+/-20m3 room, absorption at ear level and diffusion above and below that on walls???

M

Mart Heunen

Enthusiast
Hello potential advisor,

I could use some advise and insight on absorption and diffusion options.

My room is 5,2mx4,3mx2,6m

The way things will be setup after a 'false' back wall (either for more LF absorption and or diffusion) my distance from main LP to back wall will be 1,6m (5,2ft), to side wall speakers 1,95m (6,4ft), or 1,7m (5,6ft) to side wall speakers when accounting for two people.
The 'false' wall in the back is 30cm (approx 1ft) from actual back wall.
I already have quite a lot of absorption in the corners and along the side walls, in the form of rockwool packs still in plastic for now and only a couple 4inch thick absorbers in fabric for the first reflection points left/right and in the back.

So my idea is this: considering the distances mentioned i might be better of going all absorption at ear level all around and try qrd diffusion above and below ear level to liven things up instead of diffusion at ear level.

Has anyone had experience in a similar setup of absorption and diffusion, with my main question being about having diffusion not at ear level... ?

thx in advance.

kind regards, Mart

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Why so much room treatment? Are you building a home studio?

M

Mart Heunen

Enthusiast
Why so much room treatment? Are you building a home studio?
I'm a theatre audio engineer and like good sound. I live alone, so I can totally man-cave-out my living room. :)
So it's a combo room for HT, listening and a smidgen of mixing (but not for professional purposes).

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Many of us would say that in HT and Music listening scenarios, too much treatment will kill the sound. Anechoic chambers are not fun places to hang out... unless you like to hear the blood in your ears running through the blood vessels. :)

I'm not saying all treatments are bad, and would never push that. I think that they are often overused and misapplied, though.

I cannot and will not try to coach you... but the question you are asking leads me to feel that you are both overusing and misapplying them. To me, reflections are necessary. Acoustically dead rooms are not enjoyable, imo. Trying to micromanage them is way more effort that I would want to put into it!

I respect if you feel differently. As always, YMMV! ;)

M

Mart Heunen

Enthusiast
You should have all the Answers to your Questions being a Theater Audio Engineer
Audio engineer, not acoustician.... its not one size fits all...

So thanks, for not addressing my question and not being helpful what so ever

Last edited:
M

Mart Heunen

Enthusiast
Many of us would say that in HT and Music listening scenarios, too much treatment will kill the sound. Anechoic chambers are not fun places to hang out... unless you like to hear the blood in your ears running through the blood vessels. :)

I'm not saying all treatments are bad, and would never push that. I think that they are often overused and misapplied, though.

I cannot and will not try to coach you... but the question you are asking leads me to feel that you are both overusing and misapplying them. To me, reflections are necessary. Acoustically dead rooms are not enjoyable, imo. Trying to micromanage them is way more effort that I would want to put into it!

I respect if you feel differently. As always, YMMV! ;)
Thank you for your reply. For a reasonably 'equal' decay of 20dB from 200hz-20000hz still takes about 250ms... and thats only 20dB... So i'm not to dead yet i think :)
Was just hoping for some insight on usage of diffusion above and below ear level, if it still might contribute to liveliness or if its a total waste.
I'm afraid if i start using (too much) diffusion at ear level that i'll have to sacrifice to much LF attenuation.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
FWIW, I contemplated using FRP diffuser/absorbers. I've also contemplated some sort of diffusion on my back wall.
My room is fairly small at 11x15' and 2000cu.ft volume with a sloped clerestory ceiling.

I do have some slap echo that I plan to address with 1-2" absorption panels up high and out of the way.

You are in a much different class than I am right now. :) Good luck with your quest.

M

Mart Heunen

Enthusiast
FWIW, I contemplated using FRP diffuser/absorbers. I've also contemplated some sort of diffusion on my back wall.
My room is fairly small at 11x15' and 2000cu.ft volume with a sloped clerestory ceiling.

I do have some slap echo that I plan to address with 1-2" absorption panels up high and out of the way.

You are in a much different class than I am right now. :) Good luck with your quest.
FRP? tried looking it up. Only thing i could find was a company featuring multilayered structure with absoprtion and it looks like qrd diffusers with fabric 'top layer' to finish everything off.
If that's what it is, that looks even more complicated than what i'm trying to do :)
I'm trying DIY all the way. Mainly for fun, but also costs :)
That also makes making a decision difficult sometimes.

So any diffusion at all in your current setup? If so, could you describe the effect vs the first time 'only' addressing first reflection points for example? Just curious.

regards, Mart

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
First Reflection Point.

Just whatever junk is in my room for diffusion. :p Not much. :D

Room treatments is going to be part of the AH Drinking Game. If you go through and see how many times people are just buying things and throwing them up in their room without understanding the hows and whys... you'll get it! On top of that, I've seen several experienced cats say they started off with lots of room treatments, then after years of tinkering, found more happiness throwing most of it away!

Regardless, I'm a believer in doing everything else but treatments, until that is the last thing to play with. And then, sparingly and with precision. I probably won't get to treating this room for another year! And I'm fine with that. :cool:

M

Mart Heunen

Enthusiast
First Reflection Point.

Just whatever junk is in my room for diffusion. :p Not much. :D

Room treatments is going to be part of the AH Drinking Game. If you go through and see how many times people are just buying things and throwing them up in their room without understanding the hows and whys... you'll get it! On top of that, I've seen several experienced cats say they started off with lots of room treatments, then after years of tinkering, found more happiness throwing most of it away!

Regardless, I'm a believer in doing everything else but treatments, until that is the last thing to play with. And then, sparingly and with precision. I probably won't get to treating this room for another year! And I'm fine with that. :cool:
Sounds like a fun drinking game!
For me after reading a lot, i thought, hmmm treatment, maybe i'll give that a quick shot. Low effort and low cost at first. I was amazed what two 4inch panels did to clear things up. I got hooked from then on :)
Although i disagree on that treatment is the last thing to do on the list i can very much appreciate that everyone has different preferences and needs. Heck, in a couple years i'll probably throw half the stuff away myself and just enjoy what i have (in a different way). Enjoying every minute now though as well!

Have a good one! :)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis