for 700 but can't figure out if I can XO individual speakers.
If I understand your question correctly, yes you can set the crossover for every speaker / sub individually.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis