20khz Amp on 40khz speakers ???

C

ChaosFusion

Audiophyte
Hi All,

I was wondering, if I have a SONY STR-DA5000 rated at:
8 ohms 20hz - 20khz.
http://www.sony.com.au/support/product/product.jsp?selectedProd=STRDA5000ES&categoryId=21635

Now I want to buy new speakers, im thinking of the new JBL Studio series, they claim to support up to 40khz,, so that brings me to the question... if I have a amp that only support to produce a sound of up to the 20khz range,, will this not make the speaker support of a range that my amp does not support useless ? in other words,, should I not just purchase the old JBL E series ?

http://www.audioreview.com/cat/speakers/floorstanding-speakers/jbl/PRD_289345_1594crx.aspx

http://www.2001audiovideo.com/product_info.php?id=LC2&clr=

Sorry for the links,, from Google.

Cheers.

ChaosFusion...:confused:

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
It won't hurt anything, but let us know if you hear a difference.

J

Jacksmyname

Audioholic
If I'm not mistaken, 20kHz is about the upper limit of human hearing.

Jack

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
My point exactly

Jacksmyname said:
If I'm not mistaken, 20kHz is about the upper limit of human hearing.

Jack
And, depending on one's age and how much one has abused their hearing, it's a highly optimistic figure.

B

bandit

Audioholic
I agree - 20k is about the upper limit of human hearing. For many of us it is lower than that. One thing I witnessed though years ago was a demonstration of a reciever that claimed "ultra high bandwith" being compared to one that was rated to 20k. Well - the difference was astounding. The reciever that had the claim of ultra high bandwidth seemed to take the speakers right out of the boxes - the sound was very open and natural sounding compared to the other reciever. I've often struggled with that demo- because it didn't and still doesn't make sense to me. Perhaps there was a difference in volume - or something else - but to me that day the difference was real and obvious.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
think about it...

bandit said:
IThe reciever that had the claim of ultra high bandwidth seemed to take the speakers right out of the boxes - the sound was very open and natural sounding compared to the other reciever.
If you could hear the difference it, it fel lwithin tha audiable range. Speakers can be made to appear to "open up" with a slight touch up with an eq, or some similar contouring that goes on within the amplifier.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
bandit said:
... I've often struggled with that demo- because it didn't and still doesn't make sense to me. Perhaps there was a difference in volume - or something else - but to me that day the difference was real and obvious.

Yes, you should have concerns:D Unless one knows the true capability of those two amps and the way they were really set up for comparison, who knows why the possible differences. Maybe the one they wanted to impress had something else going for it? Or the other one was hindered somehow?.

Like the Monster wire demo one may see at different stores where you hear noise from brand x and nothing from monster. Ridiculous comparisons.

G

ggunnell

Audioholic
Chaos, you need to audition the speakers. There are so many differences in electromechanical transducers there's no other way.

Your concern about your amp's high frequency response is unnecessary.
Amps are rated to put out a certain amount of power, over a certain frequency range, without exceeding a stated amount of distortion. But the amp does not stop working at 20,001 Hz -- it just may gradually roll off maximum power output from full rated power, and harmonic distortion is likely to increase somewhat over 20kHz -- neither is a problem in practice.

Audition your speakers and enjoy :)

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
The speakers rated to 40 kHz will have an advantage in only one case. Most speakers are rated with +/- 3 dB rating. So if the speakers are rated 20 - 40 kHz +/- 3 dB that would mean at the extremes (40 kHz) the output will differ from the input by at most 3 dB.

Now if the amp were perfect and had zero loss at 20 kHz, those 40 kHz speakers would likely reproduce a 20 kHz signal exactly as it was given by the amp, wheareas speakers rated 20 -20 kHz +/- 3 dB would exhibit a small loss (3 dB) at 20 kHz. [Because those speakers won't exhibit any loss until much higher in the frequency range].

It's really a moot point anyway as your ears probably can't hear such high frequencies anyway. If you like the sound of the speakers, buy them and don't worry about the upper frequency rating.

B

brendy

Audioholic
Buckeyefan 1 said:
Very few of us over 35 can hear above 16,000 cycles per second.
I can hear above 16khz and I am 48. I am sure there are many more like me.How about a poll of those who can ?

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
MDS said:
The speakers rated to 40 kHz will have an advantage in only one case. .

Brings the bats closer to your neighborhood:D Or, keeps the pesky dogs away?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis