$2500-$3000 To Spend on projector

David Gaudreau

David Gaudreau

Full Audioholic
Okay Guy's & Gal's
I have 2500-3000 to spend on a projector for my new Dedicated HT.
Here are all the details:

Room Size 25ft length by 17ft wide.
3 rows of seats 4 seats in each row.
100% light controlled room
Screen size I would like is 150"
Receiver Denon AVR-3808CI with 1080P switching
DVD Denon DVD-2930CI With 1080P output
Playstation 3 Blu-Ray
Plan on movies and Game play on occasion ONLY
What projector will give me that WOW effect.

Thanks in advance

E

erick.s

Junior Audioholic
It's going to be hard to light up a 150" screen properly in that price class. Look for something with a high lumen rating.

David Gaudreau

David Gaudreau

Full Audioholic
Really, I thought I would not have a problem.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Okay Guy's & Gal's

Playstation 3 Blu-Ray

Thanks in advance
You are my hero.
I love your equipment list.
I cannot imagine the subwoofer power of 2 BP7000SCs & 2 separate SuperCube References!
Damn!

Although not recommended, I have this crazy crazy idea of getting 3 more BP7000SCs to use as Center, Surround Left, & Surround Right speakers & hook the LFE output (Y-splitters) to all FIVE of them!

But for that to work, I would need a projector & screen to be 53" above ground because the BP7000SC (center speaker) is about that height.

I was thinking of the Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 1080p projector for $2,500.

But for the screen, would it be possible to get a huge FIXED wide screen custom FRAMED with one of those NON-GLARE glass-type?

Does anyone know if this crazy idea of framing the screen would work?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
It's going to be hard to light up a 150" screen properly in that price class. Look for something with a high lumen rating.
Yeah, I was thinking of 100 - 120 inches. Would the Epson PowerLite Home 1080 work with a 120" widescreen?

David Gaudreau

David Gaudreau

Full Audioholic
Looks like the Panasonic PT-AE2000U will do the job for my 150" screen. I might bring it down to 140" after drawing the screen size on the wall of my HT room. 150" is DAMN big. Has anyone tested the AE2000U yet? I want a really good clean HD image.
Thanks

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Looks like the Panasonic PT-AE2000U will do the job for my 150" screen. I might bring it down to 140" after drawing the screen size on the wall of my HT room. 150" is DAMN big. Has anyone tested the AE2000U yet? I want a really good clean HD image.
Thanks
Clint has a review of this:

http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/projectors/panasonic-pt-ax200u-lcd

also, try to find out the projector's output after calibration to 6500K how many foot-Lambert it can output on your screen. Remember, theater standard is 16fL, bulbs age with time, etc.

David Gaudreau

David Gaudreau

Full Audioholic
That review is for the 200U the 2000U is a different unit isnt it?

T

tyman

Audiophyte
think about screen size

Okay Guy's & Gal's

Playstation 3 Blu-Ray

Thanks in advance

David,

I have almost the exact room dimensions. I have a 25 x 20 room that is part of an entertainment area of 1300 sq feet and budget was not an issue for me so I chose my equipment for the best quality. I am able to make the room almost completely black or as well lit as I desire. I did a lot of research and am using some of the same equipment that you are. If you are budget oriented you might consider some alternatives that will give you a much better picture for a "wow" factor.

First, I went with a Panny 2000U. This is ideally located about 15 feet from the screen with viewing from 11 or 12 feet or more. At these distances it more that adequately "powers" the screen in the Cinema mode.

Initially, I wanted a large screen, but have scaled back. Bigger is not always better and if you are looking for that wow factor you aren't going to wow them with a large screen that will have poorer contrasts and not be bright enough. My initial impression was that bigger was better, but if you are getting this for gaming and/or movies bigger won't achieve that. Also, don't forget that viewing that large of a screen won't be pleasant. At first it may wow them, but the quality you will get will be better certainly with a 110 or 123 inch diagonal. You will have better contrast and quality with the "smaller" screen.

You will need to be sitting about 15 feet back for your first row with a 150 inch screen and your projector will be at around 20 feet. If you really want Cinema performance this isn't recommended. Light disipates with distance as we all know. You will probably need to run in "normal mode" (900 lumens) vs the Cinema (340 or so lumens) modes if you go with the large screen. Just something to think about as you will not get as high of a quality pic and will get a shift toward blue/green. Also, blacks will be grayer and details not as sharp. Remember you are putting the same pic over a large area.

Another consideration is price. If you go with a 150 inch screen you are going to spend a lot of dough on the screen itself unless you go with a cheaper brand, which kind of defeats the purpose of the wow factor. You will get a noticable difference between a cheapo screen and a better mid value one.

Think about a 110 or 123 screen, buy the Panny and get a white (1.3 or so contrast) screen from a reputable mfg without spending a fortune. Too much contrast and you will have hotspots. A Stewart screen will cost about $2,800 for the 123 inch size, so you might consider Da-Lite or Vu Tec or someone else like that. 123 from one of those mfgs will still set you back $1,500 or so.

Hope this helps. I tried to avoid too much technical info.

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Projector and screen

There are several entry level 1080p projector options and your price range and projectorcentral.com is a good source for reviews. The viewing distance is related to screen size and is also a factor. Too large a screen and it will be like the front row of the theater.

I would consider ordering the PJ first and experimenting with screen size and viewing distances. A flexible model like the Panny AE2000U would allow you to wall mount it and use the zoom range to adjust from 150" to 120" sizes. Project on to a light colored wall to test it out.

Crada is another good option for a reasonably priced fixed screen. I think I won a discount coupon in one of the AH contests, let me know if you are interested.

C

cjschrot

Audioholic Intern
Panasonic PTAE1000U

I got the 1000 model Panny and couldn't be happier. The 2000 model sounds even better so I'm sure you'd love it.

I just installed a 118" screen from Carada and I think it looks great! I got the extra white screen (1.4 gain) and my Panny is projected onto it from 17 feet away. Even at this distance (with a completely dark room) it is PLENTY bright...sometimes too much.

My first row of seats is 13' away and at times it feels a bit too close. I agree with the other poster that a "smaller" screen is much more user friendly. I actually prefer the view from the 2nd row of seats (19' from the screen).

David Gaudreau

David Gaudreau

Full Audioholic
David,

I have almost the exact room dimensions. I have a 25 x 20 room that is part of an entertainment area of 1300 sq feet and budget was not an issue for me so I chose my equipment for the best quality. I am able to make the room almost completely black or as well lit as I desire. I did a lot of research and am using some of the same equipment that you are. If you are budget oriented you might consider some alternatives that will give you a much better picture for a "wow" factor.

First, I went with a Panny 2000U. This is ideally located about 15 feet from the screen with viewing from 11 or 12 feet or more. At these distances it more that adequately "powers" the screen in the Cinema mode.

Initially, I wanted a large screen, but have scaled back. Bigger is not always better and if you are looking for that wow factor you aren't going to wow them with a large screen that will have poorer contrasts and not be bright enough. My initial impression was that bigger was better, but if you are getting this for gaming and/or movies bigger won't achieve that. Also, don't forget that viewing that large of a screen won't be pleasant. At first it may wow them, but the quality you will get will be better certainly with a 110 or 123 inch diagonal. You will have better contrast and quality with the "smaller" screen.

You will need to be sitting about 15 feet back for your first row with a 150 inch screen and your projector will be at around 20 feet. If you really want Cinema performance this isn't recommended. Light disipates with distance as we all know. You will probably need to run in "normal mode" (900 lumens) vs the Cinema (340 or so lumens) modes if you go with the large screen. Just something to think about as you will not get as high of a quality pic and will get a shift toward blue/green. Also, blacks will be grayer and details not as sharp. Remember you are putting the same pic over a large area.

Another consideration is price. If you go with a 150 inch screen you are going to spend a lot of dough on the screen itself unless you go with a cheaper brand, which kind of defeats the purpose of the wow factor. You will get a noticable difference between a cheapo screen and a better mid value one.

Think about a 110 or 123 screen, buy the Panny and get a white (1.3 or so contrast) screen from a reputable mfg without spending a fortune. Too much contrast and you will have hotspots. A Stewart screen will cost about $2,800 for the 123 inch size, so you might consider Da-Lite or Vu Tec or someone else like that. 123 from one of those mfgs will still set you back $1,500 or so.

Hope this helps. I tried to avoid too much technical info.
No, That is GREAT info!! I downscale to a 125" screen and I will buy the Pan 2000U for sure, I read the reviews and WOW. I might try my hand at making my own 125" fixed screen and buy some material off e-bay with a 1.3 gain.

Here are a few pictures of the progress of my HT room.

Last edited:
mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
My first row of seats is 13' away and at times it feels a bit too close. I agree with the other poster that a "smaller" screen is much more user friendly. I actually prefer the view from the 2nd row of seats (19' from the screen).
Now you can advertise an IMAX type theater in the first row:D

David Gaudreau

David Gaudreau

Full Audioholic
Do you really think I will need a 1.3 gain screen with the Pany 2000U in a light controlled room? Or should I go with a 1.1 Gain. What will that do for me? Better picture?

P

preppie16

Audiophyte
Home projector

Hello there,
If you have time to wait a month or so I would STRONGLY suggest for your price range to wait for the EPSON Home Cinema 1080 UB projector. It has a 50,000:1 dynamic contrast ratio, HDMI 1.3 inputs (2), Deep color support and 1600 Lumens of brightness!!!!! For the price - under $3000 it's the way to go and I'm currently holding out for it's release as it will surely be worth it!!!
Just trying to help you with a GOOD decision!!

T

tyman

Audiophyte
2500-3000 to spend

Okay Guy's & Gal's

Playstation 3 Blu-Ray

Thanks in advance

David,

I put my system in recently. I have the Panny PT-AE2000U. I put in a Da-Lite 110 inch screen with Pro trim and I chose the Pioneer VSX-92thx elite receiver. I compared heads up with the Denon and intended to buy the Denon until I "listened" to 3 movies including the Matrix and Gladiator on the same speakers I purchased which were the Klipsch reference RF-82 speakers. The clarity of the Pioneer was obvious. It was a blind test in that we used same speakers and switched between 3 units including the Denon and the Pioneer. For rear speakers I also put in Klipsch.

The installers said is was absolutely the best system that they had put in and much better than systems that cost 2-3x. I really didn't have a budget, but just picked what I thought was the best components. I put in Toshiba HD DVD and PS3.

On the projector there is no visible pixilation and the colors are absolutely awesome. I compared my system to Theater Extreme's (chain) 120 inch powered with the JVC and the Panny tops it. These were the same 2 units I was seriously considering after dropping the Sony units from consideration. No need to buy a Stewart Grayhawk or a $3000 screen. If you have a dark room, or relatively dark than a simple white Da-Lite with 1-1.3 gain will do just fine. My experience with them was very good and I bought it through Focused Technology. With today's contrast ratios and with your room size and angles white is the way to go.

Hope your search and selection goes well. I think if you really want that "wow" effect, then stick to a 110 inch or so. I am very glad I did no go bigger. I was thinking about a 120 inch at one time.

Hope this helps some.

David Gaudreau

David Gaudreau

Full Audioholic
Thanks for the info I ordered a 120" screen with a 1.1 gain. And I will pull the trigger on the Panny 2000U, Thanks again!!!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis