24/96 DTS playback on STRDA5ES

C

Claude D

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>Has anyone tried playing a 24/96 DTS dvd on their STRDA5ES?</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>It will work. DTS 96/24 is backward compatible with all DTS decoders, just as DTS-ES is. It uses extended data to encode all of the audio information above 24 kHz (the limit of &quot;normal&quot; DTS's 48 kHz sampling rate). A DTS decoder not compatible with DTS 96/24 ignores this information and looks only at the usual data.

The 5ES is not compatible with DTS 96/24. That only means that it will play fine, but it not sound any better than a non-DTS-96/24 disc (and possibly worse, since some of the DTS track bandwidth is 'wasted' to encode the 96/24 extended data).</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>Oh well.I guess my DVPNS500 will output 24/96 DTS through the 5.1 outputs.Has anyone tried that?</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>The Sony DVP-NS500 does not decode dts 96/24 either.

It will play back PCM 96/24 audio from a music DVD that contains such a soundtrack (a so-called DAD, which is not the same as a DVD-A).

Really, don't worry about it. You can't hear the frequencies that the extended format produces anyway (they are all above ~ 22000 Hz!).</font>

C

Claude D

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>I can't hear anything much over 16kHz.So the DVPNS500 stays in the bedroom and the DVPS7700 stays hooked up to the STRDA5ES.</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>Aaron wrote:
<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Really, don't worry about it. You can't hear the frequencies that the extended format produces anyway (they are all above ~ 22000 Hz!).</td></tr></table>

Extended high frequencies is not the only improvement of the extended formats. More importantly, the sound frequencies &nbsp;below 20000 Hz have more resolution and clarity. I have no experience with DTS 96/24, but I clearly notice the difference with SACD's, especially with cymbals: they do not sound like white noise as they do on a CD. A movie with a DTS 96/24 soundtrack is certainly something I would like to experience. Having said that, I don't know of any movie in DTS 96/24 and I don't know if for a movie, the sound improvement would be significant.</font>

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis