2500 and setting crossover

trevorgray

trevorgray

Audioholic Intern
When I set my crossover on my 2500 to 60 or 80 (as THX recommends) or whatever, what does the crossover setting knob on my subwoofer do? I assume that the receiver overrides because it is actually sending the signal, but I have them both set to the same to be safe.

Alos, if I set my crossover lower, will more bass (to make it louder) come thru my subwoofer or do I need to increase my equalizer setting?

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
I would set it to 80Hz for sure. Don't know the frequency response of the Bose, but I doubt they will handle 60Hz. You may even want to set it higher if you find the Bose can't take it set to 80Hz.

As for the sub, turn the crossover all the way up. That way, you are certain it gets the whole signal from the receiver. It will only be sent the frequency bellow the setting on the receiver and below. :)

How do you like the NHT. I have a NHT SW-12. I think it's great. :D

D

Die Hard Yammy

Junior Audioholic
The approx frequency response of Bose is around 120hz (601's) 150hz for the 301's. Although they do produce lower than that, they sound better (as good as Blose can sound) when the crossover is around 120 or even 100hz.

What series are your Bose, I can give you a better range if I know how old they are!

trevorgray

trevorgray

Audioholic Intern
The Bose are about 1.5 to 2 years old - Series IV for the 601's and Series V for the 301's. So are you saying that I should set my Yamaha crossover at 100 or even 120?

No complaints with the NHT - I wish I would have gotten the 12 or a bigger amp. or maybe I just don't have it tweaked correctly as of yet.

D

Die Hard Yammy

Junior Audioholic
Well I used to have both of those speakers and ran them off the Yammy 2400
I had my crossover at 100 Hz and it was alright (like I said as good as Blose can get) but you may find with your room acoustics and sub selection that 80 may be better.

Try listening at all settings to see which is best for your application. It's taken me a while to find the right one but let me tell you it's worth the time!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis